CCNA Review Material

jadams

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
4,086
Hi guys. I'm looking for something thats "to the point" sort to speak. I graduated from college a few years ago and had I taken ccna right after I could have probably aced it. There were two courses directly related to (back then) CCENT 1 and 2. However its been a few years now and I sure I've lost some of that knowledge. I work in IT but not specifically networking though it is part of my job description.

I started reading Wendell Odom's book but its too tedious for me. 80% of what I'm reading I already know. I'm glossing over sections and there is a good chance I might be missing that other 20%.

It also reads as if you have very little knowledge going in. I made it to chapter 14 and finally decided to call it quits on this book when I read:

"The rest of this chapter focuses on how to take one IP address and mask and discover the details about that one subnet in which the address resides."

That's 20 pages to describe a 15 second process.

Anyway I think I'm starting to rant at this point. I just need something that's a little more to the point, more focused on review, and doesn't read as if you have no knowledge of networking going in.

Thanks in advance!
 

Raekwon

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
2,054
No one knows what you know but you. Skim what you know, drill in what you don't. I imagine videos would be more tedious. Also the CCNA changed a lot last year. I'm on chapter 12 of Lammle's book now and it is very good. I have Odom on the shelf for review, sounds like I am reading these in the wrong order.
 

jadams

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
4,086
I understand "nobody knows what I know". But Odom's book is extremely noobish (for a lack of a better word). I guess what I'm looking for is something that assumes you already understand some basic concepts. Videos actually is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Thats more my style. I guess I'm more visual than text base. Any suggestions?
 
S

shade91

Guest
Llamles book covers only 85% of the test material so be sure to study additional books.
 

Raekwon

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
2,054
Llamles book covers only 85% of the test material so be sure to study additional books.

That's the plan. I've found a few review questions that are completely foreign. Also quite a few errors. I am able to spot the errors, so I suppose I'm learning...
 

Raekwon

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
2,054
Also try /r/ccna/, /r/networking may be less helpful.

You could review the cisco exam objectives and find cbtnuggets for material that you are weak on.
 

jadams

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
4,086
I pasted the exact OP from my thread over in /r/networking. I didnt know /r/ccna existed. Though its never a surprise when an /r/<anything at all> exists.
 

Raekwon

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
2,054
I made that comment because I read it over there and was like wait a minute... :)

If you want to throw some questions by me go ahead, I'm just learning myself.
 
Top