CD drives are NOT plug 'n' play

MirrorIK

n00b
So don't try it unless you want an efficiently fried power supply. I didn't think that plugging in the molex while the system was on would hurt anything but a *ZAP* and a *whine* (not sure what that was) later proved me wrong.

I don't feel too bad, though. It's my first mistake, and it was a cheap Gateway psu anyway.

Lesson learned.

I must admit, I find your plight rather amusing.:p

Just make sure you didn't kill anything else and all your limbs are still intact. You live and learn.

Here, add it to the collection.

MirrorIK said:
So don't try it unless you want an efficiently fried power supply. I didn't think that plugging in the molex while the system was on would hurt anything but a *ZAP* and a *whine* (not sure what that was) later proved me wrong.

I don't feel too bad, though. It's my first mistake, and it was a cheap Gateway psu anyway.

Lesson learned.

I've done that before, with no bad effects. I try not to make a practice of it, but occasionally I am in a hurry.

MirrorIK said:

Lesson learned.

You, sir, should not be working on a computer. Ever. Not even opening the case. Pick up the phone book, find a tech, give him a call from now on.

might have been good to learn the difference between "plug and play" and "hot-pluggable"...

Wouldn't the term "hot swap" or "hot plug" be a better description than "plug and play"?

Play and Play is a capability that gives users the ability to plug a device into a computer and have the computer recognize that the device is there. The user doesn't have to tell the computer. The actual plugging part is accomplished while the system is powered off.

Hot swapping is the ability to remove and replace components of a computer, while it is operating. Once the appropriate software is installed on the computer, one can plug and unplug the device without rebooting.

Hot Plug is more commonly associated with an SATA hard disk drive. Hot Plug allows users to add on, remove, or swap an SATA HDD while the system power is on and under operation.

Just had to clear that up.

...my $0.02...

edit: I must type too slow or something. You beat me too it, fugu... heh

lol! thats almost better than my friend taking off the heatsink on his thunderbird to see if it was actually working!

fugu said:
might have been good to learn the difference between "plug and play" and "hot-pluggable"...

Right. I misstated.

So far, everything else is fine, including the CD drive. I still would like to know what that whine was (it came from the power supply). Sounded like a capacitor charging, but that doesn't seem to make sense. And it was louder.

MirrorIK said:

Lesson learned.

Sorry but thats the most stupid thing ive seen on here since the guy used an ice pack to try cool his CPU. Like the others have stated, what you mean is that cd-drives arent 'hot swapable'. Why the hell did you try and plug a cd-drive in while the puter was on anyway? takes 1 minute to turn it off and install one. Either way, i'd read up before doing anything else to prevent this idiotic kind of thing happening again.

FunkStar said:
Why the hell did you try and plug a cd-drive in while the puter was on anyway?

I wasn't trying to install it. IDE was already plugged in but I had forgotton that I took off the power until I looked into the case. I was surprised and, in a lapse, plugged it back in quickly.

i can honestly say, ive plug in an ide cable and the molex while my computer was on, and proceeded to use the drive, worked fine.

MirrorIK said:
Right. I misstated.

So far, everything else is fine, including the CD drive. I still would like to know what that whine was (it came from the power supply). Sounded like a capacitor charging, but that doesn't seem to make sense. And it was louder.

when you get your new PSU, try your plug 'n' play routine again and record the sound, we'd all like to hear it :rolleyes:

vanquished said:
lol! thats almost better than my friend taking off the heatsink on his thunderbird to see if it was actually working!

not even close. :p roflmao now THAT is freakin hysterical

hulksterjoe said:
when you get your new PSU, try your plug 'n' play routine again and record the sound, we'd all like to hear it :rolleyes:

I just tested it and the power supply still works, it was just knocked out for a bit. I got lucky.

Definitely will not be doing it again.

You want something not plug and play, try working with windows nt4.0 workstation. I thought that once you power up your system, most operating systems will see cd-rom drives.

Scorpionjwp said:
You want something not plug and play, try working with windows nt4.0 workstation. I thought that once you power up your system, most operating systems will see cd-rom drives.

I actually liked NT 4 Workstation. Sure, there were some problems with drivers and stuff but then again, it wasn't meant to be a gamers OS although I did use it that way for a short while. For me on my P100 with 40 meg of RAM it was a lot faster than Win95 and solid as a rock. The only way I could crash that thing was when the heatsink fell of the processor. And trust me, I tried a lot of stuff to crash it. It was also a lot better at resource management. I'd get skipping with mp3s every once in a while when opening programs and stuff with Win95 but could never get it to do it with NT.

I will say it was a pain when a service or something got screwed up though.

This is absolutely hilarious. Someone send this guy a typewriter ASAP.

Guys, guess what...I tried to change the oil in my car while it was running. I only lost three fingers!!!! *insert retarded laugh here*

MirrorIK said:
Non-electric, please.

You never know what could happen.

Very true....he could start to think those arms with the letter strikes on them (that contact the paper) and plug and play, and try to change them while typing.

Definitely not a smart move. I wouldnt try it again. Or you could so we can have another hilarious moment. I cant stop laughing at this Post.

meh, i've swapped out a pci video card while one system was on, and a harddrive in another. As long as you shut down the hardware in the OS's device manager before swapping and the mobo isn't a steaming pile of crap you should be alright.

and thats why 2k and XP are so solid.

SmokeRngs said:
I actually liked NT 4 Workstation. Sure, there were some problems with drivers and stuff but then again, it wasn't meant to be a gamers OS although I did use it that way for a short while. For me on my P100 with 40 meg of RAM it was a lot faster than Win95 and solid as a rock. The only way I could crash that thing was when the heatsink fell of the processor. And trust me, I tried a lot of stuff to crash it. It was also a lot better at resource management. I'd get skipping with mp3s every once in a while when opening programs and stuff with Win95 but could never get it to do it with NT.

I will say it was a pain when a service or something got screwed up though.

Anyways, not to jump on you like everyone else, but were you merely powering it on to eject a cd or something, then unplug it, or were you trying to 'install' it?

i'd believe it. That shit wouldnt fly in 9x, but it will, many times without issue, in NT/2K/XP

thebliX said:
i can honestly say, ive plug in an ide cable and the molex while my computer was on, and proceeded to use the drive, worked fine.

guys, i think this guy has had enough of us now and has proceeded to hang himself, albeit unsuccessfuly because of technical issues

vanquished said:
guys, i think this guy has had enough of us now and has proceeded to hang himself, albeit unsuccessfuly because of technical issues
Maybe he'd trip over the chair, pull on the noose and be crushed by the rafter.

It's situations like this that there were omnipresent video cameras. The look on his face when the PS popped would probably have made my day.

Ah, just imagine the look on his face if his PSU popped and it was also festering with cockroaches...what a kodak moment that would have been

I just tried this on a test bench here in the lab (I'm bored). Power supply, CDROM, and motherboard are all fine - no weird noises from the PSU (Sparkle 300W).

slowbiznatch said:
I just tried this on a test bench here in the lab (I'm bored). Power supply, CDROM, and motherboard are all fine - no weird noises from the PSU (Sparkle 300W).

This is why it surprised me a bit. I had been testing out some fans, plugging and unplugging them in with the power supply still on (no power to harddrives or CD drive) with no problems. Somehow you have to plug it in and get it to spark between the connectors (try slowly).

Back