CD players that can play FLAC/Apple Lossless/AIFF?

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
Are there any Cd players out there that will play lossless compressions? I mostly only see MP3 or WMA in the supported formats, and those are limited to 320kb/s.

Currently I burn discs to redbook CD-Audio, but it would be nice to be able to keep the tagging and stuff on each song.

I do have a Denon universal player that supports SACD and DVD-A, and I think those both support tags, but burning to those formats is not straight forward and CD's are cheaper anyways and usually more then enough in size.

I do have a network player, so I am already well aware of that, but I want to archive discs and be able to listen to them.

Apple Lossless is really a stretch due to it's proprietary nature. I doubt any standalone player supports it. FLAC cd/dvd's were supported on a couple of flagship models of Bluray players. One that comes to mind is the the Oppo line: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Features.aspx

Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-103. The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC audio formats.

You're fixing a problem that need not be fixed.

Archive to CD, buy a 64+ GB USB 3 drive and a player or a player with integrated / network storage.

Apple Lossless is really a stretch due to it's proprietary nature. I doubt any standalone player supports it. FLAC cd/dvd's were supported on a couple of flagship models of Bluray players. One that comes to mind is the the Oppo line: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Features.aspx

ALAC is open license since 2011. It was originally proprietary though.

I was looking at Raspberry PI stuff and could make a stand alone player, since I don't think what I want exists.

There are tons of high def stand alone players, both for racks and portable. Given flash storage is so cheap, why do you want to play off a CD at all? CD is still fine for an archive format, but for playback there's really no reason to use them anymore.

Back