Which package do you prefer?

• CCCP

Votes: 51 35.2%
  • VLC

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Other (list it in your post)

Votes: 47 32.4%

• Total voters
I think the polls speak for themselves that it is a personal decision. Some prefer the all in one solution, some prefer the stripped down basic solution, there is no right or wrong. But then again, strong feelings have shown themselves, yet again, people have proven they are dicks and live goes on.

I use GOM Player and Windows Media Player if I need to. I can understand why people USED to use Media Player Classic years ago when they had trouble playing certain codecs with WMP because it used up a lot of resources but the notion that anyone would still be using it is a little silly. I mean, does anyone of this forum really have a 2Ghz Pentium 4 computer anymore?

And I use K-Like Codec pack but not Media Player Classic. The filters are DirectShow compliant and work just fine in WMP.

I use GOM Player and Windows Media Player if I need to. I can understand why people USED to use Media Player Classic years ago when they had trouble playing certain codecs with WMP because it used up a lot of resources but the notion that anyone would still be using it is a little silly. I mean, does anyone of this forum really have a 2Ghz Pentium 4 computer anymore?

And I use K-Like Codec pack but not Media Player Classic. The filters are DirectShow compliant and work just fine in WMP.

I guess you haven't given Media Player Classic Home Cinema a try with DXVA and Pixel Shader Filters like sharpening, and TV->PC Levels.

No it's not silly to use MPC-HC. WMP is lacking in a lot of functionality when compared to MPC-HC.

I mean, does anyone of this forum really have a 2Ghz Pentium 4 computer anymore?
Why use something that takes a second or two to launch when you can use something that launches instantaneously?

There's no real 'purpose' to bloat. Avoiding it is only logical, and embracing it is irrational.

Why use something that takes a second or two to launch when you can use something that launches instantaneously?

There's no real 'purpose' to bloat. Avoiding it is only logical, and embracing it is irrational.

Perhaps my computer is just so fast that everything I use launches instantly. I think that is the case, especially when it comes to the browser wars. I understand liking extensions but when I just need to check webmail, any browser will do because they all work. Same thing here. I have never used the MPC-HC which someone called me out on but then again, I am not looking for advanced library functions. I double click on a file and it plays. That is all I am looking for. WMP does that just fine and if I did need a library, it actually has one that isn't so bad anymore.

I guess what it all boils down to is this, WMP and IE do what I need them to do so I do not really feel it is worth the extra time to install and configure more stuff to accomplish the same task. (btw, I use Opera for a browser most of the time but IE works just fine too).

I have never used the MPC-HC which someone called me out on but then again, I am not looking for advanced library functions. I double click on a file and it plays. That is all I am looking for. WMP does that just fine and if I did need a library, it actually has one that isn't so bad anymore.

Don't know what library function you are talking about, but you did mention about installing stuff you didn't need. With WMP you still need to install some codecs like ffdshow + Haali.

With MPC-HC all you need is 1 .exe file with which you can play any file except real format files. You don't even need to install it. What can be simpler than that ?

the advantage of using something like CoreAVC (for me) instead of the built in decoder is that it uses CUDA instead of DXVA which is compatible with alot more file that DXVA sometimes will choke on. lvl 5.1 1080p encodes for example...

i woulda tried coreavc, but it seems u need to pay for it and i have yet to "acquire" a free copy.

And I use K-Like Codec pack...

My condolences.

I use Win 7 codecs from the Shark guy. Theyre AWESOME

Agreed. I've liked MPC-HC so far but when I was trying out Win7codecs by Shark007 with WMP 12 (or whatever default WMP is in Win7) it was working wonderfully. Honestly, I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get the space bar to act as a pause/play button in WMP 12?

Does anyone know if there's any way to get the space bar to act as a pause/play button in WMP 12?

That was a big thing for me, a big WANT for WMP12 in Windows 7, and I even dumped that suggestion to the developers over 20 times in the past year and a half, but alas, it just didn't happen. If WMP12 has focus, and you click the Play/Pause button with your mouse and then don't click anything else anywhere, at all, the Spacebar will work as Play/Pause.

But if you click ANYWHERE ELSE after you put the focus on that one control item, it won't work anymore.

As long as the one specific control - the Play/Pause button itself - has focus, the Spacebar works to toggle it.

It's kinda stupid considering every other media player out there uses the Spacebar as Play/Pause - even QuickTime for Pete's Sake©... :D

Just never been able to figure out why Microsoft can't seem to grasp how useful that one thing actually is. BLEH.

Last edited:
Just never been able to figure out why Microsoft can't seem to grasp how useful that one thing actually is. BLEH.
Honestly, that sounds a lot like their thinking for nearly every one of their products, at least the media related ones: Zune, Media Center, WHS, Extenders, etc.

Yes, in new builds of MPC-HC, all the settings for proper HA are enabled by default.

Mr. Nails, the advantage of using something like CoreAVC (for me) instead of the built in decoder is that it uses CUDA instead of DXVA which is compatible with alot more file that DXVA sometimes will choke on. lvl 5.1 1080p encodes for example, which I have quite a few of. Other than that, MPC-HC's internal filters take care of the rest.
your Q6600 at 3GHz still chokes on some 1080p?

your Q6600 at 3GHz still chokes on some 1080p?

My CPU isn't doing the decoding, the GPU is. DXVA doesn't play nice with lvl 5.1 encodes, that is what I was talking about. CUDA has no problems with them.

My CPU isn't doing the decoding, the GPU is. DXVA doesn't play nice with lvl 5.1 encodes, that is what I was talking about. CUDA has no problems with them.
most of my stuff is 1080p, would I be better off letting the CPU decode instead of DXVA?
CPU is a E7200 at 3.16GHz
I'm not sure what I should use between DXVA, Core AVC, or just the regular decoder for CPUs

and while we're on the subject
I don't really understand the relationship between players like mpc-hc and media centers like xbmc and boxee

What GPU do you have? If its an Nvidia chip, use CoreAVC w/ CUDA.

There is no relationship. A standalone player is just that, a standalone player. Unless you want to watch stuff from your couch and use a remote to control the computer, a standalone player is your best bet.

I use MPC-HC at my desk, then use 7MC when I watch from my couch because I can use a remote.

What GPU do you have? If its an Nvidia chip, use CoreAVC w/ CUDA.

There is no relationship. A standalone player is just that, a standalone player. Unless you want to watch stuff from your couch and use a remote to control the computer, a standalone player is your best bet.

I use MPC-HC at my desk, then use 7MC when I watch from my couch because I can use a remote.

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (NVIDIA 9400)
yeah I want something for the HTPC to make it easier to browse from the couch

Instal Windows 7
Install CoreAVC 1.9.5 (and Haalis Media Splitter)
Install the 7MC DirectShow changer and select CoreAVC as your preferred decoder
Site back and enjoy... 7MC will now play anything and everything out there, and use your GPU for HD video.

(any cheap MCE remote on newegg will work)

Also, the MediaBrowser plugin for 7MC amazing, it should be how browsing your media in 7MC should be like by default.

Instal Windows 7
Site back and enjoy... 7MC will now play anything and everything out there, and use your GPU for HD video.

Also, the MediaBrowser plugin for 7MC amazing, it should be how browsing your media in 7MC should be like by default.

+billion

/Thread

Instal Windows 7

thanks
I just installed Windows 7 and MPC-HC with Haali, do I need to uninstall MPC-HC?
also, is the 7MC DirectShow changer the same as the MediaBrowser plugin for 7MC?
didn't look at your links yet, gotta get to work, but I will definitely check into it this weekend

thanks again!

edit: one more thing, I have a harmony one, is there a way to get a receiver and use it for my HTPC?

No, you do not need to uninstall MPC-HC.

And no, the DirectShow changer has nothing to do with MediaBrowser.

The changer is just a small utility that allows you to tell 7MC what filter to use to decode certain types of video. You are going to make it look like this:
h6w9lw6o5c75u60r4pws.png

MediaBrowser is a plugin for 7MC that you use to view, organize, browse, and play your media. It automatically downloads poster art and meta data. VERY slick software.

No, you do not need to uninstall MPC-HC.

And no, the DirectShow changer has nothing to do with MediaBrowser.

The changer is just a small utility that allows you to tell 7MC what filter to use to decode certain types of video. You are going to make it look like this:
h6w9lw6o5c75u60r4pws.png

MediaBrowser is a plugin for 7MC that you use to view, organize, browse, and play your media. It automatically downloads poster art and meta data. VERY slick software.

thanks so much
any idea about using the harmony one to control the HTPC?

To be honest, no, I don't. Make a thread about it in the HTPC section, i'm sure someone else will be able to help. Title it something like "7MC + Harmony One".

Good luck.

i just installed win7 x64 ultimate, mpchc, and haali. Almost everything i have will play perfectly, but i am having an issue with two .ts files that are 1080p. When i open the files in mpchc, the video stays on the first frame, but the audio goes on normally. If i seek anywhere in the video, the audio and video sync up fine and the video plays normally. Any ideas?

Download and install MediaInfo and use it to give us a readout of that file.

General
ID : 1
Complete name : F:\Torrents\clips\Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell - Drop It Like It's Hot (DD5.1-MHD-1440x1080i-H264-AmazonBoy).ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 154 MiB
Duration : 4mn 22s
Overall bit rate : 4 914 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Bit rate : 4 189 Kbps
Width : 1 440 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.090
Stream size : 131 MiB (85%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Video delay : 86ms
Stream size : 12.0 MiB (8%)

Yea, there is something about H264 transport streams, some just don't like to cooperate with MPC-HC's H264 filter, especially when using DXVA.

Most likely not. I have never had luck with H264 transport streams and GPU acceleration of any kind. Only VLC seemed to play them.

newest version of MPCHC is out and on it's home page.

MPCHC ver 1.3.1249

for the life of me i couldn't get a certain series of h.264 shows to play properly. intolerable skipping/cracking sounds with the audio. that was just in using the prog without installing it. installed it and prob was fixed. didn't seem to have this problem before.

what would have caused this issue?

lol?

at the time of this post it WAS the newest release and it still is until ur friends get their page working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back