CCNA Books

Doliviss

Weaksauce
I guess I'm not totally sure if this is where this should go, but I'll give it a shot.

Growing more and more tired of my crappy ISP help desk job explaining peering and internet functionality in the most basic sense to people that call themselves 'IT administrators' and listening to customers scream, I've decided to try to better myself & get a job that doesn't make me want to bang my head on the desk. CCNA coupled with a forthcomming degree can't hurt, right? ;)

I've attendended all four sections of the Cisco CCNA Academy courses several years ago while in high school, but never tested for the cert, so I figure I'd better study up before I drop $125 on a test.

For those of you who have experience with using self study books to prepare for the 640-801 CCNA test, which did you use? Did you have any complaints? How did it prepare you for the test?

Thanks in advance.

I used the Cisco Press books, INTRO and ICND. I also used TestKing and Testout! software to study for it. You are better off having multiple sources to test on, the books alone are nice, but to really prepare yourself I would get a test simulator. There are certain parts of the exam to study up on, mainly details of EIGRP, IP Subnetting, and be able to do troubleshooting!

When you take the exam for real, do not skip any simulation - it's almost an instant fail if you do it! Also, take your time on the real exam, I rushed my first time through, ended up with almost 45 minutes left! There is no going back, so just go over the available answers multiple times before you say "Ah! That one!" and hit next. The exam is really about getting used to their format and knowing the correct details.

I found this book pretty useful:

Sams teach yourself cisco routers in 21 days

The Author is: DIMARZIO Jerome F.

I recently passed my CCDA and I used the Cisco Press books along with Transcender and pass4sure.

Back