CCNA, then what?

Eulogy

2[H]4U
So, I'm going to be finishing up everything for my CCNA here rather soon. I'm looking at my options and don't know excatly which route to take.
Eventually I want my CCIEs in Routing & Switching as well as VoIP.
So, should I go CCNP => CCVP => CCIEs? Or should I focus on one at a time? CCNP => CCIE R&S => CCVP => CCIE V?

yeah they say sticking with the cisco route is good, i was planning on getting my ccna and studying for ccnp but also start getting into MCSE

i had to hold off on my ccna studies for sometime i was planning to take the test by now but i have been busy with other things :(

*ahem* third line in my sig? ;)

Edit: and yes, the CCNA got me my job here. Of course, I told them about my plans for the CCIE in voice, and they liked that, since we need someone very competent in VoIP. We currently spend ~100K a year on two guys that come in 2 times a week to work on ours. :eek:.

With everything eventually going into VOIP and also the amount of bandwidth needed for future services like youtube, streaming HD tv, etc, there is a lot of growth in networking... and the networking infastructure in the US is pretty old compared to the rest of the world. The CCNA route is not a bad idea and I have had my eyes on it.

The market is really hot for voice right now, and will be for a while to come. Security is a big player, and will be for quite a while as well. Storage, and application networking are two big upcoming trends.

I think you'd do good to go with voice. Getting CCNP first is a wise choice. It will give you a solid foundation. I'm currently halfway through my CCNP. Just have ONT and BSCI left. I've taken a look at the material for the CCVP...and it's not easy stuff.

If it were me, I'd do the CCNA and the CSDE (Cisco Storage Design Essentials) - I work in storage, so I'm sure it'd be easy for me.

Well here how i did my stuff.

First

A+ -> Network+ -> CCNA -> MCSE

with all that, i finished my Bachelors in Information Technology and planning to start my Masters next semester.

annaconda said:
with all that, i finished my Bachelors in Information Technology and planning to start my Masters next semester.

What is the Masters program you are starting (since I'm beginning a Network Security program this spring)?

Malk-a-mite said:
Well some of us have Networking jobs without a CCNA - as shocking as it is :)

*cough*

And I am still learning. Don't think you cannot do it with out certs. I would recomend landing some sort of job before the cert so you can tag team your resume with 2 things, experience and a cert. I am thinking of starting Net+ before I start my CCNA even though my CCNA lab is almost complete.

Back