Central Machinery 1/3hp Drillpress...

tas7107

n00b
Not an electronics item but seems like a good deal. Table top model, 1/3 hp and 5 speed. Reg $89.99 on sale for $39.99 at Harbor Freight. Plan to use mine for some case modding. Picked it up at the store, did't see it online. :)

Harbor Freight kicks ass for cheap tools. Some of their stuff is crap but much of it is just fine, and for the money you save even crap is okay sometimes. :)

Looks pretty good and handles pretty well for a cheap drill press. It isn't hard to change the speed on the press, move the belts around easily.

The chuck key is alittle hard to get used to, it has a spring mounted pin that get annoying trying to get it in the chuck to turn.

For the price of it, I wouldn't mind spending $89.00 for a drill press that I plan to use for a long time for mods and etc. The saying goes cheap= garbage, well since I got this drill press, I am impressed for it being cheap and overall great for an 8" drill press.

If you mod and metal work or wood work, this will work for you. Even if you are limited on room in your shop.

i have an older model similer to this, and from day 1 there is about 1/16th" wobbel on the bit end do to loose bearings , makes presision drilling a bitch, if you need a 1/4 in hole drilled "somwhere", its ok... but if you need a 3/32" hole drilled right "there"... forget about it... but.. like i said, mine is a older model... (better than 8 years) so they may have fixed it

thore

yeah harbor is good for alot of stuff but i would never trust there power tools, i used to lay tile i got a makita type tool there, anyways, i was cutting this door jamb and it hit a knot in the wood and the tool shot back at me and almost cut my arm at the elbow. but i cannot see the damage a drill press could do :) i may go pick one up today. thanks for the heads up

I have a previous generation or two version of this drill press. Mine's red. Anyway, the depth guide thing is flimsy and sucks, but otherwise I like it a lot. the chuck (on mine) is just a simple gear tooth chuck. Changing speeds is easy if a bit greasy (expected). I can't complain, I paid $10 more for mine than the current generation.

Back