CD/DVD Drive Stopped Reading Discs

Suds

Limp Gawd
I was in the middle of burning a CD when I got an unknown error say something happened. Now, my drive won't read or wright any discs, CDs or DVDs. Was working fine before that, and now it wont even read a CD. It still recognized by my computer and the tray opens and closes, just wont read shit. Any thoughts on WTF is wrong with it?

If it won't read or write anything, chances are it's dead. Most common cause is the lens has fallen out of alignment.

However, before you through it in the pile of "maybe" hardware you have stacked up in your closet, I'd check the manufacture's website for a firmware update which may correct the issue. If that doesn't work, hit up the egg and pick up a new one for a couple of bones.

It started working again today. Could it be it overheated or something from burning too many discs without much time in between?

I guess that's possible although I wouldn't think that is the most likely cause. It's more probable you have a loose or bad cable connecting the drive.

Or it could have been some random dust chunk that managed to get stuck on the lens while you were burning the disc. Get some canned air or a rocket blower and really dust out the inside of the drive, replug the power and data cable, hopefully it'll just be a one time thing. If it starts happening again on a regular basis though then time for another drive.

Back