CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

Ok, here is the latest on the MI-6 Second Batch Production Status. I put it in today's CCD newsletter.

Ordering and payments are still available for the this batch until October 10th.

There have been some additional orders and a few cancellations since the last newsletter. We are at about 45 cases ordered now. Not yet at the 100 case target.

Since we are approaching the October 10th closing date for ordering, there are a couple of options I am analyzing:

1) Run a batch size smaller than 100 cases. I will be contacting my sheet metal shop this week to have him quote me the cost for a smaller case run. This might be a solution unless the cost rises significantly.

2) Extend the ordering window past October 10th. Currently if there are less than 100 case orders when 45 days have elapsed since the ordering kickoff, production will be cancelled and payments refunded (October 10). This could be changed so that the ordering window would be extended instead of closed. This would push out the delivery date to Christmas or after. With growing publicity about the case, this might also be a good solution.

I'll have more information in a week.

Couldn't include the cabling, but that's trivial, right? lol

You still have not given us a breakdown / images of your cable bundles from one of your first builds, where you used the stock Corsair SF-series flat cables (and bound up the 24-pin so nicely)...! ;^p

FYI,
Ordering for the next batch has been extended to Oct 31. I plan to work on making the lofts available for order after that.

sffislifeissff

You still have not given us a breakdown / images of your cable bundles from one of your first builds, where you used the stock Corsair SF-series flat cables (and bound up the 24-pin so nicely)...! ;^p
You are right my brother. I didn't really figure that just pics of the cables would be useful. But now that you reminded me, ill do a how-to, with a ruler and such showing where to do the bends and such. Ill do it when i get home tonight.

Reactions: Boil
like this
You are right my brother. I didn't really figure that just pics of the cables would be useful. But now that you reminded me, ill do a how-to, with a ruler and such showing where to do the bends and such. Ill do it when i get home tonight.

I have to agree it would be very helpful Fire, if I didn't have custom cables I would have tried to copy your cable management arrangement.

Hmm now I want to see your custom cabling.

9075d79756.jpg

5eeaa87024.jpg

Ah ok. I remember seeing it hehe.
The gpu cable looks like the perfect size. The others still wrap around some?
I think I’ll go as short as I can.

Ah ok. I remember seeing it hehe.
The gpu cable looks like the perfect size. The others still wrap around some?
I think I’ll go as short as I can.

Yeah the GPU is 30cm which is about perfect. The 24 and 8 pin are 20cm which was as short as I could get them.

Just got a new quote from the fabrication shop. Looks like there should be a way to kick off a production batch with the orders we have now, and don't have to get to 75.
Gotta run the numbers, but should be able to finalize and figure out any tradeoffs this evening. Woo hoo!

I recently moved this system back into the MI-6 after testing it in another case. I really missed the MI-6... it's so portable. I could really use some custom cables like rfarmer.

System specs:

Case: CCD MI-6 (first generation, no front I/O)
CPU: i7-4790K (turbo disabled, -0.040V offset)
CPU Cooler: Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6Gb
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 Gb (OS, Office), Hitachi 1 Tb HDD 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair SF450

Temperatures:
CPU: 68C (Prime95 small FFT)
GPU: 67C (Heaven benchmark w/ default fan curve)

If I enable the turbo boost on the CPU, the temps go up drastically for the all-core 200 MHz boost--climbing to 83C. I'm much more comfortable disabling turbo and running at 4.0 GHz and keeping the temps below 70C.

MI-6 CPU side.jpg
MI-6 GPU side.jpg

Does anyone know if the SF600 and SF450 cables are interchangeable? rfarmer, did you just get the 24-pin ATX PSU, 8 (4+4) EPS, and PCIe cables?

Yes the cables are interchangeable. I got 24 pin, 8 pin EPS, 8 pin PCI and SATA power.

I recently moved this system back into the MI-6 after testing it in another case. I really missed the MI-6... it's so portable. I could really use some custom cables like rfarmer.

System specs:

Case: CCD MI-6 (first generation, no front I/O)
CPU: i7-4790K (turbo disabled, -0.040V offset)
CPU Cooler: Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6Gb
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 Gb (OS, Office), Hitachi 1 Tb HDD 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair SF450

Temperatures:
CPU: 68C (Prime95 small FFT)
GPU: 67C (Heaven benchmark w/ default fan curve)

If I enable the turbo boost on the CPU, the temps go up drastically for the all-core 200 MHz boost--climbing to 83C. I'm much more comfortable disabling turbo and running at 4.0 GHz and keeping the temps below 70C.

View attachment 119498 View attachment 119499
Just curious what motherboard you are using in your build. I haven’t seen too many with yellow heatsinks and SATA ports besides my motherboard. (Asus z87i Deluxe)

Just curious what motherboard you are using in your build. I haven’t seen too many with yellow heatsinks and SATA ports besides my motherboard. (Asus z87i Deluxe)

Close... it's an ASUS H81I-Plus. I'm definitely not overclocking with this hot CPU (in fact, I've disabled turbo boost), so the H81 plenty for me.

Wonder if there’s anything on the level of my strix cards of quiet. I was eyeing those gigabyte Aorus cards pulled from those boxes. My current target is a 1070ti ish level of performance. That may change between now and when I get the case.

Wonder if there’s anything on the level of my strix cards of quiet. I was eyeing those gigabyte Aorus cards pulled from those boxes. My current target is a 1070ti ish level of performance. That may change between now and when I get the case.

Other than the GTX1080 version, the gigabyte cards that are pulled from the Aorus gaming boxes are exactly like the regular stand alone cards that gigabyte sells.

I have never heard a Strix card in person, so I can’t compare noise levels, but I posted some results of my testing with the Aorus gaming box version of the GTX1080 earlier in this thread. Basically, I feel like it is a really quiet card as long as you don’t put the fan right up next to a case panel that doesn’t have a good ventilation pattern. In the open air scenario it kept itself about 10 degrees below throttling temps at full boost clocks and it wasn’t very loud.

It does not appear to have a zero RPM mode, but I can’t hear it at all when it is at its lowest speed.

Performance wise, it is aparently very close to the 1070ti. AFAIK, this card or the regular gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini ITX are the only 2 cards that will fit in the MI-6 that are close to the performance of a 1070ti, unless you are willing to go down to a 1070.

Last edited:
Didn't know the fan didn't turn off. Oh well. The MSI aero ITX series sounds like a more likely candidate. Cheers!

200mm on 24 pin and 8 pin EPS and 300mm on the PCI. The 200mm was the shortest I could get and I thought with the placement of the 8 pin and 24 pin you could go shorter but I am glad they are 200mm, needed a bit extra for routing around things. The PCI needs to be at least 300mm. The SATA power is 300mm which was the shortest I could get and that one I would have gone with 200mm. I got the cables from AliExpress because I got all of those for $25 shipped, I checked prices on CableMod and it was over $100 before shipping.

Thank you for posting this. It took me forever to find it again just now, it gives me a good reference to know what lengths to order. I just need to compare your motherboard power socket placements vs. mine. Also, for the SATA power cables, are you able to specify the length of cable between the plugs? If so, what lengths did you use?

Thank you for posting this. It took me forever to find it again just now, it gives me a good reference to know what lengths to order. I just need to compare your motherboard power socket placements vs. mine. Also, for the SATA power cables, are you able to specify the length of cable between the plugs? If so, what lengths did you use?

I ordered this one from Aliexpress, I think the distance between connectors is 10cm. It was longer than I needed but easier to work with than the Corsair cables.

I ordered some of those cables from Aliexpress a little over a month ago and so I decided to track the order to see how much longer until they are delivered. The original order says that if it doesn’t arrive by Jan 15, I can request a refund. When I followed the link to the tracking information, it told me the shipment was cancelled. Does anyone have any experience with this? This is my first time ordering anything from Aliexpress.

I ordered some of those cables from Aliexpress a little over a month ago and so I decided to track the order to see how much longer until they are delivered. The original order says that if it doesn’t arrive by Jan 15, I can request a refund. When I followed the link to the tracking information, it told me the shipment was cancelled. Does anyone have any experience with this? This is my first time ordering anything from Aliexpress.

I ordered two separate sets of cables from AliExpress, while shipping did take quite a while I received both sets.

I would try and contact customer support and see if you can get an answer.

Last edited:
Went to the sheet metal shop today to check status.
Reviewed some finished part samples. They looked great!
They are still working on the main chassis, so I didn't review that yet, but here are some other parts.

Review 12-18-18 20181218_122640.jpg
Clockwise from top: Cover, top plate, cover support, 3.5"mount.

--Fire

I ordered two separate sets of cables from AliExpress, while shipping did take quite a while I received both sets.

I would try and contact customer support and see if you can get an answer.

Looks like you were lucky. I ordered a set of custom cables from AliExpress on November 14th. A month and a half later, still no cables. :(

Back