CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

Ok, so rma isn't really an option.. But don't throw it out, it could be lapped and come out fine.

Yeah, I'll hang on to it. There is so much material that has to be removed to get to a smooth surface that I can't do it by hand and keep the flatness. My son has a 4790k that he doesn't overclock and has wee little cooler on it. It should be a step up for this computer. He plays Fallout4 and some other graphically complex games, so if we put it in there I'll do a quick comparison and let the horde know.

Here are a couple pics of the IS-60 after I pulled it back off:
is-60.jpg
is-60%20closeup.jpg

Oh and I retested after I put the Big S2 back and temps went back to normal as shown in test G6 below (ambient temp dropped 2C since test G4 so that affected the temps):

G1-G6%20results.jpg

I changed the thermal paste for kicks on G6, but no difference seen.

There is one thing you might have not considered: many mounting systems that attach the cooling device to the motherboard have a fixed pressure to the cpu. This is normally a good thing because you can't ever overtighten anything but, at the same time, should you lap your cpu, or the heatsink base, in this case, you are effectively reducing the pressure applied on the cpu and, thus, are reducing its performance.

hi guys...finally by chanche i found my personal case...until few days ago i looked at sentry or dan a4 but after ncase n1 this july i want to build something smaller and solid....and i hope to have it soon in the future...i'm planning to build a pc with
i5 6600
sf450
msi h170i
gigabyte 1070 itx
this components for this case are perfect.
AVAIABILTY and PRICE????? i want it now ahahha:):)

hi guys...finally by chanche i found my personal case...until few days ago i looked at sentry or dan a4 but after ncase n1 this july i want to build something smaller and solid....and i hope to have it soon in the future...i'm planning to build a pc with
i5 6600
sf450
msi h170i
gigabyte 1070 itx
this components for this case are perfect.
AVAIABILTY and PRICE????? i want it now ahahha:):)
Hey bro, thx for the post and the interest!

Well I did that prelim thermal testing, so now with some confidence that this is a feasible layout, I'm working on the design appearance as well as case dimension tolerances.

Speaking of design, in the next few days I will post have some refined designs for thought. So keep an eye out, as I appreciate feedback.

I dont have availability info, but hoping for a small run this year yet.

Costing, well it is tough, as no one can fabricate 30 or 100 cases for low cost. Trying to get price to between $150-200 for early adopters. All preliminary tho.

thanks for reply...i appreciated design for thickness panels and components layout.
Great news my friend. for sure i will buy it when it is avaiable for this first run....i saved my money:) Price is no problem for 150-200 dollars is excellent:):)

…in the next few days I will post have some refined designs…

…hoping for a small run this year…

…price to between $150-200 for early adopters….

Damnit, man…!

You gonna be a tease like Hahutzy now…?!?

Maybe in the interim you can show us your PSU cable origami collection…?

Wondering if sending a non K-series Skylake i5 to Silicon Lottery for delidding is worthwhile; I know it would bring overall temps down, but is it worth the 50 bucks (plus shipping)…?

They claim a 10 degrees Celsius drop for the CPU with their delid…

That, and an EVGA Gaming SC GTX 1060 might make for a cool & quiet MI-6 gaming rig…

Dang…! This nag just showed up, looking for a beating… His name is M.2 temps…

Gleep Glorp…! ;^p

Last edited:
When you DO get some of the "refined designs" up, please post some hi-resolution shots, I can always use new desktop wallpaper…!

I really hope this case will be reality soon...this is my:) what do you think to create a poll to value all togheter this refined designs? ;) you will have a product site when we can buy mi6 :)??

Damnit, man…!

You gonna be a tease like Hahutzy now…?!?

Maybe in the interim you can show us your PSU cable origami collection…?

Wondering if sending a non K-series Skylake i5 to Silicon Lottery for delidding is worthwhile; I know it would bring overall temps down, but is it worth the 50 bucks (plus shipping)…?

They claim a 10 degrees Celsius drop for the CPU with their delid…

That, and an EVGA Gaming SC GTX 1060 might make for a cool & quiet MI-6 gaming rig…

Dang…! This nag just showed up, looking for a beating… His name is M.2 temps…

Gleep Glorp…! ;^p

Welp,
Sorry bout the drama.

Been seeing a lot of food for thought lately. Hutsy's latest work is impressive, and a good look for the psu / form factor he is going for. Between his work, some of the new stx cases, and streamlining ideas i have, i thought i could improve the Mi-6 a bit more. I have ideas that i am taking time to model.

Then we'll do a perp line up on the thread and pick out the good, the bad and the ugly.

Yes, I will rip the guts back out sometime here and take pics of the cables. The only non-reversible surgery I did was cut down the sata cable so it won't wrap around the case 3 times! Maybe a bit of hyperbole there, just a bit.

Delidding.... man i dont see how you will need that with an i5, unless you overclock.

A while back i bought a i5-4690 and a h80 cooler as an upgrade for my son's rig from i3-4170. Then i checked performance charts and my overclocking would just get it close to i7-4790 performance. The cost was about $300. The cost was too close to the price for a i7, and with no water hassle. So we took it back and got the 4790.

Maybe delid an i7?? Improve overclocking capability on air in Mi-6?????

Regarding sales, my first thought is to keep it simple like ordering thru a forum. One other case does this on OC I saw. Forgot which case tho. Maybe that Compact Splash follow on variant?

Nice..i hope to be ready for first ran at the end of the year(nice) or when you can:) sell trought forum will be a good idea. we need to purchase mi6 in 2016 doubtless? if yes and agree with me check like on this post!

Last edited:
LATEST DESIGN OPTIONS AND A POLL!! WOO HOO!

I have come up with some design revisions, improvements and options to consider. Most work I'm doing is to simplify fab, improve ventilation, and inject a bit more style.

Some designs are orthodox, some are ...er.. well you'll see. And there is a poll at the end to vote your favs

Here is the baseline. Let's call it Design A. It has the USB/audio on top, square and rectangular vent patterns, minor rounding at the top corner of the case cover, flanges on the back of the cover.
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2016.27.30.png
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2016.18.29.png
untitled.16c.jpg

Here is Design B:
A minor revision: Increased top venting. Thermal tests showed more more exhaust venting has benefit). Rounded off the corners of the patterns too.
Mi-6%20Assy%20try%2016%20simplified%20div%20grey%20SMALL.jpg

Design C:
A significant revision. Venting is like Design B, but rounded the top edges of the cover more. Completely got rid of the flanges on the back of the cover, so the 2 attachment screws moved to the sides. Makes the case better looking and easier to fabricate the cover, so a win-win (partial credit has to go to Hahutsy and his great Hutsy XS sheet metal designs!)

Oh and I moved the front screws inward.
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2016.57.05%20small.png

(EDIT -- I just noticed that the pic below has the wrong (original) front plate with it's smaller corner radius, which doesn't match the larger radius of the new cover. I guess a good comparison of the baseline bend to the bend of designs B-E)
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2016.08.32%20small.png

Note -- The rest of the designs below use the no-flanged-cover of Design C.

Design D:
Larger diameter vent holes, and a less-symmetric pattern. I colored it red for fun.
red%20black%20big%20holes%20cpu%20side.jpg

Design E:
Continuous vent pattern on top. "Chaos" pattern on sides for something completely different!
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2000.15.36%20small.png
Screenshot%202016-09-02%2000.14.57%20small.png
Screenshot%202016-08-31%2000.23.46.png

Design F:
Complete chaos.
Screenshot%202016-08-31%2022.06.13.png
Screenshot%202016-08-31%2021.57.29.png

Screenshot%202016-08-31%2021.59.54small.png
chaos%20black%20small.jpg

You can Vote here: (!)

http://www.strawpoll.me/11142685

---Revised to include option F---

Last edited:
You show A thru F options here, but your poll only has A thru E…

Keep the front panel securing hardware spaced as on A & B, the spacing on C thru F is awkward…

I would prefer the top venting of E, the more room for heat to escape the better (especially when thinking of the M.2 behind the MB)…

While the Chaos is neat, I would think it less efficient than the 'standard' vent patterns…

Not feeling the D at all…

The side screws are also rather awkward…

The rear thumb screws, due to the scale of the chassis, seem overly large (including the PCI hold down one)…

Consider extending your outer shell to under the chassis (allowing a bit of flex to get it on/around/under) and using the feet as screw on 'thumb screws' to secure the outer shell…

You show A thru F options here, but your poll only has A thru E…

Keep the front panel securing hardware spaced as on A & B, the spacing on C thru F is awkward…

I would prefer the top venting of E, the more room for heat to escape the better (especially when thinking of the M.2 behind the MB)…

While the Chaos is neat, I would think it less efficient than the 'standard' vent patterns…

Not feeling the D at all…

The side screws are also rather awkward…

The rear thumb screws, due to the scale of the chassis, seem overly large (including the PCI hold down one)…

Consider extending your outer shell to under the chassis (allowing a bit of flex to get it on/around/under) and using the feet as screw on 'thumb screws' to secure the outer shell…

LOL, Oh man! I forgot "F". But who would vote for complete chaos?!! Sorry bro! I'll revise it...

Consider this…

Increase size somewhat; for two or three additions…

To allow the Ametek 545LC 92mm AIO water cooler to be mounted where the current 92mm chassis fan is (allowing proper clearance for the PSU cabling)…

Now, with a 92mm AIO mounted in this area, it would result in a single location for drives…

To allow for a single 120mm fan (or dual 92mm fans) at the top of the chassis to exhaust all air out of the chassis…

Decrease the depth of the CPU chamber , to allow a (somewhat) central chamber between the CPU & GPU chambers which is used as a cable routing/management area…

If the end user decided against water cooling, the Cryorig C7 would still be a viable alternative for the reduced overall HSF height limitation…?

This all would result in a chassis about the same volume as the A4-SFX, but with water cooling on the CPU and better overall chassis cooling with the top mounted exhaust fan(s)…

Note, I mean better chassis cooling for THIS chassis, not saying that it would result in better chassis cooling than the A4-SFX is capable of (not trying to start any cross-chassis rivalry here)…

Food for thought…?!?

Okay, back to reality…

I vote for the original spacing on the front panel hardware…

The full coverage top venting…

The no-flange cover; but I still say make the shell wrap under the chassis enough to use the feet as thumb screws to fasten said shell to said chassis…

The standard venting on the sides, but no rounding off of the pattern, nor of the top pattern…

I like that you opened up the GPU / PCI bracket area (one large opening)…

With just the single thumb screw on the back, the scale of the single piece is acceptable…

I am awaiting some high resolution desktop suitable renders of the above conglomeration…!

If i buy this case i don't want to do watercooling. Small and compact is the goal. The poll says design A so you must only start with orders! :):)

Last edited:
I do not really expect Firewolfy to redesign for water cooling, I just tend to ramble on about "What ifs…?" at times…!

A consideration would be having a CPU delid done by Silicon Lottery…

They pull the IHS, replace the internal TIM with CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra & seal the IHS back on to the CPU package…

They claim up to a 10+ degrees Celsius temp drop with their delid / internal TIM replacement, and have done a number of T-series CPUs specifically for SFF builds…

I would then use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM on both the CPU & the GPU…

That should help keep temps down a bit more…

Last edited:
Original spacing on the front panel hardware. Instead of just machine screws, I would suggest screws and finishing washers. Abee does this and I think it looks great - it turns eye sores into decorative elements.

Continuous top venting pattern, so that it does not remind me of a toaster every time I look at it. (...) But... no vent holes to the left and right of the ports. Top and side vents should match and be aligned. If we could have any pattern, then I would like the "Death Star wall" pattern that Case Labs and Thermaltake are using - I think it is a good compromise of performance and looks -- and it is already used with large holes on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the design of B and E, I find the increased top venting a good idea,

also I kind of like the Chaos pattern on the sides.

Wow, thanks for the voting and the feedback so far everyone. This is exactly what I need to be able to finalize this case.

I'll wait to reply to the comments, so as to not dilute the poll as the focus for a couple more days. I'm not ignoring the comments, but compiling them to discuss after a good number of folks have had a chance to vote.

Please feel free to comment and enlighten me a bit if you have some thoughts for me.

Thanks!

Remember that you can't do perfectly sharp corners in the case of the chaos vents. Each corner will have a small radius to it, which could drastically change how well the pattern actually looks.

Does the larger hole diameter in design D infer an asymmetric pattern? If only the pattern was a little nicer, it would be great with larger holes..

A couple clarifications:
iFreilicht -- Yes, there will have to be a radius in all of the corners. This would be laser cut so the radius can be small, <1mm, and won't be particularly noticeable.

eggDK -- The asymmetry is not required, just another idea to add some interest. The pattern could adjusted slightly to get symmetry at the corners.

Ever thought about doing vents like the caselabs case? Doesn't look bad and seem to provide alot of airflows.

Original spacing on the front panel hardware. Instead of just machine screws, I would suggest screws and finishing washers. Abee does this and I think it looks great - it turns eye sores into decorative elements.

Continuous top venting pattern, so that it does not remind me of a toaster every time I look at it. (...) But... no vent holes to the left and right of the ports. Top and side vents should match and be aligned. If we could have any pattern, then I would like the "Death Star wall" pattern that Case Labs and Thermaltake are using - I think it is a good compromise of performance and looks -- and it is already used with large holes on the back.

Ever thought about doing vents like the caselabs case? Doesn't look bad and seem to provide alot of airflows.

As above, already ready mentioned by Findecanor

But I would have to agree, the "Death Star wall" pattern might be a good idea, possibility that we could see some renderings with the same…?

Just remember, the Case Labs version is horizontal, the Death Star version is vertical…!

Reactions: eggDK
like this
I like how the pattern of holes are lined up in design D. each hole is at an intersection of 3 different rows of holes, not just 2. That is how the vent hole pattern is on the corsair PSU used in the prototype build. I wonder if there will be production issues with the holes that way though. I have heard that some manufacturers have a hard time cutting the holes without warping the panel that way. (see Hutzy xs thread) Although, the vent holes in the Ncase M1 are arranged in that pattern, so some manufacturers can do it.

I also agree that the top vent looks better with more holes (the 2 separate vents looked like toaster slots to me). Ditto on the "no holes beside the top ports" sentiment.
I like the curved top edges, but I don't like the screws on the side. I think it would look great if the screws on the front could somehow be eliminated as well.

Now that I really look at it, I actually loved the chaos design lol. Voted for it

Thanks so much to everyone who voted and commented. I appreciate your feedback.

The poll result after 5 days of polling and 51 votes is as follows:
A & C -- tied for first at 24% each.
B & F -- tied for third at 20% each.
D & E -- not significant vote getters.

My quick read is that something generally close to the original appearance is the most attractive.

I'm at work now, but will write a more complete conclusion to the poll and comments this evening. And define the path forward as I see it.

Thanks all!

Reactions: Boil
like this
I see only one 2.5" HDD while the info on the first page seemed to indicate it supports six? drives. Is that six 2.5" drives?

I see only one 2.5" HDD while the info on the first page seemed to indicate it supports six? drives. Is that six 2.5" drives?

Yes, you are right, I have not installed more than 1 HDD in my build and testing. There is room for up to 6 drives, however. Here is a post from back on page 9 I think where I did a model of how to mount up to 6 drives. Is this what you were looking for?

Ok here is a quick model of a 92mm fan envelope in place, a 15mm HDD/SSD in the duplex bracket, and a 7mm in the upper single bracket. There is about 2mm of gap on each end of the fan, which is about the lowest I'd want to go with tolerance stackups and all.

Screenshot%202016-07-03%2023.04.37.png

I lowered the GPU features 0.2" like I said. The PCIE riser cable bend is a bit closer to the PSU but I didn't have to change the bend radius at all, so that is good.

One new item, the PCI flange cover, or whatever one might want to call it. It is ventilated and held by the 1 screw, and holds the card down and in place. The idea is to just loosen the screw and slide up the cover release the card.

Screenshot%202016-07-03%2023.07.06.png
Screenshot%202016-07-03%2023.08.34.png

EDIT -- I forgot to show the max HDD condition. Here it is. Looks crazy to me.

Screenshot%202016-07-03%2023.49.11.png

Have you considered doing a vote between who has preference for the regular vent pattern and who likes the Chaos pattern?

I wonder what the results would be, I think it would be a good idea because it would show how many people like which pattern.

Back