Cell phone mobile internet on a laptop

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by matrix563, Apr 29, 2007.

1. matrix563

matrix563 [H]ard as it Gets

vx9800LG verizon

mobile web 2.0

thats what my brother david has. how can i hook up his phone to the laptop so he can use the phone as a internet connection?

this was not done with the card you can buy from verizon, rather, from a cable from the phone to the laptop

2. Diablo2K

Diablo2K [H]ardness Supreme

You will need a USB cable. I am not fimilure with your phone, but when I plug in my Fusic phone it is recognised as a modem by default, I have to go into setting and tell the phone to act as a USB flash drive to transfer music and such, perhaps you have to do the opisite and go into the setting and tell it to act as a modem device.
    I have never tried to use my phone as a modem but you got me wanting to check it out, I have unlimited internet so it won't cost me anything.

3. matrix563

there was a link i read not too long ago about this, perhaps it was on tomsharware. i must find it!

4. matrix563

found it!

http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/18/how-to-use-your-cdma-cellphone-as-a-usb-modem/

i want option 2,

it doesn't say how to set up the express network

5. Shark-MegaByte

Shark-MegaByte Limp Gawd

Check the dates on any articles that mention using Verizon net services, especially for free. Neither Express nor QuickConnect has worked for me for about a year. They may have been discontinued.

I have an LG VX8100. I connect it to the PC with a USB cable (If you can't find one for your phone model, then find another phone model whose charger will fit in your charger/data connection, then look for a USB cable advertised to work with that phone; as your phone has a similar port, the other model's USB cable should also work with yours). It required a set of drivers to get the phone recognized as a modem (they are available for download free, but I can't remember where I got them, and I have renamed the original zip. But the driver file names in the zip for winxp all begin with "lgat"). When the phone is connected, I just use a $10/month dialup account that I have for this purpose. It's slow, but it works (and you can use it from almost anywhere). This will use up Verizon minutes during weekday hours, but after 9pm and on weekends, you pay nothing besides the fee for your cheap dialup.

6. Nasty_Savage

Nasty_Savage [H]eathen Taste Righteous Fire!

Check with support, they'll cut you off if you use too much bandwidth, they don't support tethering unless its on certain models.

7. ilkhan

ilkhan No Title for You!

I tether through bluetooth on my VX8600. But I had to use a hack to get unlimited with just the Vcast package. No experience with a cable connection. :(