CCTV DVR Build

cwolf78

Limp Gawd
I have recently purchased a DVR unit for the multiple security cameras at my work location... this was all installed by a local security outfit. They never could get all the cameras to work just right and it was this or that... they finally told me it was the DVR so they gave me a loaner while the sent the Speco DVR back for 'repairs' ... I started looking around at Fry's and other electronics dealers and realized that I should have done this myself to begin with. I build a HTPC that works just fine... this is BASICALLY the same thing.
Before I get underway... are there any suggestions ? Thanks !
:D

Well, I work for an oem manufacturer of pc based dvr systems. It is not really rocket science but there are some integration issues with certain chipsets. I would definitely stick with an Intel based chipset no matter what you buy. Also, depending on where you work, I could probably sell to you directly or have a dealer contact you.

I have had a grest experience with Geovision CCTV systems, theyre DVR software is GREAT, and they had excellent support for when my gv1480 card did not work. (it was only a software problem which was easily fixed )

I seriously recomend them for your cctv solution.

The computer i used for the main DVR was a custom built one with a Intel 945 CHipset, 1GB ram, nvdidia 7500Gt graphics card or something, a pentium D 3.4Ghz and 8 500GB hard drives configured to fit 30 Days of 16 cameras and 30 gig sata drive for the OS (WINDOWS 2003, but XP or 2000 will be fine i only put in 2003 because he wanted some extra features !!). This system handled the 16 cameras in my mates club easily, and the software was very user friendly, and is packed with useful features.

The Geovision cards are very fussy with graphics cards ( using the intel GMA it gave me some error sayin directdraw failed, and then geovision just told me that it was because of the intel GMA, so i just got this cheapo graphics card from ebay)

The recomended systems need to have a pentium 4 or equal cpu, at least 800Mhz FSB, 512Meg ram and a directx 9 capable card.

The geovision cards are quite expensive on the other hand though ( i bought mine for about 300 GBP (dont kno how many dollars tha is )).

PM me or email me if u want some extra help.. ill be willing to hellp

Geovision I would recommend also as we are an OEM for them. Great cards with excellent support. You can find pricing on the web, beware of fakes, or you could contact someone like my company that would be able to sell you the product directly.

So now you are gonna support your own security system? Building your own is great if you are selling them to other people and working as a professional in the security field, but I highly suggest you keep the embedded specko you have unless your work wants to pay you more to administer your security network

Considering my work is a small family owned business... I am the IT guy ... I am also interested in building this system.
On the Speco unit, the one that had to be sent to the factory for repairs... I may still use it ... when I get it back ! The security firm I hired to install the system determined it to be the problem and gave me some loaner BETA DVR system until they get the speco back. In my line of business, if I sell someone something and it breaks or needs repair - I give the customer a new unit and take up the problem with the manufacturer. Maybe Speco is different... I suspect not, but I don't feel like arguing with these guys.
Now, about the DVR I am going to build:
I am going to start with a Intel chipset ... I am more of an AMD guy... but if Intel has the mojo I need, then Intel wins the bid. I plan on building the DVR into a HTPC case (the ones they make to look like your regular A/V equipment) or a shuttle case... those are cool looking... but I think they are micro form factor... will that be a problem ?
Now then, I will need to get with someone here about the software and video capture cards to use for the DVR ... I plan on running XP Pro as the base OS for the DVR ... unless there is an added advantage to use Linux... ???
So Ingonuts13 ... can you hook me up ? It sounds like you are being careful not to 'plug' your company on the boards... I understand. I will PM you... :D

What Speco DVR was it? I used to configure DVR's and set them up for remote access as a side job, and I had nothing but good luck with Speco's.

Back