CD-ROM Trayless Drive - Do the exsit???

DESmack

Weaksauce
Hi Guys,

I am trying to track down a supplier of IDE CD-ROM Front Load Trayless Drives I need about 25 of them. The only model I have found googling is a Sony CDU771 but know supplier.

A UK Supplier would be great.

Cheers

Are you looking for CD-ROM only or would DVD/CD-ROM be acceptable?

l337zax - DVD is fine. I just need a reader. If it is a dvd and cdrom no sweat.

Cheers.

you may want to change your siq your a little long there

(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.

Thanks l337zax. Once again its the words you use to search with. I only used trayless, I didnt think of slot loading.

DESmack said:
Thanks l337zax. Once again its the words you use to search with. I only used trayless, I didnt think of slot loading.

No problem. Hopefully you can find some good cheap deals to get those 25 machines running trayless.

*looks at Pioneer slot load DVD-ROM*

Yes, they do exist. :D

It's very hard to find them these days though.

S1nF1xx said:
*looks at Pioneer slot load DVD-ROM*

Yes, they do exist. :D

It's very hard to find them these days though.

Thats why I posted. I have been looking all day for them but found none. Nothing beats the [H]ard Forum brain power. :)

mrweasel said:
Apple still uses them for iMacs...just get one from eBay

Coming from Apple, I assume they'll be SCSI drives. I'm guessing that DESmack is looking for IDE drives.

l337zax said:
Coming from Apple, I assume they'll be SCSI drives. I'm guessing that DESmack is looking for IDE drives.
Not in a while. Of course you can add SCSI to any Mac with an open PCI slot, but last I checked they didn't offer SCSI as a factory option on anything you could order from thier web site- even the XServe.

yep, i love my Pioneer DVD-106s... damn things cost about $60-70 tho... i might have to splurge when/if mine eventually bites the dust b/c i absolutely love the slot load

afaik, Aopen and Sony also used to make one

l337zax said:

No, if I remember right they're made by Panasonic and use IDE. They're slim type, so they're probably not the best choice here.

See if the places in your area carry the DVD-120S. This model replaced the DVD-106S but it too has been discontinued in some areas.

Hi Guys,

I have called all of the suppliers I can find about the Pioneer DVD 120s, Its seems that product is at its life-cycle end and is not being made any more. Well not being shipped to the UK at least.

I have found the plextor dvd writer, but that is a bit over kill for me. at £120 +vat and I don’t need a DVD or cd writer...

:confused: :confused:

I think i may be restorting to slimline laptop drives and Modding them so they fit into 5.25" drive bay..

Them plextor dvd writers are too steep for this job at £122 ex vat each :(

does anybody know of a way to do this?

I am actually holding one of these in my lap as I type this, pulled it out of an old Compaq, just haven't found a use for it yet.

I found a bunch available for cheap on ebay....even with shipping and tax, for 25 of them it may come in under the price for a single Plextor DVD slotload burner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5774253153&category=56092

Here is one from a store that ships to the UK. The price is listed in UK things. They ship from the states though.
http://www.itxchange.com/itxchange/...HRTC27WKFRE8PW0GPJGNM9L3QPA9R91&search=simple

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tiny said:
I am actually holding one of these in my lap as I type this, pulled it out of an old Compaq, just haven't found a use for it yet.

I found a bunch available for cheap on ebay....even with shipping and tax, for 25 of them it may come in under the price for a single Plextor DVD slotload burner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5774253153&category=56092

Here is one from a store that ships to the UK. The price is listed in UK things. They ship from the states though.
http://www.itxchange.com/itxchange/...HRTC27WKFRE8PW0GPJGNM9L3QPA9R91&search=simple

Tiny You Rock! I am probably going to buy the whole lot.. I should of known bette... I have seen heaps of these in compaq servers.. now that a reputable a source has been found this post dies... Thanks once again. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no idea why they started getting rid of the slot drives. Personally i really like them. I've got one of the Pioneer105s in my system and it still works great.

The plextor drive is relatively new so I'd imagine they might be getting ready to add an entire line of them if the product sells somewhat reliably.

Exactly what are these things going to bs used for? If you're needing 25 the only thing i can think of is that you're setting up some sort of internet cafe and don't want people breaking off the trays.

I think the slot feed had something to do with scratching the media and a tad more complex/expensive in manufacturing (IIRC). However, YMMV and $1 added to manufacturing costs jacks the retail up significantly. I love slot loaders, I purchased one of those pioneers for a build I did 4 years ago and fell in love with it. Its too bad I never picked one up for myself, but that new plextor slot loader is looking better and better all the time.

Good job finding that link to the quanntity seller!

Anarchist4000 said:
Exactly what are these things going to bs used for? If you're needing 25 the only thing i can think of is that you're setting up some sort of internet cafe and don't want people breaking off the trays.

Hmmm.... ;)

Back