CD Projekt Red Confirms a "The Witcher" Title Will Follow "Cyberpunk 2077"

erek

[H]F Junkie
You all ready for GOTY 2020 already?

"Polish gaming powerhouse CD Projekt confirmed that it has no plans of sitting idle after finishing work on its magnum opus and the year's most anticipated game, "Cyberpunk 2077." In an interview with journalists, CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński announced that the company will begin work on the next chapter in "The Witcher" franchise. Kiciński wouldn't take names or call the game "The Witcher 4," but simply that the game will be set in the fictional universe by Andrzej Sapkowski. Kiciński stated that a small team within CDPR will be tasked with preparatory work on this game, while larger teams will focus on DLCs and content additions for "Cyberpunk 2077" over an extended period of time."

https://www.techpowerup.com/264702/...-the-witcher-title-will-follow-cyberpunk-2077

It'll be interesting to see where they go for it since Geralt and Ciri's story is over. If I had to guess having read all the books myself that the new game will likely take place back in the glory days of the Witchers and maybe around the time of their downfall. Like a prequel hundreds of years before the events of Geralt. That'd be cool. I predict a new Witcher game will release around 2025 (boy it's weird writing that) and that's optimistic.

Not a fan, would rather see another scifi something. If Cyberpunk ends up being great, I'd rather see another Cyberpunk game than another Witcher. Don't mind them coming back to Witcher later, just more interested in RPGs or games that aren't fantasy.

Of course they will, I doubt even they thought that W3 would blow up like it did. Netflix has a show on it. It's almost a household name I'm sure, like GTA.
Would be interesting what direction they take it though. No more Geralt as a lead would be interesting.

Not a fan, would rather see another scifi something. If Cyberpunk ends up being great, I'd rather see another Cyberpunk game than another Witcher. Don't mind them coming back to Witcher later, just more interested in RPGs or games that aren't fantasy.
Yeah it's disappointing that most RPGs are fantasy games. There isn't even one contemporary RPG I can think of. There are some scifi or cyberpunk ones but that's it.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't unless they hate money but it's good to get confirmation.

I imagine that CDPR will eventually sell out like most of the developers I used to really like but hopefully we get a few more good games from them before they do.

Of course they will, I doubt even they thought that W3 would blow up like it did. Netflix has a show on it. It's almost a household name I'm sure, like GTA.
Would be interesting what direction they take it though. No more Geralt as a lead would be interesting.
I bet most normies have zero idea what it is.
No more geralt would be a godsent, if you could create a custom character with customizable backstory even I would try it.

Cautiously optimistic.

A prequel, or set years in the past when Witcher were more common could be cool. Pick your school etc.

Calling it now, Witch 4 will be a prequel maybe featuring a young Vessimer, after that they will do Cyberpunk 2078.

Yeah it's disappointing that most RPGs are fantasy games. There isn't even one contemporary RPG I can think of. There are some scifi or cyberpunk ones but that's it.

You can blame DnD for that. RPG's and fantasy have gone hand in hand ever since tabletop rpg's became a thing.

For those who want a non-fantasy RPG that is also excellent: Disco Elysium.

You can blame DnD for that. RPG's and fantasy have gone hand in hand ever since tabletop rpg's became a thing.

Totally. An RPG set in the real world would be great. "You roll d20: Critical Miss! You not only pee on the seat but lose control of the stream and saturate all nearby surfaces."

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Release date 2077 I can hardly contain myself. I hope the UI is better and cut scenes are down to a minimal and tighter combat.

Release date 2077 I can hardly contain myself. I hope the UI is better and cut scenes are down to a minimal and tighter combat.
I don't mind cutscenes, or even a lot of them if they're of the quality of the Witcher 3's. What I do have a problem is when there is a huge stretch where you have little control of your character and/or the chance to step away from the story. The Witcher 3 was mostly fine in that, except for the ridiculously long chain of events you were trapped in lasting from before the battle at Kaer Morhen until the confrontation at Bald Mountain. That was literally hours of set gameplay you were locked in to.

I really need to finally finish Witcher 1, and then play 2 and 3. Own them all, but got about halfway thru 1 and never finished it. And I had gotten the hang of that weird, difficult combat system too...

I really need to finally finish Witcher 1, and then play 2 and 3. Own them all, but got about halfway thru 1 and never finished it. And I had gotten the hang of that weird, difficult combat system too...
Let's face it, you're not going to do any of that. :D

Last edited:
/me Blasts the door open with an Aard sign.
GWENT?! WHO WANTS TO PLAY SOME GWENT!?!?

Mass Effect, The Outer Worlds and...?

Yeah. Cyberpunk is the only other upcoming one.

This is a move for investors, make no mistake.

Probably, which is why I would be cautiously optimistic. We don't want them to start pumping out games because of IP branding until they start being crap Assassin's Creed style.

Mass Effect, The Outer Worlds and...?

Yeah. Cyberpunk is the only other upcoming one.

Probably, which is why I would be cautiously optimistic. We don't want them to start pumping out games because of IP branding until they start being crap Assassin's Creed style.
The secret world was an excellent mmorpg set in the present... But it's redo as sw: legends I hear stunk :(.

Doesn't surprise me after the success of the Netflix series, they'd be silly not to get a new title out.

Back