CD PROJEKT RED Mandates Six-Day Work Weeks Ahead of Cyberpunk 2077’s Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's both hilarious and sad that people who know that CDPR employees voted on whether to delay or have overtime are still trying to push the slave driver narrative.

Six extra days of paid work(less than 1/year of the project) that the majority voted in favor of doesn't even seem worth reporting on but I guess that's why it wasn't presented that way.

First, damn you for making me suffer through that drawn out life sucking grifter.

"The workers voluntarily voted for it" LMAO! That is...special.

It is what it is, not the worst thing in the world, but it's bad and especially in CDPR context. 2/3rds of apologists come from people masturbating to CDPR's games. If it were EA or Ubisoft, most of them would be singing a different tune.

Yes, any acknowledgement of wrongdoing is carrying a chip. It's not like there's actually something there.

lol, you've been flogging this horse for a while. I doubt you are prepared to eat crow when the game launches and is a genre defining experience.

You haven't proven anything is there, at all, in any way.

lol, you've been flogging this horse for a while. I doubt you are prepared to eat crow when the game launches and is a genre defining experience.

You haven't proven anything is there, at all, in any way.
Not once have I said that the game would suck or be great. It is your blind fanboyism that projects criticism of the developer onto the game, because you are unable to separate the two. Hence the EA/Ubisoft comparison.

I didn't realize I had to prove what CDPR themselves stated, like the latest crunch.

First, damn you for making me suffer through that drawn out life sucking grifter.

"The workers voluntarily voted for it" LMAO! That is...special.

It is what it is, not the worst thing in the world, but it's bad and especially in CDPR context. 2/3rds of apologists come from people masturbating to CDPR's games. If it were EA or Ubisoft, most of them would be singing a different tune.

Probably, because if this were EA or Ubisoft or any of the other big name developer the overtime would be unpaid and more a rule than an exception, it is pure exploitation. In this case it is a few more extra days of bug fixing and the workers get a very hefty overtime compensation. I really cannot be pissed of about this and am frankly stunned how unrealistic expectations some people have about the realities of working times. And this is coming from a POV of an european worker who believes in Unions and so on.

Probably, because if this were EA or Ubisoft or any of the other big name developer the overtime would be unpaid and more a rule than an exception, it is pure exploitation. In this case it is a few more extra days of bug fixing and the workers get a very hefty overtime compensation. I really cannot be pissed of about this and am frankly stunned how unrealistic expectations some people have about the realities of working times. And this is coming from a POV of an european worker who believes in Unions and so on.
It's not because people are shocked crunch exists, it's laughing at a company that went out of its way to vow not to do it.

It's not because people are shocked crunch exists, it's laughing at a company that went out of its way to vow not to do it.

Did they actually vow not to do it again, as in no crunch what so ever cross my heart and hope to die and that sort of thing, or did they just vow to do better and avoid the situations that happened with Witcher 3 where the crunch was simply inhumane? Actually this is a real question because I do not remember how they exactly worded their promise. Anyway if it were former then yes they screwed up. If it was latter then I would say you are simply being unreasonable considering what is happening in the world, Covid etc... Things do not always go as planned in life.

Did they actually vow not to do it again, as in no crunch what so ever cross my heart and hope to die and that sort of thing, or did they just vow to do better and avoid the situations that happened with Witcher 3 where the crunch was simply inhumane? Actually this is a real question because I do not remember how they exactly worded their promise. Anyway if it were former then yes they screwed up. If it was latter then I would say you are simply being unreasonable considering what is happening in the world, Covid etc... Things do not always go as planned in life.
https://kotaku.com/as-cyberpunk-2077-development-intensifies-cd-projekt-r-1834849725
"One of the ways the company plans to do that, Iwiński said, is through a “non-obligatory crunch policy” that isn’t brand new but that the Warsaw-based CD Projekt Red plans to push harder. He wants to make it clear to Cyberpunk 2077’s developers that even when the studio asks them to work on nights and weekends, it’s not “mandatory.”"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lisher-orders-6-day-weeks-ahead-of-game-debut
"Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project."

My 6-7 day workweek. And I love it.

Buncha whiny little girls. I have zero sympathy for grown people to complain about a cozy chair, air conditioning, and going home every night. They all went into the industry knowing what would be required of them. Suck it up, take your nice paycheck, and go on a nice vacation when the crunch is over.
I guess your not aware that mentally stressful work has basically the same negative health effects as physically stressful work.

Just a few examples:
https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...term-consequences-of-workplace-stress/385397/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...een-emotional-stress-trauma-and-physical-pain

https://kotaku.com/as-cyberpunk-2077-development-intensifies-cd-projekt-r-1834849725
"One of the ways the company plans to do that, Iwiński said, is through a “non-obligatory crunch policy” that isn’t brand new but that the Warsaw-based CD Projekt Red plans to push harder. He wants to make it clear to Cyberpunk 2077’s developers that even when the studio asks them to work on nights and weekends, it’s not “mandatory.”"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lisher-orders-6-day-weeks-ahead-of-game-debut
"Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project."

If that is how they worded the original promise then that was really stupid of them.

Not that big of an issue in my eyes. I’ve been asked to work mandatory weekends to get software out, and I’ve been in the spot of having to ask teams to do the same. Nothing I’ve worked on is anywhere close to being significant financially as putting out a huge AAA title like Cyberpunk must be to CDPR.

The trade off, as is always the case when having to crunch to meet a deadline, is that some quality or feature will likely have to be compromised or delayed. But unless the environment is already toxic, I think most employees understand the decision and are willing to put in the time for a little while to see their product released so the company can continue to thrive. It just doesn’t seem like this is the norm at CDPR, and they’re getting paid for the extra days (I never got that being salaried), so I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about.

I'm not sure why people seem to view this issue as a set of singular events at individual companies vs what it actually a set of interlocking systemic problems in the gaming industry and economic systems as a whole. CDPR's crunch being "not as bad" by virtue of it being paid ( note this is because of local government regulation demanding that even salaried employees be compensated for overtime et al. Whenever it happens in places where there aren't such protections, its almost always unpaid or with the barest compensation. Regardless, even if paid it may still put undue mental and physical stress on workers among many other issues), isn't really the crux of the issue. Some focus is currently on CDPR because of both their past history with crunch and their public promise not to engage with it again has been broken. However, the issue is more about repeating patterns of behavior creating systemic problems.

Jim Sterling talks about it again here in the wake of this latest CDPR news ( ) . I've skipped past some of the unrelated intro/comedy bit stuff.

If "crunch" meant a rare ,unavoidable, limited time and scope "all hands on deck" sort of event, sufficiently compensated in an otherwise pristine working (and overall living) environment, that would be one thing - but its not. Its an additional hardship - one that by nature worsens any existing hostility in the workplace or policies by adding pressure - levied upon workers already being stretched thin by an untenable, exploitative system.

If you watched the video you saw that another reporter talked to CDPR employees and they stated that a vote was taken to vote whether to delay the game again or to work overtime and work overtime won. If true the overtime was NOT mandatory and no promise of “non-obligatory crunch policy” was broken.

If you watched the video you saw that another reporter talked to CDPR employees and they stated that a vote was taken to vote whether to delay the game again or to work overtime and work overtime won. If true the overtime was NOT mandatory and no promise of “non-obligatory crunch policy” was broken.
Not impossible, but that story sounds implausible by itself, and I'll sooner trust Jason Schreier on topics like these since he is the industry leader with an unmatched record when it comes to inside scoops.

goes against what they want to believe.
the writer has put out a few good thing but hes been on a crusade against "the evil crunch" for years now.
To me the story seems very plausible. We should have a vote here :
1. Delay the game yet again
2. Work 6 extra days and get the game out for those juicy holiday sales (of which I get a percentage of)

I would vote for 2

Why does it sound implausible?
The idea of management asking developer grunts about a crucial and company wide influencing decision on their largest project to date? And that management being one of the better known ones as going hard on their developers. Really?!

goes against what they want to believe.
the writer has put out a few good thing but hes been on a crusade against "the evil crunch" for years now.
Do cite all the times he has been wrong reporting on his "crusade".

Reminds me of one of many golden rules in business:

"A failure to plan on your part (mgmt) does not constitute an emergency on my part (workers)

Although my company makes a buttload of money, is well managed and financially stable, they do everything they possibly can to avoid "crunches" and the requisite overtime pay, mainly because we are all very well paid at our regular rate, and paying a bunch of us even a few days of time & a half would very quickly make some serious dents in their bottom lines...

The idea of management asking developer grunts about a crucial and company wide influencing decision on their largest project to date?

For the good PR value, sure. CDPR knew that their reputation was on the line and a vote would give them cover. If they held a vote I believe voluntary overtime would be easy to sell.

The fate of a multi million dollar project was left up to a vote haha good one
Why not? That is what unions do before a strike on multi billion dollar projects. I know that the vote would have to be iniated by management and not workers, but the idea that huge projects are not voted on is not true.

Look, there are a lot of people around who if they get to work an extra six days over a six week period while making quite a bit more money due to overtime pay would jump on it in a heartbeat. I don't understand the hate and vitriol some are spewing about it. If they were forcing them to work seven days a week and twelve or more hours per day without additional compensation I could understand the outrage but six extra days is nothing.

Look, there are a lot of people around who if they get to work an extra six days over a six week period while making quite a bit more money due to overtime pay would jump on it in a heartbeat. I don't understand the hate and vitriol some are spewing about it. If they were forcing them to work seven days a week and twelve or more hours per day without additional compensation I could understand the outrage but six extra days is nothing.

Because it does not fit their narrative...simple as that.

I helped open up a restaurant last year and I was pulling 6+ day, 60+ hour weeks to do it for a full month. I was also living in a hotel room in a different state. I made enough extra money that I took a 3 week vacation as soon as my time was done and also made enough that we could afford a down payment on the house we now own.

This was voluntary and it was absolutely fucking exhausting, but sometimes deadlines are deadlines and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Not impossible, but that story sounds implausible by itself, and I'll sooner trust Jason Schreier on topics like these since he is the industry leader with an unmatched record when it comes to inside scoops.
That is exactly why he is not to be trusted. He was on a crusade against crunch for years if it turns out to be no big deal he looks like a fool, so of course he has a vested interest in proving crunch the evil of all evils now.

Do cite all the times he has been wrong reporting on his "crusade".
He has been misleading all along, presenting it as if "crunch" was exclusive to the gaming industry. When it is not. I'm working on a completely different field and when approaching deadlines crunch sometimes has to happen. We might not like it, but most of us pull together and just do it. It's voluntary and about 6 out of 10 people will be there even on Sundays. This whole crunch thing is blown out of proportion by Scrhier because he has a few snowflake contacts who don't want to look bad in front of colleagues when they don't work OT, so they'd rather prevent everyone from doing it.

He has been misleading all along, presenting it as if "crunch" was exclusive to the gaming industry. When it is not. I'm working on a completely different field and when approaching deadlines crunch sometimes has to happen. We might not like it, but most of us pull together and just do it. It's voluntary and about 6 out of 10 people will be there even on Sundays. This whole crunch thing is blown out of proportion by Scrhier because he has a few snowflake contacts who don't want to look bad in front of colleagues when they don't work OT, so they'd rather prevent everyone from doing it.

Hilarious that the concept of "crunch time" is now primarily associated with the gaming industry, like they're the first or even the most egregious to do so. I've been subject to crunch time (although not so much any more that I've moved up the ladder) since I left grad school and started working 19 years ago. In my first role, we had permanent cots set up with blankets hanging over the bullpens so you didn't have to leave the office. For an early project, there were quite literally weeks where I didn't move 2 blocks from our HQ (doing the math at the time vs. the 100 hours/week I was in the office, I was making close to a substitute teacher's salary). An ex-G/F did the same thing when releasing a new line in fashion... definitely not restricted to gaming, or even tech.

That said, having someone not see their own bed, and sleep in the office, for days on end is probably not the best thing on many levels.

I'm not judging them by his standards, I'm judging them by theirs. And it's funny.

I'm not judging them by his standards, I'm judging them by theirs. And it's funny.

No, you are not....if you were, you would have asked the employes...you know, those that took a vote on to crunch or not.
You are intellectually dishonest and thus a waste of time.

I bet this muppet (Jason) is mad that CDPR torpedoed some SJW's...ever since Mike and CDPR nuked Anita & Co, some members of the press have had sand in their vagina...

Ok seriously who the fuck cares? Why is this such a huge deal suddenly and is CDPR the one being attack over it? Companies like EA and Activision treat their employees a thousand times worse and barely hear a peep about it. GTFO you soap box and move the fuck on. Go enjoy the game next month. If you seriously have a issue with their labor practices then don't fucking buy it then.

Ok seriously who the fuck cares? Why is this such a huge deal suddenly and is CDPR the one being attack over it? Companies like EA and Activision treat their employees a thousand times worse and barely hear a peep about it. GTFO you soap box and move the fuck on. Go enjoy the game next month. If you seriously have a issue with their labor practices then don't fucking buy it then.

Like i said...some of the press is but-hurt that Mike & CDPR slammed SJW's when they targeted Cyberpunk 2077:

https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-creator-on-fan-criticism-cyberpunk-2077/

Yup, just did some digging....Jason Schreier and & Anita Sarkeesian definitely are on the "same side"...like i said...journalist with sand in their vaginas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back