Cell Proc

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by bealzz, Jan 21, 2005.

1. bealzz

bealzz Gawd

2. S1nF1xx

S1nF1xx [H]ardness Supreme

That's really cool. It would be even cooler in the General Hardware forum though. ;)

3. bealzz

bealzz Gawd

i just posted it there too, but since this will go hand and hand with the PS3 i think its kind of relavent. while i do enjoy games, ive always been interested in how they work. specially the wierd funky stuff that sony always thinks up.

4. Terpfen

Terpfen [H]ardness Supreme

Weird funky things like what? PR titles like "Emotion Engine," recycling the controllers, or shrinking their console so drastically that the hard drive you bought six months ago becomes worthless?

5. Bane

Bane Gawd

He didn't say practical, he said weird. :p

6. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

just for reference this is not being used in the ps3 any longer

7. Terpfen

And where'd you hear this from?

8. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy 2[H]4U

thats what i want to know.

why would sony, ibm and toshiba spend years developing it, and not use it?

9. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

10. Terpfen

Your source is Slashdot and a G4 show?

Pass.

11. Tazman2

Tazman2 [H]ardness Supreme

I love this part...

"Cell will accelerate many commonly used applications by ludicrous proportions compared to PCs. Intel could put 10 cores on a chip and they'll match neither it's performance or price. The APUs are dedicated vector processors, x86 are not. The x86 cores will no doubt include the SSE vector units but these are no match for even a single APU."

The writer only said "intel could put blah blah blah" no mention of amd needing to do that! :p

12. bealzz

bealzz Gawd

are you kidding me!?

cell and blu-ray are pretty much the two main towers of the PS3.
    of course theyre going to be using it!$?
    i even shook up my magic 8-ball and guess what..
    yep.. all signs point to yes..
    i know its right too, cause i shook it again and asked when im gonna get laid next.
    came up with.. future doesnt look good..
    SHIT!#:>^

13. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

do any of you realise how expensive such a chip would cost and to be put into as ps3 when these are supposed to make the market at $300 a piece or they wont sell, im sure the cpuu alone would be worth $400

14. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Sony would still market it at low costs. They lose money on every playstation that we buy and make all their profits from games and licenses.

15. fromage

fromage [H]ard|Gawd

Cell processors are supposed to be cheaper to manufacture.

16. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

lol i never heard this where is your proof? this is true for microsoft xboxes never thought so of the ps2 since it has shit ass hardware anyway

17. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

http://businessweek.com/2000/00_12/b3673182.htm

18. NeoSlayer888

NeoSlayer888 [H]Lite

Just look at the PSP, Sony is losing money off every one they sell.

19. Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz 2[H]4U

no one mentioned the psp DID THEY and im sure they are

20. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

Every console loses money off the console sale. I'm pretty sure it's been like that since the early NES days and perhaps before. However, they make truckloads of money off of every game they sell.

21. bealzz

bealzz Gawd

slow down big rig. just saying that console sales arent where the money is. as others have pointed out its all in the licensing.
    PS3 will definatley have a cell proc, probably more.

22. mr.fishie

mr.fishie Gawd

i cant wait to see how fast the cell actually runs stuff.

23. obyj34

obyj34 Gawd

They used a comparison to a SETI unit, anyone know how fast a normal proccesor proccesses one?

24. Elledan

Elledan [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010

Nintendo has consistently made a profit on every console and Gameboy sold.

This is mostly because Nintendo usually doesn't go with new technologies, but with existing, tried and proven ones.

25. Sly

Sly [H]ardness Supreme

How much of the actual cost of a product is from production? How much of the price actually goes to R&D?

26. Sly

Sly [H]ardness Supreme

27. WickedAngel

WickedAngel 2[H]4U

They began to lose money this generation with the price-drop on the Gamecube. It was the first losses they had incurred in quite some time.

28. Elledan

Elledan [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010

29. texuspete00

texuspete00 [H]ardness Supreme

It's called the console market. It's true for just about every single one ever until late in their life. I don't really believe that Gord shit... most of the site is just humor.

Ever wonder why no one really has a deal on consoles.... every store has them between a few cents of each other? Well, the stores that sell them, barely make any money on them either. They have to sell them for damn near there cost. How does this happen? If they don't.... they can't sell the games. Want to sell PS2 games.... you have to sell the system. There has to be some kind of reason the market for them is different then all others. Maybe they break about even on them but no real profit until like maybe now for PS2's. Gord likes to multiply number of PS2 units sold by an arbitrary $100 in a hypothetical to make the myth believers look stupid.... well no one is saying that. Sony is a different case anyways.... yeah they probably make money when you price the silicon... instead they just need to get their billions in R&D back. Anyways, we are talking about future consoles now anyways and the market is tight. If XBOX is going to have a R520 derived machine.... better bust out the checkbook and get down. You see Nintendo joined the party, it's the way it's going.

30. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy 2[H]4U

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell0.html

heres another if your not satisfied...

and another
    :rolleyes:

and your link....

was just a false rumor.
    http://www.psinext.com/itex.php?iid=351
    :p

31. TR0GD0RtheBURNiNAT0R

TR0GD0RtheBURNiNAT0R Limp Gawd

I have three problems with this article:
    1. I dont see how they can deliver on the hardware. Apple can't get the G5 past 3GHZ IIRC, and the P4, which was designed with clockspeed in mind, crapped out before 4GHZ, how are they gonna get a 4.6GHZ G5 without the thing needing phase-change cooling?
    2. Coding for this thing will be an absolute, royal BITCH. Massively parallel programming is extremly difficult. Ask a programmer.
    3. Remember the hype for the PS2? How it would render Toy Story in real time, and make the PC a thing of the past? That didn't happen then, and I would eat my own head if it happened now.
    Basically, the PS3 will be good, but the PC will beat it handily ~2 years after its launched.

32. dudewth

dudewth [H]|G Minecraft Division Leader

I honestly don't think the performance will be as good as the original article says. The cell architecture will probably have more overhead than the writer anticipates. I'd like to see how far they take the things discussed in "The Cray Factor." Is he saying that the PS3 will have something like SRAM like the Crays do? That will be expensive, hot, and big. I guess we'll see.

33. Terpfen

Possible explanation: they meant its performance would be the equivalent of 4.6Ghz, rather than meaning the Cell would actually run at 4.6Ghz.

PS2 uses multiple CPUs, and yes, that machine is a bitch to program for--and compared to the Gamecube and Xbox, you get inferior results. Personally, I think Sony will rig the hardware up in a way that requires the game to be programmed just for the GPU--the CPUs will automatically handle whatever they need to without weeks of extra work. Given the description we have of the Cell, it seems this is possible.