• wled is unaccaptable, but gb-r led is fine

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • wled/ccfl dosent matter

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

code)sorc

n00b
ccfl/wled/gb-r-led eye comfort for you
How your eyesight respond to different kind of monitor backlits?

I have troubles with new led backlits, basicaly i have used ccfl monitors before mostly without issues
However wled monitors are giving me troubles with eye strain, brightness/contrast dosent matter, mostly dimmed wled displays give me eye damage

WLED
Some wled tn notebook [unusable for long period of work]
1000HE netbook tn led backlit [used for ear, fine for eyes used on lower brightness than ccfl, but i noticed it gives burning feeling to retina]
Samsung S27C750P a-mva? [giving eye uncomfornt almost immedietly, severe eye damage after day of use]
Macbook Air 13 tn [eye damage, unusable]
Samsung S24D391HL s-pls much nicer, used for about 4 days, somewhat comfortable for 1 day use, but it burns my retina still, unusable
Dell u2415h ah-ips simmilar to Samsung S24D391HL, used for 2 days unaccaptable

CCFL
Samsung 171b va [used for about 8 years till it broke] was fine for my eyes
LG w2600hp h-ips fine for eyes
Nec191m va used for 1 years, fine

Used CCFL monitors for 24 hours a day sometimes without problems
Havent used GB-R led yet

What is your expirience?

Last edited:
huh, you must have a hard time finding a phone that works :)

I have had almost all kind of back-light display by now (CRT is too old/I was too young to remember..) none of them really give me much eye problem, instead I get stomach/heart-rate problem~~

ccfl
thinkpad t61 tn matte(pwm) for almost 10years, 0 issue
U2711(pwm), 3+ years initially used at 120cdm2 slight eye fatigue (tears), now 50cdm2, perfect

WLED
notebook tn glossy(pwm) 1-2year, no issue I can remember of
u2212hm(pwm) for 1-2 year , 0 issue
nexus 7 1gen, no issue
First venue 8 pro, AUO panel (no pwm), no issue
second venu 8 pro Chimei panel (no pwm), nausea+feel of vomit in matter of seconds
phone (no pwm), no issue

The weird ones
1080p 15" wide gamut bg-r led (glossy,pwm) nausea + some eye fatigues(too much reflation)
rgb led ips slight stomach problem till gamut is tune down a bit, perfect now

Tab s 8.4 amoled (PWM): This one is cute.. acceptable(but uncomfortable) nausea/highrate problem in first week, got better now with gamut tuned down...BUT, if I push the gamut back up, my stomach problem is back abit.

I conclude my stomach problem is probably neurological... cause by combination of glossy/reflection, ppi ,gamut and pwm... which can get neglected once my brain adapt (maybe)

tl:dr, as long as it is matte, my eyes are fine. glossy add little bit, but nothing major.

I've got a 15" acer wled tn laptop and it's the most comfortable display to use I have right now. There's no blue light coming from it at all. No matter how hard you try to calibrate it, it will probably always stay at 6300k. There's another tn laptop I have with smaller screen and it's unfixably bluish.

They just don't make them equal. Everything matters from led's color temperature to light filters and ag coating.

Last edited:
tl:dr, as long as it is matte, my eyes are fine. glossy add little bit, but nothing major.

I can't stand glossy displays. Even in a darker room, the whites are so muddy and fake and in a brighter lighting there's just too much contrast resulting in black crush and oversaturation.

I believe the ag coating helps to filter out some of the blue light as well.

I've got a 15" acer wled tn laptop and it's the most comfortable display to use I have right now. There's no blue light coming from it at all. No matter how hard you try to calibrate it, it will probably always stay at 6300k.

Hi,

What model is this Laptop?

Thanks, MTB.

Tried regular W-LED (NEC P242W), liked everything about it except that my eyes apparently are quite sensitive to the excess blue light, i.e., the result of trying to make white light by coloring blue pixels with yellow.

I am open to trying GB-R.

I have a Lenovo laptop with TN WLED at work, since I've started using it my eyesight degraded quite a bit. When I use it I feel like I'm watching a lightbulb. I've used an EIZO monitor with TN WLED, but I still had the burning eyes sensation.
I have an old Lenovo monitor with TN CCFL and I have no issue using it, but the colors are bad and can't see properly the monitor corners. I have to look perpendicular on it.
I can use a new iMac with IPS WLED only when the brightness is decreased to 20-30%, but the colors are washed out at this brightness.

For me the WLED is too bright. My suggestion is to find a CCFL monitor to protect your eyes.
In US Monoprice has a CCFL monitor, but in Europe you don't have many options.

I'm using CCFL but it's got PWM and I think this is what's causing some eye fatigue for me.

Hi,

What model is this Laptop?

Thanks, MTB.

Acer TravelMate P633-M. Actually, It's 13", not 15".

It's really pleasing to my eyes. While the viewing angles are really poor and there's slight red push in lighter gray shades, it's actually reasonably calibrated out of the box, you just need to rise black levels a notch and it's set. The gamut seems small but there's no artificial oversaturation either and to my critical eye it seems like the colors are fairly accurate. The ag coating is amazing, very subtle without any grain or sparkle effect and I believe it actually helps to filter out some of the blue spectrum. No pwm disaster. I can use it literally whole day long without getting sick and tired.
Under certain lighting conditions the whites on this display actually do look like a sheet of paper, although the contrast is low compared even to an old IPS display and the white crush is prominent.

Overall, if you really need a cheap laptop and the IPS ones are out of your reach, this is the only sensible choice. The 11" model of this laptop is a mess of a cold bluish display with an extremely sparkly matte coating. I've been to various pc stores lately and looked at the cheap laptops in the same category as this acer, all of them featured an obnoxious glossy coating, cold color temp and just looked like ass.

Also, I've had another laptop of the exact same model, which has been replaced, and I can testify to the consistency of the displays, both screens look virtually the same. I actually get them from work for free. :D

I do realize though that to 80% of people this kind of display would look terrible since today everyone prefers a color temperature of 8000K. Heh, just google "ipad blue tint" you won't find a single complaint, even though all ipads are set to around 7300k and those that I've seen looked disgustingly cold and bluish, it's the reverse actually, people complain that some ipads aren't blue enough for their liking and claim they have a "yellow tint".
It really is a personal preference, to be honest, but there's one thing that is above all personal preferences - it's called industry standards.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem as code)sorc. All LED backlit monitors I've tested so far, regardless of being glossy/matte, PWM-free or not, IPS/TN cause severe eye damage - after a few hours my eyes are red and they hurt. I bought a few CCFL backlit monitors and keep them as backup displays waiting for their turn. Once they are all gone, I won't have anything to work on.

Back