CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

Ok, back from vacay!

I updated the project and design status posts on the first page. Since there have been several changes to the design (slots, no back flanges, mounting holes for multiple PCIE riser models, etc) I am looking at getting another couple prototypes built. This is a risk reduction plan to ensure that if we kcik off a 30pc run that they will actually fit together and have the expected quality and finish.

Added Contact List info to page 1.

Edit-- Contact list is for those interested in purchasing a case in the first run or later. Thanks!

Last edited:
Awesome looking case and makes me want to change cases from my Elite 130.

How much will you be asking for?
Also the drives, in post 490, I only see 1 drive location, are there more drive locations?

Awesome looking case and makes me want to change cases from my Elite 130.

How much will you be asking for?
Also the drives, in post 490, I only see 1 drive location, are there more drive locations?

The price will be approx $200 for the cases in the 30 pc run.

It will hold more hdd's, I will try to get some pics or model views up tonight to show the various mounting configs.

liking the new looks but...
you should add a slash between the H and P, so H/P or maybe HiPerf, in the thread title. they way it is now looks like HP(ackard) now has something to do with your case. i was very confused for a second or two...
other than that, keep up the good work!

liking the new looks but...
you should add a slash between the H and P, so H/P or maybe HiPerf, in the thread title. they way it is now looks like HP(ackard) now has something to do with your case. i was very confused for a second or two...
other than that, keep up the good work!

LOL, good point. HP hasn't yet approached me with their $1m buyout yet.....

Wow, you're gonna sell out for a measly $1m…?!?

I would hold out for nothing less than $7m…!

And free MI-6 chassis' for life…!

What PCIe riser cable [jedimindtrick] "…3M PCIe 3.0 x16…" [/jedimindtrick] does the target $200 price point include…?!?

Received a Moddiy 300mm PCIE Riser today. Bent it at both ends to fit the case, and installed the GPU to it. I don't have mouting points for the riser to the case, so it is just hanging there with the GPU on the end of it. Kind of a worst-case stress/strain.

Anyway, ran some Furmark with no problem and have been running it this evening, webpages, CAD and some gaming. No issues so far. Runs at gen 3.0.

I have spent time taking measurements and creating a CAD model of the riser end so I can define the mounting holes in the case. After I get that done, the case will be able to mount the 3M, Samtec, LiHeat, or Moddiy risers.

It will be great to have that flexibility, as the 3M and Samtec are very high quality but pricey ($80-100), and the Moddiy and LiHeat can offer a lower priced solution ($20-40).

What PCIe riser cable [jedimindtrick] "…3M PCIe 3.0 x16…" [/jedimindtrick] does the target $200 price point include…?!?

I'm right close to $200 with the original plan, using the LiHeat riser at approx $25, for a first run of 30 cases. Now that LiHeat has stopped production, I'll have to switch to another mfgr, and there will be a cost hit that is TBD. I'm waitng to hear back from 3M, and from a couple more sheet metal fabricators, so there is still hope for a reasonably-priced firs run.

I'm definitely interested in a 2nd run if the cover has the lip/flange and costs <USD200 including shipping. (I'm not in US)
If you could add the lip/flanges to the bottom cover, it would make adding a handle alot easier. All i would need to do is enlarge 2 holes at the top and screw in a handle.
The flange would support the weight of the case alot better than with just the 4 screws on the side.

Heres a pic of what I had in mind:
0f4f0fb8_myidea.png

NFS,
That cover attachmment would be fun to try to design down the road. We will see how a second run would go. Thanks for your interest!

Referring to - This image, if I don't have the HDD cage in, is there enough room for a 25mm 92mm fan down there? Or not gonna happen? It almost looks like there's enough room.. But could be very close.. With the way those cables are sitting.

If I were to purchase one, I'd want a near no cable build lol. Only a single M.2 drive (i have a network drive for storage, or can use an external if really want to..), I have a GTX 750 Ti EVGA with no PCIE connector. So I'd only need basically 8pin, 24pin, and a couple fan cables. Would be a very nice and sleek build.. May PM you shortly. XD

Last edited:
Referring to - This image, if I don't have the HDD cage in, is there enough room for a 25mm 92mm fan down there? Or not gonna happen? It almost looks like there's enough room.. But could be very close.. With the way those cables are sitting.

If I were to purchase one, I'd want a near no cable build lol. Only a single M.2 drive (i have a network drive for storage, or can use an external if really want to..), I have a GTX 750 Ti EVGA with no PCIE connector. So I'd only need basically 8pin, 24pin, and a couple fan cables. Would be a very nice and sleek build.. May PM you shortly. XD

Reaper,
On the SF450 there is 21mm up to the connector latches. If you have a SSD/HDD on the lower front wall, there is about 19mm clearance up to the HDD bracket/screws. So only a slim fan will fit there.
If you are thinking of another PSU, it might have more clearance. Minimal cabling sounds fantastic!

Reaper,
On the SF450 there is 21mm up to the connector latches. If you have a SSD/HDD on the lower front wall, there is about 19mm clearance up to the HDD bracket/screws. So only a slim fan will fit there.
If you are thinking of another PSU, it might have more clearance. Minimal cabling sounds fantastic!
No worries. Cheers.

Wonder if this would be a good cooler for this case.. It's very small, with a 25mm fan on top. Should fit. Being 120mm fan may help cool surrounding board components given the minimal airflow around the case. Hmm.

EDIT: the above page lists it 45mm.. which seems oddly shortly. It's actually 74mm with a 25mm fan. :\. Could still fit a 15mm 120mm fan though (i have a couple Gelids that could do the job here)

Further Edit: NH-L12 NH-L12 is 66mm tall with lower fan only. Your first post states a max 65. So definitely would not work without hitting the side panel?

Last edited:
No worries. Cheers.

Wonder if this would be a good cooler for this case.. It's very small, with a 25mm fan on top. Should fit. Being 120mm fan may help cool surrounding board components given the minimal airflow around the case. Hmm.

EDIT: the above page lists it 45mm.. which seems oddly shortly. It's actually 74mm with a 25mm fan. :\. Could still fit a 15mm 120mm fan though (i have a couple Gelids that could do the job here)

Further Edit: NH-L12 NH-L12 is 66mm tall with lower fan only. Your first post states a max 65. So definitely would not work without hitting the side panel?

Well, It would very likely rub against the cover, reducing flow and probably generating noise or vibration...

EDIT- I have been using the NH-L9x65 with success though, if that's any consolation.

Well, It would very likely rub against the cover, reducing flow and probably generating noise or vibration...
No worries just looking at different options. XD. Looks like the L9x65 is a solid option that doesn't impede the surrounding area, without performing too horribly.

I am leaning heavily towards the Noctua unit as well; the ID-Cooling vapor chamber model I linked awhile back has had nothing but bad reviews, stating it barely outperforms the stock Intel cooler…

Bummer on that, why can't someone make a quality copper vapor chamber that is 40mm tall, including the bracket to support a 120mm fan… Add said fan at 25mm, we are sitting at the 65mm maximum the chassis allows…

EDIT- I have been using the NH-L9x65 with success though, if that's any consolation.

For one of the future prototype cases, would it be possible to get them delivered without powdercoating or anodising, and instead opt for a clear sealant? I'd love to see what a raw aluminium finish would look like, if that was at all possible.

That's good news. The Elite 130 states it has a max height of 65 mm as well, but I can fit my NH-L12 with no issue.

For one of the future prototype cases, would it be possible to get them delivered without powdercoating or anodising, and instead opt for a clear sealant? I'd love to see what a raw aluminium finish would look like, if that was at all possible.

Fleet,
As it stands now, the alumimum for the chassis and cover won't be show quality after the punching and forming is done. There are press marks and lines and such. I did not quote fabrication with special tooling to maintain appearance, as the plan has been to powdercoat. This was to reduce cost and get a durable finish resistant to scratches and such.

Now the front plate is another story. It will be fine quality brushed appearance, with black anodizing. I can see about getting a pic of it prior to anodize, during the next prototype order.

Fleet,
As it stands now, the alumimum for the chassis and cover won't be show quality after the punching and forming is done. There are press marks and lines and such. I did not quote fabrication with special tooling to maintain appearance, as the plan has been to powdercoat. This was to reduce cost and get a durable finish resistant to scratches and such.

Now the front plate is another story. It will be fine quality brushed appearance, with black anodizing. I can see about getting a pic of it prior to anodize, during the next prototype order.

That makes sense. Yeah, if we could see a pre-anodized look at the front plate, that would be great :)

Quick update

Compiling preorder list of everyone interested.
Still waiting on quotes from 2 additional fabricators to improve costing.
I am also working on 2 areas to improve costing: tweaks to the center divider and cover. I don't have anything to show yet, but will this week.

And a request, Any interest in having the cover black brushed anodized, the same as the front?

As always, thx for your feedback!!

Firewolfy just my $0.02, but having the back brushed anodized like the front would be really cool. I think it would add an attention to detail not many case makers/designers really think about. Usually the finish on the back is an after thought.

Firewolfy just my $0.02, but having the back brushed anodized like the front would be really cool. I think it would add an attention to detail not many case makers/designers really think about. Usually the finish on the back is an after thought.
I meant the cover so it would match the front. But having the back anodized as well would be nice. It would require the whole main chassis be anodized, so the cost would go up some more.

Firewolfy doh! My bad! I misread it. Yes, having the cover finished like the front would be nice too. I think I'd be happy with either finish configuration.

I think leaving the back as is would be fine. I'm likely not going to be staring at the back of the computer myself, regardless of how I use or orient it. Just my opinion

Would like too see what the cover looked like in both finishes before I decided my preference, although I'm leaning towards uniformity (so, all anodized)

As for the back, I'm also not fussy on the appearance of the finish, although any finish that is more resistant to scratches from input devices being plugged in would be preferable

Edit: Further to the point, is there any scope for different anodizing colours for the front plate? Something like a green anodized front plate with a matte black powder coated cover could look really striking...

Would like too see what the cover looked like in both finishes before I decided my preference, although I'm leaning towards uniformity (so, all anodized)

As for the back, I'm also not fussy on the appearance of the finish, although any finish that is more resistant to scratches from input devices being plugged in would be preferable

Edit: Further to the point, is there any scope for different anodizing colours for the front plate? Something like a green anodized front plate with a matte black powder coated cover could look really striking...
The big problem is that there is a batch charge for anodizing, which is around $90. So that is a min charge for 1-100 parts, plus per part charge for any special fixturing. So it get pricey quick for custom 1-off colors

The big problem is that there is a batch charge for anodizing, which is around $90. So that is a min charge for 1-100 parts, plus per part charge for any special fixturing. So it get pricey quick for custom 1-off colors

Oh right, makes sense

I like the powder coated finish, seems like it might be more durable…

The 'contrasting' anodized front panel is good though; it adds, well, contrast…

I'm indifferent on anodized vs. powder-coat. I like the look of the anodized brushed aluminum, but I also like the durability of the powder-coat.

To be honest, now that there are no front panel connectors, there is no need to make it accessible, let alone visible, so nobody is ever going to see the top and sides while it's in use.

0f4f0fb8_myidea.png

NFS,
That cover attachmment would be fun to try to design down the road. We will see how a second run would go. Thanks for your interest!

It shouldn't be hard to do, just an addition 1cm at both ends and bend 90 degrees.

That's similar to my plan as well, but I think you'll need the molex cable as well. If the gpu doesn't have pci-e power connectors, the ribbon riser might not be able to power the gpu.
You'll need a molex powered pci-e ribbon cable. Or perhaps firewolfy can test if the supplied ribbon cable will be able to power a slot powered gpu.

Back