CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

Matt Reissmann has made a nice slim fan comparison sheet HERE. Lot of good data for anyone looking at 92mm fans for the bottom of the case or for CPU heatsinks. Might want to give him kudos if you find it useful.

I'll put a link to it on the front page too.

Question Fire. Looking at your build pic it looks like there is room for a 92X25mm fan, will one fit or will it block the lower row of PSU sockets? I have a Noiseblocker BlackNoise 92X25mm that I was never able to use in my Ncase and I would prefer to use that. If not I have a ID-Cooling 92X15mm PWM fan that I had previously used with a NZXT Kraken and can just use that.

Question Fire. Looking at your build pic it looks like there is room for a 92X25mm fan, will one fit or will it block the lower row of PSU sockets? I have a Noiseblocker BlackNoise 92X25mm that I was never able to use in my Ncase and I would prefer to use that. If not I have a ID-Cooling 92X15mm PWM fan that I had previously used with a NZXT Kraken and can just use that.

Well, in order of ease of installation:
  • A 13-16mm fan is easy.
  • A 17-20mm fan is possible, you just might have to loosen the I/O board to install it.
  • A 25mm fan is mostly impossible. I don't know the PSU you are planning to use, but I checked the clearance for my SF450 in the case, and it will fit if you cut off the locking tabs from the cable connectors in that bottom row of jacks (PCI and CPU cables, -and any SATAs you put there). Also, the 25mm height interferes with the front I/O board, and prevents mounting a HDD in the lower front location. So there is a way to get it in there, kind of.

Well, in order of ease of installation:
  • A 13-16mm fan is easy.
  • A 17-20mm fan is possible, you just might have to loosen the I/O board to install it.
  • A 25mm fan is mostly impossible. I don't know the PSU you are planning to use, but I checked the clearance for my SF450 in the case, and it will fit if you cut off the locking tabs from the cable connectors in that bottom row of jacks (PCI and CPU cables, -and any SATAs you put there). Also, the 25mm height interferes with the front I/O board, and prevents mounting a HDD in the lower front location. So there is a way to get it in there, kind of.

Corsair SF600 so would be the same. Thanks for the info, guess I will use the ID Cooling. Which is ok, never thought I would find another use for it.

Order update: We are up to 32 case orders, so we are above the batch minimum and a sure thing now. I will keep the store open to Thurs night then kick off the production Friday, as planned for the final order quantity.

Thanks!!

-Fire

Last edited:
Reactions: eggDK
like this
Order update: We are up to 32 case orders, so we are above the batch minimum and a sure thing now. I will keep the store open to Thurs night then kick off the production Friday, as planned for the final order quantity.

Thanks!!

-Fire

No, thank you Fire. :D

Hey guys, I wanted to get you a status -- All is well and on track!

All the custom and long lead components that go into the MI-6 are on order and in process (aluminum chassis parts, PCIE riser, front I/O, power switch, case feet, nameplates, etc). The longest lead item that drives the schedule is the fabricated aluminum chassis parts, so that order went out first, of course. This week I'm working orders for all the fasteners, packaging and other small parts that have short lead times.

I had hoped this week to offer case owners with front I/O a way to customize the front power button: aftermarket buttons with different colors and materials through Shapeways. Not a big deal, just a way to accent the case your way. BUT, I haven't been totally happy with the standard button (not enough travel to ensure it always clicks), so I'm having Shapeways make a revised button. Should have more info next week on this.

Thanks

Hey,
Production still rolling. Got word that sheet aluminum fabrication has started. On track for Jan 26 start of shipments.

For those looking for a gpu, Newegg has a sale on theGigabyte 1080 mini for $499 here

Last edited:
Update

This week has been a holiday week for my fabricator, and for me, so not much to report. Hope everyone is having a good Christmas season. I'll have more to report next week.

Aftermarket front pushbuttons and bezels for those who ordered the case with front I/O are available here: SHAPEWAYS LINK
These are available in various colors and materials for personalization. Below are the standard colors.

o0SGVuE.png

I am getting ready for my MI-6 build and did some preliminary CPU cooler testing today. I had been worried that I would not be able to sufficiently cool my 8700k with the available coolers.

First thing I did was delid. I have been running this CPU in my Ncase using a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. If left in the Ncase I probably would not have bothered with the delid. Normal temps while gaming were mid 50C to low 60C which I am fine with. Testing a 5.0 GHz overclock at 1.35v I got single core temps as high as 87C. After the delid max single core temps were a full 20C lower and 15C lower at 1.25v.

I ended up going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, I really wanted the Noctua NH-L12 but lack of supply and super high prices decided for me (wish I had ordered before they discontinued them). At only $36 hard to pass up the Big Shuriken.

Before swapping coolers I ran stress test with no overclock, 4.3 GHz at 1.20v. Max single core temp with the Dark Rock was 55C. Now the shocker, max single core temp with the Big Shuriken was 62C. I was hoping for no more than 10C increase and would not have been surprised with 15C. After all the Big Shuriken is only 58mm tall and the Dark Rock is 130mm.

Both tests were done with 100% fan speed. The Scythe is audible, but not excessively loud at 100%. I set it back to a curve and it is very quiet.

So I am incredibly pleased with the Big Shuriken, I know I can run my 8700k with no problem. It does look incredible out of place in the Ncase, but will look good in the MI-6.

Last edited:
I’m just about ready to say farewell to full length graphics cards and so I’m very interested in this case. I’m curious about the fasteners. It says they are stainless steel. Does that just mean they are stainless steel screws, screwed in to the aluminum chassis? My all aluminum case was great for being light weight, but the aluminum threads wore out pretty quickly. I heard that later versions of the case included steel inserts so the threads wouldn’t wear out so fast. Are you doing anything like that for this case?

Yes, I was concerned about threads in aluminum as well when I was designing the MI-6. Everywhere there are fasteners I have stainless steel threaded inserts.

And while we are talking about fasteners, some screws are stainless, but the screws that will be removed and reinstalled are zinc plated steel. So that means the cover, the MB and the PSU screws. I made this compromise so that magnetic screwdrivers could be used and make installation easier.

Hope all this info helps

EDIT -- External screws are black zinc, not the shiny zinky look, lol.

Last edited:
Yes, I was concerned about threads in aluminum as well when I was designing the MI-6. Everywhere there are fasteners I have stainless steel threaded inserts.

And while we are talking about fasteners, some screws are stainless, but the screws that will be removed and reinstalled are zinc plated steel. So that means the cover, the MB and the PSU screws. I made this compromise so that magnetic screwdrivers could be used and make installation easier.

Hope all this info helps

That is great news and something I didn't realize. One thing I don't like about my Ncase are the aluminum screws, I have only stripped one but you have to be so careful with them. Be nice to have the better screws and inserts.

Hey,
I received word from the aluminum fabricator that they had some trouble with the anodizing house they use. In fact the anodizer shut down. I don't have a whole lot more info than that, except that another anodizer has been switched over to. The net result is that there will be over a week delay in my receiving the case chassis parts. I've moved out the start of shipment to Feb 9, a full 2 weeks from Jan 26, in case there are any other problems that might crop up.

It's always the last 10% of the project that poses the biggest problems, as they say.

--- On a separate note, for those interested in a case but didn't make onto this batch, I'm working on customizing the 4 pre-production cases that I have sitting here. Looking to go with a matte minor-textured black powder coat. --Or maybe an eggshell white powder coat, or old school powderblue with white on top... Well, I haven't quite figured out the powdercoat color to go with on the covers of those 4. If you are interested or have ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Fire

Hey,
I received word from the aluminum fabricator that they had some trouble with the anodizing house they use. In fact the anodizer shut down. I don't have a whole lot more info than that, except that another anodizer has been switched over to. The net result is that there will be over a week delay in my receiving the case chassis parts. I've moved out the start of shipment to Feb 9, a full 2 weeks from Jan 26, in case there are any other problems that might crop up.

It's always the last 10% of the project that poses the biggest problems, as they say.

--- On a separate note, for those interested in a case but didn't make onto this batch, I'm working on customizing the 4 pre-production cases that I have sitting here. Looking to go with a matte minor-textured black powder coat. --Or maybe an eggshell white powder coat, or old school powderblue with white on top... Well, I haven't quite figured out the powdercoat color to go with on the covers of those 4. If you are interested or have ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Fire
I say Retro beige

Hey,

Thanks
Fire

When you say pre-production cases, are you talking about some of the earlier prototypes, or are they just the same as the final production cases?

The net result is that there will be over a week delay in my receiving the case chassis parts. I've moved out the start of shipment to Feb 9, a full 2 weeks from Jan 26, in case there are any other problems that might crop up.

Dang, my Corsair SF450 was just delivered today. When I read this, I quickly ordered a ATX-SFX adapter bracket so I can install the PSU into the current case that has all of the other parts installed and test it out before the seller return-period expires on the PSU.

FYI, Wal-Mart has the the Kingwin ATX-SFX brackets for $2.84 with free ship-to-store (or free ship-to-home with orders over $35). The Kingwin adapters are identical to the Silverstone adapters as far as I can tell.

Dang, my Corsair SF450 was just delivered today. When I read this, I quickly ordered a ATX-SFX adapter bracket so I can install the PSU into the current case that has all of the other parts installed and test it out before the seller return-period expires on the PSU.

FYI, Wal-Mart has the the Kingwin ATX-SFX brackets for $2.84 with free ship-to-store (or free ship-to-home with orders over $35). The Kingwin adapters are identical to the Silverstone adapters as far as I can tell.

I have a Raijintek Metis case with a SF450 installed and that is where I got my ATX-SFX adapter, hard to beat that price.

When you say pre-production cases, are you talking about some of the earlier prototypes, or are they just the same as the final production cases?

I have 4 pre-production samples made in November by the sheet metal fabrication house. They are more than 95% the same as the production run. I'll put together a list of differences.

I am getting ready for my MI-6 build and did some preliminary CPU cooler testing today. I had been worried that I would not be able to sufficiently cool my 8700k with the available coolers.

First thing I did was delid. I have been running this CPU in my Ncase using a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. If left in the Ncase I probably would not have bothered with the delid. Normal temps while gaming were mid 50C to low 60C which I am fine with. Testing a 5.0 GHz overclock at 1.35v I got single core temps as high as 87C. After the delid max single core temps were a full 20C lower and 15C lower at 1.25v.

I ended up going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, I really wanted the Noctua NH-L12 but lack of supply and super high prices decided for me (wish I had ordered before they discontinued them). At only $36 hard to pass up the Big Shuriken.

Before swapping coolers I ran stress test with no overclock, 4.3 GHz at 1.20v. Max single core temp with the Dark Rock was 55C. Now the shocker, max single core temp with the Big Shuriken was 62C. I was hoping for no more than 10C increase and would not have been surprised with 15C. After all the Big Shuriken is only 58mm tall and the Dark Rock is 130mm.

Both tests were done with 100% fan speed. The Scythe is audible, but not excessively loud at 100%. I set it back to a curve and it is very quiet.

So I am incredibly pleased with the Big Shuriken, I know I can run my 8700k with no problem. It does look incredible out of place in the Ncase, but will look good in the MI-6.
I didn't realize the big Shuriken 2 would fit =O

Yeah at only 58mm it has a full 10mm of clearance, so hopefully there won't be any turbulence.
I hadn't looked at any of the measurements honestly, I have one lying around. Good to know. However my build is ever postponed with these graphics cards inflated prices =/.

Unfortunately the Big Shuriken 2 has no AM4 compatable mounting bracket, and the L9x65 is 66mm tall with the AM4-Bracket from Noctua, meaning that it nearly touches the side panel of the case. I can imagine that this would lead to very loud and slightly less cooling performance.
So for my Ryzen 7 1700 I see two possibilities: on one hand the NH-L9a, maybe together with a bigger fan. I found this comparison between it and the L9i:

on the other hand I stumbled across the EKL Alpenföhn Silvretta. It's much cheaper, and according to this review
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/l...lvretta-ein-kleiner-gletscher-ganz-gross.html it can cool down an overclocked FX-8150. Despite that being a 125 W TDP processor, the Alpenföhn should be enough to cool my overclocked 1700. I should be able to even replace the fan on it for a quieter/better one.

Has anybody already used this processor-cooler-combination or has other tests made with the Alpenföhn? Or are there other coolers for AM4 wich should fit into the MI-6?

Unfortunately the Big Shuriken 2 has no AM4 compatable mounting bracket, and the L9x65 is 66mm tall with the AM4-Bracket from Noctua, meaning that it nearly touches the side panel of the case. I can imagine that this would lead to very loud and slightly less cooling performance.
So for my Ryzen 7 1700 I see two possibilities: on one hand the NH-L9a, maybe together with a bigger fan. I found this comparison between it and the L9i:

on the other hand I stumbled across the EKL Alpenföhn Silvretta. It's much cheaper, and according to this review
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/l...lvretta-ein-kleiner-gletscher-ganz-gross.html it can cool down an overclocked FX-8150. Despite that being a 125 W TDP processor, the Alpenföhn should be enough to cool my overclocked 1700. I should be able to even replace the fan on it for a quieter/better one.

Has anybody already used this processor-cooler-combination or has other tests made with the Alpenföhn? Or are there other coolers for AM4 wich should fit into the MI-6?

You might take a look at the ID-Cooling IS-60, I considered buying it but was more money so I just went with the Big Shuriken. It is AM4 compatible and only 55mm tall with fan.

Back