CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

A quick update --

I'm getting some more of the quotes in from additional fab houses. Not done, but getting more costing and feedback, so that is good.

I am in the process of generating a good set of brochure-type slides to use in forums and webpages. I have put a couple in back on page 1.

Pre-order/interest list -- not at the 30 or 40 pc threshold yet to kick off the first production run, but making progress, so that is good!

Be careful out there.

Nice update on the first page! Perhaps you can post your test results (temps, parts used, etc) on the first page as well.

I putting together some graphics/brochure type material. I added what I have so far to the first page. Enjoy!

Hi mate,

Do you have any R&D funds left to potentially test fit and benchmark the Raijintek Pallas cooler? It stands at 68mm in height, which puts it at the threshold of CPU cooler clearance. It may end up squeezing into the case and proving to be one of the best cooler options...

Raijintek Pallas Review

edit: I actually don't have firm info that the Pallas fits fine on mITX boards, so maybe someone else can chime in with that info first hah

Last edited:
…68mm in height, which puts it at the threshold of CPU cooler clearance.

The CPU cooler clearance on the MI-6 is 65mm, so the unit you reference is 3mm too tall…

The included fan (review linked does not specify the thickness of the fan) appears to already be a "slim" model, so no hope of fitting a different fan to try & get at or under the 65mm clearance threshold…

Best bet, IMHO, is the Noctua NH-L9x65; maximum height allowed & virtually zero interference issues with MB components…

The CPU cooler clearance on the MI-6 is 65mm, so the unit you reference is 3mm too tall…

The included fan (review linked does not specify the thickness of the fan) appears to already be a "slim" model, so no hope of fitting a different fan to try & get at or under the 65mm clearance threshold…

Best bet, IMHO, is the Noctua NH-L9x65; maximum height allowed & virtually zero interference issues with MB components…

Hiya. My comments on the Pallas perhaps fitting are based off Firewolfy's comments on the L9x65 test fit posted on page 16. I'm wondering if the Pallas might sneak inside thanks to the approximate 2mm of clearance that Firewolfy observed:

Second test: the Noctua NH-L9x65 cpu cooler!

It fit in the the case with about 2mm to spare to the outer wall, so that was about as expected.

With that said, if it doesn't fit, the L9x65 is definitely something that I'd be considering.

Okay, this one will probably get filed away with all the other crazy ideas I have spouted off about in this thread…

PCI Bifurcation…!

I am imagining a Wide-Body MI-6 chassis, with sufficient room for dual Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini GPUs…

Combined with the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac motherboard, it would make one hell of a gaming rig / video editing station…!

X99 + SLI 1070s…!!!

Now, for my NAS idea…

Imagine a stack of 16 SSDs on the MB side of the chassis, and the controller board on the GPU side…

Okay, okay…! I am stepping away from the keyboard now…!

Firewolfy,

Question(s) about the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini…

Spacing between GPU & inside of outer shell…?

Thickness of shroud…?

Estimated spacing between heat sink & inside of outer shell (with shroud removed)…?

It is my understanding that the fan connection on the 1070 Mini is a 4-pin PWM, so pulling the shroud & using a larger fan might improve temps & airflow…?

I imagine the heat sink from the Noctua NH-L9x65 on the CPU side, the stock heat sink included with the 1070 Mini on the GPU side; and a Cryorig XT140 slim (13mm) fan on either side, feeding air into each chamber…

Last edited:
Firewolfy,

Question(s) about the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini…

Spacing between GPU & inside of outer shell…?

Thickness of shroud…?

Estimated spacing between heat sink & inside of outer shell (with shroud removed)…?

It is my understanding that the fan connection on the 1070 Mini is a 4-pin PWM, so pulling the shroud & using a larger fan might improve temps & airflow…?

I imagine the heat sink from the Noctua NH-L9x65 on the CPU side, the stock heat sink included with the 1070 Mini on the GPU side; and a Cryorig XT140 slim (13mm) fan on either side, feeding air into each chamber…

Sorry bro, I switched GPUs with my son so he could run the 1070 some. I have a EVGA 1060 in there now. About 8mm b/t EVGA and inside of cover. About 43.3mm (1.71") from Back of PCB to inside of cover. I'll try to get you some 1070 dims in the next few days.

Reactions: Boil
like this
I am torn between going with an i5 6500 & the EVGA GTX 1060 SC; or stepping up to an i7 6700 & the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini OC…

I would save 260 bucks with the former setup, but might be a bit more future-proof with the latter setup…?

I think I am leaning towards the i7 6700 paired with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC; that way I have three DisplayPort connections for a triple-monitor setup down the road…

Last edited:
I am torn between going with an i5 6500 & the EVGA GTX 1060 SC; or stepping up to an i7 6700 & the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini OC…

I would save 260 bucks with the former setup, but might be a bit more future-proof with the latter setup…?

I think I am leaning towards the i7 6700 paired with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC; that way I have three DisplayPort connections for a triple-monitor setup down the road…

Assuming the video card is for gaming, I think it depends on what resolution you're using. The GTX 1060 is perfect for 1080p, but you'd want the GTX 1070 for 1440p. If you want 4K, you'll be making a compromise even with the GTX 1070.

BTW, what you're leaning towards is pretty close to what I'm planning to put into this case. I built the system for my son for 1080p gaming and video editing

Core i7-6700 w/ stock cooler
EVGA GTX1060 Gaming
Gigabyte GA-Z170-WIFI
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB
Intel 600p 512GB

These components are currently installed in an original Lian Li PC-A05B. I built this system in June and I've opened it up twice to install the EVGA GTX 1060 and the Intel 600p. That case was considered a compact for an ATX case when I bought it 10 years ago, but I just shake my head every time I look inside and see all that wasted space. I just can't wait for a truly compact case.

Well, I have been working on publicizing the case to determine interest. We are at about 15 on the interest/pre-order list.
The plan is to get to more than 30, maybe up to 40, then take the next step and kick off a first run.

A few more updates--
On the sheet metal quoting front, I have been working with 2 new potential shops. One ended up too expensive, but I visited the second shop and he is working on quote package. Should have that within a week.

PCIE riser: Case will have mounting hole patterns for 3M, ModDIY, Samtec and LiHeat. Have been using the ModDIY for a couple weeks full time, and It is working well. The plan is still to ship with the ModDIY riser, since LiHeat has not launched their new riser yet, and the others are more than double the price.

Prototyping: I have been thinking one more prototype is needed to make the final case in all its glory (instead of test versions), verify the design, and demonstrate that the supplier can make it correctly, before a production run. The current prototype 2 level hardware I used for fit checks and thermal testing is a bit long in the tooth. The design has been tweaked in several places (simpler divider, slotted cover, pci cover, simpler chassis) and both the cover and front plate were test configurations. Unfortunately the cost of 2 more prototypes is $600-800, so it may take some time to figure out how to fund that sort of thing. I do remember that the M1 had a prototype kickstarter, so that may be an option.

That's it for now!

Any updates on that second shop…?

This SF600 is looking for a home that is not its original packaging…!

Have you thought about Kickstarter? I know most people aren't fans of it because there's loads of projects that fail to meet up to either what they claim or delivery, but I think if you get enough orders you'd be able to get a casemaker to do a run for you.
Looks like a very cool case!

Sorry about the lack of updates recently, let's get to it!

So, I got reasonable pricing from the new machine shop I have been working with on quoting. Specifically we were working on a run of 30pcs.

A couple bits to be resolved--
1) I need to discuss what he needs to make a couple prototypes to verify dimensions and fit and finish. I have not heard back yet on that. That is a concern of course, and as I mentioned previously, I need to figure out how to fund that.
2) Recently I have been given the opportunity to find a new job. So, unfortunately for the Mi-6 timing, I am spending a lot of time working on that. As I get back on my feet, hopefully in the next few weeks, I can jump back into getting some beauties made!

Reactions: Boil
like this
I would have liked to preorder but I must have a too low rank on the forum. I can't find any "Send Private Message" link anywhere.

Sorry about the lack of updates recently, let's get to it!

So, I got reasonable pricing from the new machine shop I have been working with on quoting. Specifically we were working on a run of 30pcs.

A couple bits to be resolved--
1) I need to discuss what he needs to make a couple prototypes to verify dimensions and fit and finish. I have not heard back yet on that. That is a concern of course, and as I mentioned previously, I need to figure out how to fund that.
2) Recently I have been given the opportunity to find a new job. So, unfortunately for the Mi-6 timing, I am spending a lot of time working on that. As I get back on my feet, hopefully in the next few weeks, I can jump back into getting some beauties made!

Dude, best of luck on the job hunt; I always HATE the whole ordeal…!

Have you considered testing the 92mm intake fan with a spacer/shroud? It could provide a little bit more air and help with pressure.

Interesting CPU coolers that may be worth a look:

- Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet

143202.1b7b1bccea7c9a40e2c7f63b3ca704bf.ba16b37297356751c8b7a0ffbe212b9f.256c.jpg

Since this cooler has somewhat of an radial spread, it could help with air circulation.

- Thermaltake Engine 27

Thermaltake_Engine27_situ.jpg

A japanese review indikates bad performance, but amazon reviews tell a better story.

- Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle

350x700px-LL-9e8cfa79_axp2.jpeg

Seems to make cable management easy to do.

Would the use of a shroud on the cpu cooler fan (let's say on the x65) to seal intake to outside only help with temperatures?

Would the use of a shroud on the cpu cooler fan (let's say on the x65) to seal intake to outside only help with temperatures?

The Noctua NH-L9x65 should be right up on the side panel, so no room at all really for a shroud (less than 1mm)…?

Have you considered testing the 92mm intake fan with a spacer/shroud? It could provide a little bit more air and help with pressure.

Interesting CPU coolers that may be worth a look:

- Zalman Quiet

143202.1b7b1bccea7c9a40e2c7f63b3ca704bf.ba16b37297356751c8b7a0ffbe212b9f.256c.jpg

Since this cooler has somewhat of an radial spread, it could help with air circulation.

- Thermaltake Engine 27

Thermaltake_Engine27_situ.jpg

A japanese review indikates bad performance, but amazon reviews tell a better story.

- Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle

350x700px-LL-9e8cfa79_axp2.jpeg

Seems to make cable management easy to do.

Well that Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet is 60mm tall, so that would fit right in there (max room is 65mm). I didn't see a TDP rating for it though.
The Thermaltake Engine 27 is sweet and only 27mm tall, if I read the specs right. As far as that AXP-100, you know, if you wasted way too much time and read through all my development posts, you'd see I mentioned it. I was flipping between testing or the Big Shuriken 2. It really looked like they should perform very similarly and have very similar dimensions. Since the Shuriken seems to be more popular I went with that. Results should be comparable tho.

I agree with Boil, that 65mm fits close to the outer panel, so there isn't much room for a shroud.

-- A quick note -- Looks like I'll be working this project more now, as it's pretty sure I've landed a new primary job, yeah!

-- A quick note -- Looks like I'll be working this project more now, as it's pretty sure I've landed a new primary job, yeah!

Congratulations on finding a job quickly! Really looking forward to your next prototypes and first run.

Looking for Your feedback....

Been a bit fidgety about the front face and it's lack of features, -may make it seem a bit, well, how best to put this: Huge and plain.
Been thinking of doing this to the front: A laser etched center line, and also round the bottom corners.

BYoeK10m.jpg
xqoHbEim.jpg
V0nfYjVm.jpg

I must beg for forgiveness on the pic colors I have been showing. For some reason my renderer actually renders a black exterior as pitch black with no detail, so I have to lighten it to a more grey appearance to get details.

Note, the goal is still to produce these in black.

Thoughts?

Thx

I compared the pictures in the first post to these and the rounded bottom corners are hardly noticable, but I like practicality of them (less chance to get damaged or damage other things) when moving it around.

Can't say I'm a fan of the center line, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Firewolfy , the rounded edges are subtle, but I like them.

With regard to the centerline, I could take it or leave it. However, just my $0.02, but I think it would be really cool, and break up the flat front, with a laser etched name/logo of your case and who designed it. Something like "MI-6 (drop down a line) designed by Firewolfy".

Like this:

MI-6 ( one type of font)
designed by Firewolfy (another maybe cursive-y font)

The size and location of this etching would be small, but not too small and in one of the corners of the flat front. This would preserve the flat front appearance but break it up just enough so as to spice it up a bit.

Rounded edges are subtle but a nice touch. I prefer the plain front panel.

If you want a little more visual interest I thought the burgundy coloured front panel you had in one render looked good. But black is probably more universal.

FYI, I have 25 on the interest/first run list so far. Will be shooting for around 40, then start email discussions regarding who is still in for the first run.

I talked a little about this in the Hutzy XS thread…

I am wondering if a Ryzen-based APU might bring decent gaming performance…

And that makes me wonder about a chassis like the MI-6, but a bit taller (and MAYBE just a bit deeper) designed around an APU & NO discrete GPU…

I envision the EK 140mm Predator up top, cooling that APU…

SFX PSU & bottom 92mm fan would still be there…

Front area where drives are currently would be where the AIO hoses go…

GPU area would now become the drive area…

Take a look at the bracket that is in the Fractal Design Define Nano S, attaches where the MB cutout is…

Something along those lines, but with the 'drive doubler' brackets that ship with the NCase M1; this would allow (4) 2.5" SSDs behind the MB, AND a M.2 NVMe SSD as the boot/system/apps drive…

Might need to have dust filters on the bottom for the 92mm intake (and for the PSU intake), and dust filters on the side panel perforations; the top-mounted AIO would pull air in from the side panels (and also be fed from the bottom fan) & exhaust all the case air up & out thru the radiator…

HBM2 version Raven Ridge APU will most likely land in the performance neighbourhood of RX460 if not worse, unless new architecture and HBM2 will magically let it compete with GTX1060 :p

Anyway if that becomes the new thing, then making something like Sentry, but running on smaller PSU would get whole lot easier because we could ditch all the shenanigans around handling the GPU mount, PSU up front, and make it even smaller and what is more important, practically silent with for example 280mm radiator.

We'll see how first test will go. I'm definitely buying an eight core if they make it 95W or less with some ITX boards on launch date, might get the APU as well just for the tests.

I would be good with GTX 1060 class GPU performance from an APU, as long as it also had i5 6600 CPU performance (if not i7 6700 performance)…

Really looking forward to more actual un-marketspeak results of the Ryzen CPU when it is actually available; and the same towards the APU line-up…

Just like the idea of the smaller, the better, and if a Ryzen-based APU that will run games at an acceptable rate allows a 10 liter or smaller chassis that includes water-cooling, that would just be awesome…

"Why can I not have an APU that performs as well as <insert top end CPU here>, but with the graphics capabilities of <insert SLI/CrossFire dual top end GPUs here>, all in a package smaller than a postage stamp that draws less than 100 watts of power while doing so…?!?"

Oh - My - Goodness

YJtdFBI.jpg

M.2 on both sides of board, and heatsinking on topside location

No more freaking ginormous SATA Express connectors

DDR4 up to 4266MHz

Reinforced PCIE connector

Crazy overclocking

Nice catch there Reaper!

Edit -- Added pic --

Yeah looks like the perfect board. Shame kaby lake is a load of crap lol. I think my 4690k will manage til the gen after :(. Stops me from spending a stupid amount on 2 nvme drives and a new board/cpu. (I already have free RAM from a friend XD). The board for me is perfect though otherwise, 3 fan pins, usb on the edge instead of centre. Etc.

Asus Strix Z270i MB & Zotac 1080 Mini GPU, OH MY…!!!

Back