CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by Firewolfy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

The 4 cases sold out and I'll be shipping them tomorrow morning.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  2. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

Some sweet news to share.

Rfarmer over on sff has the #1 ranking with his MI-6 in the PPL - performance per liter thread with a score of over 2M!

Here is a link

3. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Hell yeah I did, thanks Fire. :D

GermanDrifter97 likes this.
  4. Frazhna

Frazhna Limp Gawd

I’m looking forward to batch 2 and was reading about it on the case by case design website.
    “For the second production run the exterior colors will likely be Black Powder Coat for the cover, and Brushed Natural Anodized Aluminum for the top plate.”

Does this mean that all the cases for the second production run will have top plates that don’t match the color of the cover?

I hope there is an option to match the color of the top plate and the cover.

5. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I have to agree with that. I got one from the first batch that is powder coated for both the cover and top, not sure I would like the natural top.

6. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

I hadn't thought about that as an option, but it is easy. Good idea.

7. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

How about temp testing with dual 92x25mm A9s...?

More square inches of coverage & more airflow..?!?

8. jamesman32

jamesman32 Limp Gawd

Slight thread crap (sorry Fire!) but I figured I'd let those following along in here know: I'll be putting my CCD MI-6 (SN #14) up for sale on the forum by the end of this week as I need to start consolidating equipment. I've got one of the later-shipped cases with "minimalist" front and black powder coated exterior panels. PM me if you missed out on the first order and might be interested!

Pics in my last post here: CCD MI-6: Performance in less than 7L

9. EnzoFX

EnzoFX [H]ard|Gawd

Well rounded build. Curious if it's all going for sale.

10. jamesman32

jamesman32 Limp Gawd

Thank you! Most of the guts will be staying with me, save for the Noctua HSF, Noctua 90mm case fan at the botton, and the Ryzen 1600.

11. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Firewolfy

Any new updates on the MI-6...?

Very curious on any more reports of those using the Noctua NH-L12S; I know TekEverything got it working (but he also said it was slightly bent at the heat pipes), just curious for other feedback on this heat sink in the MI-6 chassis...

Also wanting more info on the 'Loft'...!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  12. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

Hey Boil,

Here is the latest on the MI-6 Second Edition: changes, improvements and accessories, and some costing I got finalized: (I put some updates on the webpage and SFF too).

dK34cJI.png

kwNCTZd.png

1KpThNK.png
    The 3.5" HDD mount probably won't get a lot of interest, but it was easy and should be cheap, -should be less than $10.

6A8yHQt.png
    There are 2 loft heights you see there. The lofts have a few mm extra distance between the fan blades and the slots to reduce noise. The top plate used is the original one supplied with the case. Right now, the loft has some long screws to attach it to the case, but I have an idea to have a friction fit top plate to simplify and shorten the screws. The twin 92mm fans are a bit big for the vent size but still should move a lot of air.

Oh, and I finalized the costing for the next batch:
    SE Minimalist Case $185 (was $210 in batch 1).
    SE Case with Front I/O $199 (was $235 in batch 1).
    I got the price down some, woo hoo! I guess the price of alum is going up, so the price drop isn't as good as I had hoped.

Sebbie, Frazhna, Boil and 1 other person like this.
  13. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th [H]ard|Gawd

Really exciting stuff and great work. I really enjoy the options made available for the user! Even the option to throw in a 12TB HDD :LOL:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  14. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Looks great Firewolfy, have you decided on pricing for the lofts?

15. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

Was supposed to hear back today but it got pushed back a day or two.

16. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

I got a quote back that was pretty high. I'll be spending some time on the design and working with shops before I'll be able to offer the loft.

17. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, thanks for the update Fire.

18. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

I put a build video on the webpage. Here's a link.
    The cables are the worst part of course. I'll need to get custom cables and do another video someday.

Neapolitan6th and Frazhna like this.
  19. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

??? ;^p

rfarmer likes this.
  20. Frazhna

Frazhna Limp Gawd

I’m curious if anybody has tried the gigabyte GTX 1080 mini ITX in this case. If anybody has, how are the temps?

21. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Check out this video from TekEverything, he used a 1080 in the build.

22. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

MI-6 user with the GTX 1080 out of the Aorus eGPU kit...

eOIAcYl.jpg

I have speculated that particular GPU might be the current 'Top Dog' for GPUs in the MI-6 chassis...

It is a bare heat sink (the eGPU enclosure is the shroud) with a whopping 130mm fan...

Would be interesting to see a shoot-out between the above 1080 & the PowerColor Vega Nano (RX Vega 56), as those are the two top-end GPUs that will fit in the MI-6...

I would remove the shroud from the Vega Nano, trim the heat sink fins to fit a NF-A12x15 PWM fan, which would be hooked in to the GPU fan header with the proper adapter cable; I would also remount the heat sink with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut & replace the stock thermal pads with Thermal Grizzly minus8 pads...

I would definitely get a Loft & have a NF-A12x25 'Sterrox' PWM fan on exhaust duties...

I know Gigabyte also makes the 'regular' GTX 1080 Mini ITX, but this is the 'better' version of that, from a usage case with the MI-6 chassis...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  23. EnzoFX

EnzoFX [H]ard|Gawd

Wow that is some crazy efficiency. Do want. Heck I don't even need it to be a 1080 haha.

24. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  25. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Firewolfy

Possibility of silver exterior shell & loft, with black divider / exhaust fan mount plate & black top plate...?

And black feet...?

If 120x25mm exhaust fan is pushed as far to the back as it will go in the Loft, might the front I/O & power button fit in the front of the Loft...?!?

(.. gotta leave the front of the exterior shell clean so it is a suitable canvas for a custom laser etched graphic...)

You are going to a circular vent pattern for the bottom intake fan, how about the same for the PSU intake venting (properly centered for the 92mm Corsair SF-series PSUs)...?

Any further testing to verify if the Noctua NH-L12S (with AM4 mount) is a viable solution for the MI-6..?

It really seems the best solution for cooling, and the bottom mount fan should eliminate any fan turbulence noise...?

Might a steel construction reduce cost (at the expense of adding weight)...?

I definitely want to get in on the Second Edition, with a Short Loft...!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  26. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

27. Engr62

Engr62 Gawd

Firewolfy, I'm sure you've mentioned this, but will the new lofts and 3.5" bracket be compatible with the first generation cases?

P.S. Thanks for shipping the 2.5" HDD bracket out to me so quickly.

28. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

I put my comments inline in your post below--

Boil likes this.
  29. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

Yes, the lofts and 3.5 bracket will fit the first and second editions. Glad to hear you got the shipment.

Engr62 likes this.
  30. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Firewolfy
    What, no Apple-esque sandblasted finish...!?! ;^p

(...the graphic I would want to laser etch onto the front panel...)

xy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.todayifoundout.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F05%2Fapple-logo.jpg

31. GermanDrifter97

GermanDrifter97 n00b

Sorry for the late answer.

The GTX 1080 stays under ~75/80°C with the stock cooler shroud, but is very loud.
    I changed the stock fan for a Noctua NF-A9x14, which is held on by 4 bended paper clips.
    It's much quieter now, temps don't go over 84°C, but there is a whistling sound when the side-panel is attached, because the fan is very close to the mesh, maybe touching it. That's why I have the "barebone" chassis on my desk now.
    Noctua.jpg
    All these temps are on stock clock speeds, I couldn't manage to oc my 1080, since every increase in clock or memory speed would crash my PC.

If somebody is a watercooling-friend, this waterblock might be worth a look:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LN0VGY4/?tag=theminutiae-20

Together with a 120mm rad in the new loft and a small pump-res-combo, you could watercool your Gigabyte GTX 1070 or 1080, for better temps, noise, and oc-potential

As a side node, I was invited to an oldschool-LAN-party some weeks ago, and the case had a fantastic effect on the other people, because nobody could imagine a full PC in this small form factor.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Frazhna likes this.
  32. Frazhna

Frazhna Limp Gawd

With GPU temps above 80 degrees, I get concerned that the GPU might throttle itself. Have you observed your GPU thermally throttling?

I really like your replacement of the stock fan. Now I wonder if any slim 120mm fans would fit, and if they would improve temps or noise.

In regards to your LAN party, I had a similar experience when I showed up with my NCase M1 a few years back. It was funny seeing my friends struggle in with their full tower behemoths and I walk in with a duffle bag, and my computer was the highest performing one in the room. My friends’ giant monstrosities had a large impact on me getting in to this whole SFF thing.

Jspr and GermanDrifter97 like this.
  33. GermanDrifter97

GermanDrifter97 n00b

I didn't notice any throttling while gaming, but just to be sure I just ran Heaven Benchmark three times. It started with 55°C and around 1860 MHz, and ended after the third run with 78°C and an average of around 1797 MHz. But I think this depended on the load on the GPU, since I still saw some scenes of the benchmark where the 1080 was over 1.8 GHz, even in the third run where it started to get toasty...

I also did screenshots of the benchmark results, but... yeah, I think something got mixed up... (from left to right: run 1 to 3)
    Benchmark.jpg

As you can see, the second run got a better score than the first one, but the GPU was already at 74°C (Might be because of a bug that sometimes heaven benchmark gets locked at 60 FPS...)

During gaming, as far as I know, the GPU always stays above 1800 MHz, no matter what the temps are. And regarding that the GPUs boost clock is rated at 1771 MHz by Gigabyte, I would say that it doesn't throttle at all...

For the fan, I had a similar idea before I settled with the Noctua fan. But after removing the original shroud, I saw the problem (click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture):
    Heatsink.jpg

The heatsink has kind of steps in it... the smallest and thinnest area is where the original fan is mounted on. The next area is enough space for the fan blades, and a little bit over 92mm wide. Which means, that the only fan that would fit onto the GPU and into the MI-6 at the same time, is the NF-A9x14...

I also had the idea to sand down the fins to the left and right of the fan, so the middle area would be bigger, and a 120mm slim fan could fit, but unfortunately the farthest left and farthest right heat pipe is too close to the fins, and I couldn't sand the heatsink down enough without destroying the heat pipes...

The best solution for an air cooled GTX 1080 in the MI-6 would be the Gaming Box Version of the card, like it's shown in post #1182. The 130mm fan would cool the GPU far better than the 92mm small Noctua, and be maybe even a bit quieter doing so. I contacted the Gigabyte Support and asked them if they would sell the fan shroud of the Gaming Box Version of the 1080 as a replacement part, so I could mount it on my regular GTX 1080... but they didn't quite understand my problem, and just said that it would woid my guarantee if I disassembled my Gaming Box... (Which I don't even have...)

For fan controlling, I first had it attached to a 4-pin motherboard connector, running the fan constantly at full speed. Later, I bought this adapter:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005ZKZEQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My fan curve is a plain line from 0°/0% to 50°/70%, and then the fan speed stays at 70%, since the Noctua doesn't accelerate further from this point.

Yes, it was exactly the same for me. The biggest device for me was my monitor, the MI-6 literally fits into one of those folding boxes, together with all cables and peripherals... and it still was more powerfull than any other huge tower standing there. IMO this WOW-effect is by far the best part of the MI-6

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Frazhna and Jspr like this.
  34. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

A bit of news on the pre-ordering I posted on the webpage today --

As of July 8th, there are 50 pre-orders so far for the 100-case next batch. The pre-order list will stay open and the new target date is the END OF JULY to start taking payments and kick off production.

I've been ramping up my new twitter site, so that should help getting the word out.

Frazhna and Neapolitan6th like this.
  35. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Good news Fire, glad to see you have half of your pre-orders already. Hope production on this run goes smooth.

36. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

Cooling Update -- Corsair 120mm AIO Tested

I installed the AIO on my i7-6700k in a surrogate tall loft (cardboard, lol) and tested it stock, and also with overclocking. I added the results to a previous plot. The new data is in yellow.

Attached Files:

37. GermanDrifter97

GermanDrifter97 n00b

What AIO did you install?

38. Firewolfy

Firewolfy Gawd

The H60

39. GermanDrifter97

GermanDrifter97 n00b

Thanks