Cell Phones Could be Killing off Bees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers say that cell phones could be behind the bees dying off everywhere. Calls to Mark Wahlberg’s cell phone requesting comment have not been returned. ;)

The reason behind a massive die-off of honey bees over the last several years has largely eluded scientists, but researchers at Punjab University now say radiation from cell phones is probably responsible for the decline. The technology is interfering with bee navigational senses and tampering with inner-hive life.

Maybe bees just don’t like loud ass people talking on their cell phones at all hours of the day either…

Let them all die, I mean, it's not like we need them to survive or anything...oh wait.

I feel like this was the Bee Deaths Reason from a few years ago and had since been ruled out.

The sad part is, if this turns out to be fact, is the bees will be extinct long before everyone gives up their cell phones...

And we thought that humans would destroy the earth via nuclear winter or greenhouse gases. :p

This theory has been kicked around for years now, but the research never really gets far enough to discover Nerve Attenuation Syndrome.

;)

I don't think we fully understand yet the full impact of all the wireless technologies have on us yet, let alone anything else on this planet. Its funny how defensive people get when ever I bring that up, almost as though I was suggesting a book burning. I swear that certain cell phone signals like EDGE give me headaches, beside the usual slow ass frustration of using it to browse the web.

I swear that certain cell phone signals like EDGE give me headaches, beside the usual slow ass frustration of using it to browse the web.

lol, your saying different signaling types on the same bands give you adverse affects?

thats a little far out dude...

Joke about EDGE.

It's going to be amusing if bees all die off, you ever seen a man call a boy veal before:D

Crops in this country will suffer horribly if we lose too many bees. :(

They help polinate a large part of the grown food in this country.

I feel like this was the Bee Deaths Reason from a few years ago and had since been ruled out.

The sad part is, if this turns out to be fact, is the bees will be extinct long before everyone gives up their cell phones...

And we thought that humans would destroy the earth via nuclear winter or greenhouse gases. :p
Pretty limited study here but it's the first to support the hypothesis that cell phones can affect bee behaviour. Infection still seems more likely in the real world.

Bees suck and aren't we supposed to be worried about killer bees? How do we not know if they are dying from disease? Or from our lawn pesticides?

I can't find the link right now, but there was a recent article like this:

If radio waves & cell signals became visible light streaks - we'd be completely surrounded & blind!
- at least in areas with high population density.

Radio waves are everywhere. I don't think it's our radio waves that are killing bees since the universe has been emitting it since the dawn of time.

That's because he put his phone in a bee hive, pissing off Shyamalan enough to write a movie about it.

Radio waves are everywhere. I don't think it's our radio waves that are killing bees since the universe has been emitting it since the dawn of time.
Yes radio waves are the same everywhere and we have no way of distinguishing between them. No wonder my radio isn't working. :rolleyes:

Researchers at the university used two hives in the experiment over a period of three months, exposing one to a cell phone turned on twice daily for 15 minutes at a time.

Samplesizefail.

They've proven absolutely nothing beyond the fact that they shouldn't be trusted to perform research on someone else's dollar. A sample size of 2 is useless.

Yes radio waves are the same everywhere and we have no way of distinguishing between them. No wonder my radio isn't working. :rolleyes:

We can modulate radio energy so it has a pattern that we can then recognize on the other end, but that doesn't make the waves more deadly. We can take light and flick a switch off and on to transmit data as well - that doesn't mean that just because we're using it to communicate that somehow the light is fundamentally changed on a particle level.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards disease.. but even if it turned out to be cell phones do you really think the cell phone companies would let us find out the truth?:eek:

Yeah I'm leaning more towards disease.. but even if it turned out to be cell phones do you really think the cell phone companies would let us find out the truth?:eek:

We have to choose between texting and rick rolling phone numbers and not starving to death?

Focused microwaves cook popcorn.

What does unfocused steady microwaves do to biological tissue?

Also what stops the brain from evolving with microwaves present. Would we grow our own wifi adapter to use them and develop esp?

Now I'm waiting to see which carrier is going to claim that their cell phone service only effects the deadly African Killer Bee's....

I don't think we fully understand yet the full impact of all the wireless technologies have on us yet, let alone anything else on this planet. Its funny how defensive people get when ever I bring that up, almost as though I was suggesting a book burning. I swear that certain cell phone signals like EDGE give me headaches, beside the usual slow ass frustration of using it to browse the web.

Blue tooth headsets give me super strong headaches for some reason. Never had that problem from just using a cell phone though.

I live two blocks from cell tower, and have a thriving bee hive in one of my trees.

Try again

Focused microwaves cook popcorn.

What does unfocused steady microwaves do to biological tissue?

Nothing. The focused energy gets the molecules moving, the unfocused energy is like a non penetrating gentle breeze.

We can modulate radio energy so it has a pattern that we can then recognize on the other end, but that doesn't make the waves more deadly. We can take light and flick a switch off and on to transmit data as well - that doesn't mean that just because we're using it to communicate that somehow the light is fundamentally changed on a particle level.

Way to demonstrate your ignorance.:rolleyes: The truth is, the bees started picking up Coast to Coast AM and went nuts from the inane rambling of crackpots and schizos. :cool:

Wasn't there supposed to be some dangerous Africanized Bees invasion happening over the last decade?

This sounds like a solution to that little problem me.

It has nothing to do with lethality. If bees use naturally occurring (or hive-generated) radio waves to navigate, any disruption caused by sporadic, high-intensity signals could cause colony collapse. I don't think this has come close to proving that, though...
Samplesizefail.

They've proven absolutely nothing beyond the fact that they shouldn't be trusted to perform research on someone else's dollar. A sample size of 2 is useless.
Well, since bees are clones, the sample size is arguably the number of bees per colony. If the queens were siblings it would still be a valid study. It does have to be reproduced, though.

I thought scientists had found a new species of mites was attacking and killing American honey bees. Other countries have cell phones; are they experiencing large bee die-offs?

1. Bees are thriving where there are strong cell towers, and there are bees dying where there is no cell tower signal. Not totally discounting this theory, but I don't think it's the cause.

2. If ALL the bees die, we would be in trouble, but as this is incredibly unlikely, I wouldn't worry. They have been around a long time, and will not likely die out this quickly. Also, much of the agricultural support they give us can be done by people/machines/birds and other insects. It just won't be as convenient.

I've also heard of the mites that are causing hives to collapse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

if they would mind their own damn business and stop trying to listen in on all the conversations they would not be having these problems....

Back