CBS Offers "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 2 Premiere for Free on YouTube

While Moore is right on a lot regarding Voyager I find it greatly ironic because he and his crew blew BSG up in the long term by clearly not having a coherent storyline planned out. That show went to hell by season 3 and became preachy on some politics but even more so just a boring, "who is a cylon this week" story.

Battlestar Galactica was a snooze fest from day one. It was slow, badly paced and the Cylon of the week BS started way before Season 3.

Wouldn't watch the CBS junk even if it was free, and this is coming from a dedicated trekie who has DVD's of all the movies and older series.

I feel the same. I watched like the first three episodes of the show where the asian captain and the black girl were bickering. It was so cringe-worthy. Mainstreaming a show always leads to garbage. And I was dying for a new Star Trek series, what a huge let-down.

this isnt star trek, its cbs discovery.. some random scifi show they made up and slapped the star trek name on it.

so far its only pissed off the fans, destroyed the entire star trek timeline and has garned a deep hate of alex kurtzman

hopefully this will be the last season of this garbage.

on a high note, if you would like to watch both seasons 1 and 2 of star trek orville you can here on fox !

https://www.fox.com/the-orville/

I feel the same. I watched like the first three episodes of the show where the asian captain and the black girl were bickering. It was so cringe-worthy. Mainstreaming a show always leads to garbage. And I was dying for a new Star Trek series, what a huge let-down.

yeah sadly i grinded through the first season hoping it would eventually get better and it didn't.. then tried the first episode of season 2 and that shit was about as cringe worthy as it gets with them trying to come up with some bullshit backstory between Spock and Michael. that being said if they just outright removed Michael from the series i think it could of actually been good. the character it's self doesn't make sense in the show.

What really disappoints me about all this, is the spare time and effort people have to waste complaining about a fantasy TV show.

Have a long hard think about that. Maybe find something better to vent that effort on?

I’m calling a spade a spade. Discovery haters were singing Orville praises because discovery had a black women named Michael and there were a couple of gay guys and they kissed ( don’t worry you won’t catch gay) but after the Orville episode with Bortis and his addiction to hologram sex with other males (his species is all males) they don’t know what to do.
LOL, projection much? You're the one confused why people who hate STD don't dislike the orville for portraying a gay couple. Perhaps, just perhaps, those people aren't the homophobic sexist racists after all? But to admit that would make your entire world view fall apart, won't it?

What really disappoints me about all this, is the spare time and effort people have to waste complaining about a fantasy TV show.

Have a long hard think about that. Maybe find something better to vent that effort on?

Oh please with the holier than thou attitude. I'm sure you are too busy getting blow jobs from supermodels 24/7 to ever watch or care about a TV show.

Yeah, how does it disappoint you? Of course complaining about other people complaining is the real meaning of life!

Yeah, how does it disappoint you? Of course complaining about other people complaining is the real meaning of life!

lol. Complaining about people commenting on the quality of a TV show is a higher plane of existence!

LOL, projection much? You're the one confused why people who hate STD don't dislike the orville for portraying a gay couple. Perhaps, just perhaps, those people aren't the homophobic sexist racists after all? But to admit that would make your entire world view fall apart, won't it?
Entire world view? What the actual ...

Or... people just think they're shitty characters with shitty writing maybe? It's not like the show has never had a female lead, or a black lead, but nope it's a black female lead that must have been the last straw! Couldn't possibly be ANYTHING else that people have actually complained about, definitely not, just the fact that the combination of black and female is the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

How much do you hate yourself and the world that you need to pretend that everyone is a racist when you wake up in the morning?

Sorry bub I don't hate myself nor do I believe that everyone is a racist. You can go ahead and pretend that a large number of discovery haters do not hate discovery because it has a black female lead, with a male name, and two gay characters ... but that doesn't make it true. This forum is particularly amusing for how often posters claim the SJW sky is falling. The Witcher Ciri casting, The Kathleen Kennedy "the force is female" nonsense ... which were both proven to be complete overreactions.

Last edited:

i dont need a long hard think about it because it would be a disappointing waste of time and effort.

its their time, its their effort and you are not the supreme glorious leader. i think we're done here with that entire line of thinking.

You could argue that Star Trek has always been very liberal and very progressive. What it also had before was subtlety. Something the current writing staff wouldn't know anything about. There is a difference between equality and propping up one group at another's expense. Most current "woke" media is the latter. They don't care about equality and they only cast for diversity based on a quota rather than acting ability. See Doctor Who's latest series for an example of this. Star Trek isn't nearly that bad

This statement sums it up for me quite nicely. Someone mentioned that Orville features progressive subject matter as well. No one has complained about progressive subject matter! The difference is Orville doesn't marginalize a specific demographic in its presentation. I can't really comment on STD but Doctor Who season 11 is certainly guilty of this.

Why use words when you say nothing at all?

The question is not whether 95% or 96% of your world view hinges on the notion that people who dislike shows with gay/trans/female/black etc characters do so because they are homophobes/transphobes/misogynists/racists.

You're hanging up on the wrong part, having that view at all is beyond reason.

Sorry bub I don't hate myself nor do I believe that everyone is a racist. You can go ahead and pretend that a large number of discovery haters do not hate discovery because it has a black female lead, with a male name, and two gay characters ... but that doesn't make it true. This forum is particularly amusing for how often posters claim the SJW sky is falling. The Witcher Ciri casting, The Kathleen Kennedy "the force is female" nonsense ... which were both proven to be complete overreactions.

It's seriously amusing, because for this to make any bit of sense, you'd have to believe that not just the population in general is a bunch of racist and misogynist homophobes, but that the bulk of star trek fans are racist and misogynist homophobes. It's seriously amazing just how ridiculous that notion is, yet apparently it's what you believe for some insane reason yet try to pretend that isn't the case.

The fact that you're even bringing up Kathleen Kennedy and her "force is female" crap... when they've got movies that bomb from a franchise that should be a money printing machine while the same company owns Marvel and can release 3 MCU blockbusters a year without the fanbase getting so butthurt that the movies end up losing money. But no, it can't be the same things people are complaining about... shitty writing, mediocre acting, and so on... definitely has to be all of these closet ST and SW fans who have been hiding their klan robes all throughout the 80s till now.

I wanted to like the show but... for me they screwed up too many things, that can't be fixed (at least I doubt it could be). The plot was pretty meh in the second half. The Lorca story at the beginning, him kind of skirting the rules in order to help win the war, was pretty good. Then they messed it up with parallel universe/him being the bad guy stuff. The first season would have been much better if it was just focused on Lorca and the war with the klingons (and just leaving out the lame parallel universe stuff completely).

Oh speaking of which, I cannot stand at all. This is the part where I don't think they can fix. They don't look like klingons, they don't sound like them, they don't act like them, their uniforms and ships are nothing like what people have seen in.. oh.. almost 30(?) years. I have no idea why they changed all that, just for the sake of change. It was not a change for the better, they could have literally called them anything else besides klingons and it would not have mattered. I still would have disliked them, but there is now the added dislike due to them throwing out all the decades of material built up from previous shows

Don't really like this show as it is. Plus paying to watch one single show is BS..

You can go ahead and pretend that a large number of discovery haters do not hate discovery because it has a black female lead, with a male name, and two gay characters ... but that doesn't make it true.

You saying that everyone who hates the show is racist, sexist and homophobic doesn't make it true either. Nonsense repeated is still nonsense. You have absolutely no way to prove your claim. Your myopic viewpoint on this is akin to believing the Earth is flat. You refuse to acknowledge anything that challenges your perceptions on this issue. Your "truth" comes from a place of ignorance and its just sad.

Yeah what the actual...

Your points are pretty far fetched. You have zero proof to back it up, and there is far more proof that your perceptions are way off. Discovery is hated for how it blatantly destroyed a lot of ST lore and how bad the writing and acting is. Comparing Discovery to Orville is also laughable. It is two different shows with different purposes. Discovery attempts to be serious and in the ST Universe while crapping all over ST lore and terrible writing/acting. While Orville just tries to be a fun satire of ST. Orville is mainly a comedy. People aren't celebrating one over the other because of SJW issues, they just enjoy the one while the other is crap.

As for Kathleen Kennedy, she has already proven she can take a money making franchise and completely destroy it with terrible plots, terrible writing, bad acting, no real direction, etc. It is like the original trilogy was great, but it at least had charm. Kennedy took all the charm out of SW. She literally made die hard fans hate it. This is exactly what they are doing with Discovery too. They are literally making die hard ST fans hate it. The whole SJW thing is just a red herring to pin blame on, nothing more.

Ya it’s totally logical that the Klingons in Discovery are meant to be Trump supporters lol ... but it’s entirely illogical that a large portion of discovery haters hate the show because there is a black female lead with a males name and two characters are gay and kissed.

Members of the staff making the show said the former is my understanding, or at least they used similar messaging on purpose. The latter is you imposing your beliefs onto others without supporting fact. Can you not see the difference?

I think were having Ghosterbusters moment again and its bullshit. This isnt about minorities or sexism or any of that crap. star trek has always had strong female protagonists often center stage like kera, janeway and toras. The problem with this new show is many fold. They decided to have a central character which a huge mistake. Yes star trek has a captain but its an ensamble cast often the captain wont even appear or have a small role. They hung the whole show on a moronic self-involved princess who thoroughly sucks. So if youre not passionately into her and her stupid crisis theres nothing else to see. when the fuck are we gonna learn more about the robot chick? The show also spends almost no time on exploration or intrigue it should just be called "Star Trek: michael bay edition!"

Its a shame because the ships drive thing is pretty neat. I think the show is simply suffering from producers who dont like star trek at all and just want to be making star wars knock offs. I like a lot if the character designs, I like the gay couple and the big alien guy, but I do not care about this stupid ass war or the mirror universe crap. get rid of this spocks sister whatever tart and get back to exploring, yew cunts.
tenor.gif

It's more a tribute than satire. And comedy is minimal in it.

Now Star Wreck, that's satire.

First off, it is definitely comedy. MacFarlane himself describes it as a sitcom. It is also very definitely satire. They are making fun of social situations and beliefs. I mean come on, they had a whole episode making fun of social scores, like what China is doing. They had an episode about an annual peeing ceremony. The show consistently makes fun of various conventions in society. It is also a drama? Yes. But it is very definitely a comedy and comedy is a large part of the show.

It is also why the Orville is well liked by fans, because it isn't trying to be ST, it isn't trying to be a serious drama with deep questions about society. It is supposed to be a sitcom, with funny anecdotes pointing some fun about societal issues, while still trying to break through them.

Discovery on the other hand tries to be a serious show that breaks through societal barriers, but at the same time it is doing it by destroying the foundation that came before it.

Maybe they aren’t, maybe they are.

You know I went back and looked at the STD threads and you were the first person to comment on the thread about the show returning for season 2. Funny you didn’t mention anything about bad writing, bad acting, ignoring lore ... in fact your one and only criticism (your entire post) was:

They should've figured out by now that social justice doesn't sell. But of course they'll blame it on the fans being racist and / or sexist.

Who is projecting again? My entire world view is falling apart.

Last edited:
That moment when you 1st read it as sexually transmitted disease......lol

I get enough of that crap in real life.

I refuse to believe that someone didn't intentionally set that (STD) up as a secret form of protest when this shit was first announced.

Too true. He(Seth) has actually come out stating such on multiple occasions. Fox is really going out its way to market it like that.

Giving it that old Firefly treatment. :(

Yeaah, .. no one can carry a conversation when that happens.

Pretty much a form of Heckler's Veto. It's intentional.

I don't know about everyone else, but I grew to hate Wesley Crusher. Didn't matter what it was, homeboy always had some sort of Deus Ex Wesley hidden up his butt to save everyone from a lazy writer. Discovery feels like someone decided to give Wesley his own show, so we can experience the burning sensation for an entire episode every week. I mean, I legit can't name any of the other bridge crew, other than skrillix undercut chick with the implants, random robot girl, dude in the back, other dude that keeps MB's console warm, and Saru, who remember because he gets a bunch of little mini head boners when he thinks he's going to die.
The biggest crime is, as has been mentioned before, no one wants to go forward with anything. Instead, just sit around and try to "revision" things that already exist. And it's going to same way everything else that's gotten this treatment's gone, not well. If they want to succeed, they need to stop coveting what someone else has already accomplished and boldly go where no one has gone before. That sounds familiar for some reason.

You know I went back and looked at the STD threads and you were the first person to comment on the thread about the show returning for season 2. Funny you didn’t mention anything about bad writing, bad acting, ignoring lore ... in fact your one and only criticism (your entire post) was:

What is your point? SJWs write bad stories, I found out the hard way when reading ME: Uprising. Wouldn't it be convenient, if you could dismiss any criticism against SJW products by calling the critics racist?
Oh wait, you're already doing that, in fact that is the only argument you made, that those who critique STD are racist and/or homophobic and/or sexist. While trying to claim that those people got confused when the orville showed a same sex couple. Projecting your own confusion caused by the lack of mass outrage from toxic trekkies against the orville for that.

It doesn't get more clear than that. And that you're still insisting otherwise is both baffling and sad.

Make no mistake, the writing of STD is mostly bad because they're trying to incorporate social justice ideals in it. But social justice is inherently incompatible with scifi, you know it's in the name: Science.
Whereas social justice actively dismisses science and reason in favor of what "feels right".
Not that any other genre would be better for it, but it's especially bad with sci-fi.

Last edited:

No, by in large people who dislike Discovery are not sexist or racist. I can go point by point about what's wrong with the show if you'd like. I'd have done that already, but it seems like a waste of time as I doubt you'd get it and you'd still call me a racist or a sexist. Of course no one I know would describe me in those terms but you keep right on telling people that that's what they must be if they disagree with your opinions about Star Trek Discovery. If you like it, that's great. However, people can dislike it for a myriad of reasons which do not have to be limited to sexism or racism. The show isn't good enough to stand up to scrutiny on a variety of levels. There are plenty of reasons the show fails with long time fans of the series. BTW, Star Trek fans are far from racist or sexist. TNG and its successor shows are rather progressive and if we were sexist or racist, we wouldn't have been watching those shows either.

Its interesting that you don't see the problem. The example I gave between how the Orville or classic Star Trek handles situations vs. STD was pretty clear. Classic Star Trek handled social commentary with finesse and subtlety without bias. I highlighted the part you can't seem to grasp. It left the viewer to form their own opinions rather than ramming the bias of the writers and producers down everyone's throat and then crying about how everyone has to be a racist or sexist to disagree with their position. The Orville does the same thing. The difference is that classic Star Trek was always about equality, not elevating one group at the expense of another. I don't mind transgender or homosexual characters as long as they are good characters. I don't mind female leads, or black female leads. I couldn't care less as long as the story is good, the actor or actress does a good job and the show or film is entertaining. Again, us straight, white men have accepted strong female characters since the 1970's. Before a lot of these self-proclaimed "SJW's" were even born. Ellen Ripley, Wonder Woman, Sarah Connor, Princess Leia, Mon Mothma, and the list goes on and on.

There is another way to illustrate the difference between Classic Star Trek and STD. Those of you who have seen Arrow and Supergirl up through the last couple of seasons should understand this. In an episode of Arrow, they tackle the issue of mass shooters and gun control head on. Typically, this sort of thing always has a liberal slant to it. Much to my surprise both sides of the gun control debate were presented fairly in the episode. The episode itself doesn't let you know which way the writers lean on the issue. The very same topic of gun control and mass shootings comes up in the second to last episode of last season in Supergirl. However, this episode has a clear anti-gun and anti-2nd Amendment bias to it. It rams this opinion down your throat. It can be frustrating to watch when a show evangelizes beliefs you don't share. Its like your wife telling you that your car or truck has to go and changing it out for a Prius without even asking your opinion on the subject, or listening to any of your reasons against doing so. You have no say, you have no voice. In this case, the show becomes polarizing and drives part of its audience away.

TV shows and films are products. Those products have a core fan base. Its never a good business model to drive some of your most loyal customers away with unpopular products or decisions. Producers who verbally attack fans based on criticism without hearing what the real criticisms are is akin to going into a burger place and ordering a bacon cheeseburger and getting told, "fuck you. You will have a chicken sandwich. If you don't want a chicken sandwich in this burger place, the only reason must be, that you hate chicken." You might not hate chicken, but walked into a burger place for a burger and the burger place simply refuses to sell you a burger and says; "you'll have the chicken." Not wanting a chicken sandwich at the time you went out for a burger doesn't mean you hate chicken sandwiches or chicken. All it means is, you wanted and expected to order a burger when you walked into a burger place. In this case, subverting your expectations isn't a good thing.

Similarly, I watch a show with "Star Trek" in the name for a show that has good visual effects, and cerebral stories with dramatic elements. I do not turn on a show like Star Trek to see something produced by a guy who helped write the 2007 Michael Bay Transformers movie and its sequels. (This is what you get as Alex Kurtzman is now in charge of the show.) A film which despite the name and some visual similarities is in no way anything like the Transformers I knew growing up. In the same way, STD uses a product name that I've known and have been consuming all my life and then serves me something that isn't anything like Star Trek at all. I don't like STD because its nothing like Star Trek. Race or gender of its main character or characters isn't even on my radar when looking at the show. There are tons of Star Trek Voyager fans in this thread. The Captain in that show was a female. Hell, many of its most popular characters were women. Where the fuck do you get this sexism shit from?

In fact, I watched the season 2 premiere on Youtube last night because it was free. At no point did I ever think, "this show would be better if Michael Burnham was a white man." I never once thought; "so many of these characters would be better if they were men." My issues with that episode couldn't have been fixed by those changes even if I wanted them or supported that type of thinking in any way.

There's a reason why STD is on CBS All Access...…..it would already be off the air on normal CBS OTA. I watched the Season 2 episode (first episode I've seen) and it wasn't very good. I fast forwarded through a bunch of it because I couldn't stand the acting and the story was terrible.

Just another garbage sci-fi show as far as I'm concerned. So sad to see a once proud franchise weakened like this.

I watched the entire episode. The bastardization of the Spock character is STD's most egregious offense yet. One of STD's largest problems is it lacks credibility. Its the same problem that Star Trek Voyager had when it fired its technical consultants. Once the basis in current scientific theory and fact when out the window, the show's writing declined harshly. That's how we ended up with the Warp 10 episodes. "Threshold" is what I believe that one was called. Its quite possibly the single worst episode of Star Trek ever created. In this shit sandwich, the Warp 10 threshold is reached by a shuttle that can only hit warp 2, even though it would take nearly infinite power to achieve this speed according to the show. Then, two characters "evolve" into salamanders and have sex. Its fucking terrible as it defies so much of the franchises lore, internal consistency and what we commonly know about modern science. Discovery hasn't yet hit that territory, but they are trying.

In this case, "credibility" means being believable. Or being plausible enough to suspend disbelief while watching something that's obvious fiction. Classic Star Trek does this in two ways. 1.) It has an internal consistency. 2.) It was grounded by modern scientific theories. The first thing is actually the most important aspect of making the show believable. Its obvious fiction, but it has to establish its own lore and its own rules to follow. As long as its consistent within those rules, it can usually work. The second, is something that helped further ground Star Trek and make it sound more plausible. This step isn't necessary as many franchises don't do this. Doctor Who and Star Wars are great examples of franchises that do not take this step. At least not generally. Yet, at their worst, both these franchises had installments which break suspension of disbelief by violating what the average person knows about the sciences. We have Doctor Who's series 9 episode "Kill the Moon" which is the single worst episode of the shows 55 year history. In this episode, the moon is an egg. It has "single cell organisms" which are actually complex organisms (giant spiders) which act like an immune system for the outside of the egg. Sadly, I'm not making this shit up. The egg hatches and before the winged space dragon leaves, it shits out another egg identical to the moon.

For Star Wars, we need look no further than the Last Jedi. Other bullshit aside, the movie garners harsh criticism for its space pursuit scene where ships that run out of fuel start drifting without power for "reasons" and even someone with a third grade education knows this is bullshit. An object in motion stays in motion and all of that. They can't "stop" the Resistance ship but they can fly a couple of TIE fighters up to the front and blow up its bridge. Wut? Of course we have the hyperspace collision scene which creates a problem of being so easy to do that it would have diminished the threat of the Empire's Star Destroyers and even the Death Star itself. Again, this violates both internal consistency and grounded science which is common knowledge.

One thing Discovery does in its Season 2 Premiere is to have characters fly into this disintegrating planetary body as it falls towards a pulsar, which is crushing everything to rescue people that might be on a crashed Starship. OK, that's fine. They say they can't take a shuttle craft for some contrived reason and instead take these stupid pods which have glass domes on the front of them. This doesn't make any sense and as you can imagine, this glass breaks and causes problems for the crew on this mission. They couldn't beam to the ship because they said the transporter beam would get scattered / refracted by the debris. On this ship, they meet another Mary Sue character who is an engineer that's doing heart transplants and brain surgery. When questioned about this her answer is: "Bodies are machines and I read allot." So evidently, you can take an engineering course and all that pesky medical training is no longer necessary. This engineer who is so smart she can figure out complex medical procedures on no fewer than four different alien species then gets shamed by Michael Burnham who can all of the sudden make the derelict ships transporters work after about ten minutes of being on site.

Again, when your show has writing like this you don't need racism or sexism to justify how bad it is. Visually, its probably one of the most exciting and spectacularly done episodes of television ever made up to this point. Its good enough on that front to have been shown in theaters as a feature film. Story wise, there is so much wrong with this episode its mind boggling. And of course, in keeping with STD's short tradition, every man is inferior to Michael Burnham. They are once again portrayed as spineless or totally incompetent. Even Captain Pike gets lectured by the great Michael Burnham in another insubordinate act that only she can get away with. The most realistic and relatable female character is ensign Tilly. She seems more genuine than most of the characters with self-doubt and other problems. However, the character has zero leadership skills and wouldn't cut it in the command training program which she is in and reminds us of this on no less than two separate occasions in this one episode. I hated this character at first but grew to like her somewhat. Unfortunately, she isn't being treated or handled as she should be.

Oh, BTW, spoiler alert.

Hipster Spock is portrayed now as a potential serial killer and sociopath who had a sexual relationship with his adopted sister. Don't believe me? Watch this episode and the preview for the rest of the season where he plays tonsil hockey with Michael Burnham.

Furthering my point regarding credibility again comes down to a lack of internal consistency. Specifically its use of existing characters and inconsistency with established behaviors for those characters. This is another installment in a well established franchise that's existed for more than half a century. Spock is one of the most well known and famous characters of that franchise. Rather than building upon the character and exploring it in new and dramatic ways, they've torn him down and remade him into something that's unrecognizable and most importantly, inconsistent with the franchise's history. When long time fans of the series see things like this they tend to react with revulsion. They don't want to accept the changes. As I've said, there are certain changes which are fine and acceptable given modernization. We wouldn't expect women to be featured the same way they were in ToS in Discovery. Times have changed, and though ToS was progressive for its day, women were still not featured with the same level of equality that even Gene Roddenberry had originally went for with the show's original pilot episode: "The Cage."

Changing a character to a point making it unrecognizable is a really good way to set fire to a successful franchise. Above all its egregious errors, Star Wars: The Last Jedi gets the most flak for its treatment of Luke Skywalker. The primary criticism being that the character is unrecognizable and there is no justification for it. Spock hasn't been made quite that unrecognizable but the character has been changed in ways that will not prove to be popular. Again, these inconsistencies with established lore are the principal reason why fans reject Star Trek Discovery outright.

Last edited:
/\ I read all of that and think, I shouldn't be surprised my entire generation has been told they are individually special for decades, makes sense that writers of today don't know what a team is and are unable to write for an ensemble cast.

Also, that sounds awful, I am so glad I abandoned ship after episode 3 season 1.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Y

Even if you take every bit of political ideology and perceived SJW agenda pushing off the table, the series still suffers from mediocre to bad writing. It suffers from lack luster principal characters who are badly written. It suffers from too many changes to established Star Trek lore. The show also under utilizes its other characters and doesn't explore or build character relationships. Many of the characters as I've pointed out, wouldn't have even made it through Star Fleet academy. No Starfleet officer, man, woman, machine or other would be so spineless and weak willed as several of the characters shown in Discovery.
In TNG, I think every one of the main characters ended up having to captain the ship at some point, and it was believable that they could step up to the plate. A few times, some of them are even portrayed as being captain for the "night shift" as if it was a normal rotation of duty. You expected all the crewmembers to actually be Star Fleet quality officers.

Also, there's this scene:

Seriously, in the middle of the battle, they take time to show the gay engineer tell his husband that he loves him. Why?? It's the middle of a battle sequence. Again, because they want to emphasize their SJW lesson, actively interrupting the action and the story to do so. This is PREACHY.

I will admit, that is the most I have ever seen of STD, and this scene is just atrocious. The "I love you" part was silly, but not that bad, however the scene itself is awful. The sound effects were horrible. The action of the "spore drive" was comedic, and the captain getting out of his chair, putting in eye drops, (now he's really serious!) and "fire" - just over the top. Then there was the Klingons - horrible depiction of them that has no resemblance of Klingons in any other Star Trek show. Based on this clip alone (having nothing to do with purported SJW) stuff, I am turned off from the entire series.

In TNG, I think every one of the main characters ended up having to captain the ship at some point, and it was believable that they could step up to the plate. A few times, some of them are even portrayed as being captain for the "night shift" as if it was a normal rotation of duty. You expected all the crewmembers to actually be Star Fleet quality officers.

I will admit, that is the most I have ever seen of STD, and this scene is just atrocious. The "I love you" part was silly, but not that bad, however the scene itself is awful. The sound effects were horrible. The action of the "spore drive" was comedic, and the captain getting out of his chair, putting in eye drops, (now he's really serious!) and "fire" - just over the top. Then there was the Klingons - horrible depiction of them that has no resemblance of Klingons in any other Star Trek show. Based on this clip alone (having nothing to do with purported SJW) stuff, I am turned off from the entire series.

Its basically "The Michael barnum show" which a shame because as others mentions tilly and some of the other characters deserve more spotlight. Its so bad I think theres a least two bridge crewmen we havent even been introduced to yet. The show pretty much lost me at this episode towards the end of the first season that I wann say is a time travel episode where MB and the meathead behind her in the clip fall in love over and over. I cant talk myself into watching anymore. Ill wait til the season is over and see if the reviews note any changes. Im not hopeful.

Ive never really watched Star Trek: Enterprise but I started watching it over the last couple days and even though its considered rough by Star Trek Standards its still a vast improvement over Discovery. Its at least "Interesting".

What SJW agenda? Having a couple gay guys in the show is now an agenda?

A woman's clitoris has 8000 distinct nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as a regressionist's feelings.

I didn't enjoy the first season that much, but that's because I felt like it lurched along under its own weight. I like looking for forced messaging and social undercurrents as a way to measure the quality of the writers; the writing on the Orville is much more overt in its advancement of progressive ideology.

I think some people just enjoy finding things to be sour about. Look at the news channels they likely watch - have you ever seen any of the talking heads happy about something besides someone else's misery?

Everything else aside, the political hand wringing, my side your side bullshit both in this thread and the broader 'net', the ship is teleportation around like it has warp drive tourettes, I've seen enough this is not Star Trek. :banghead::facepalm:

A woman's clitoris has 8000 distinct nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as a regressionist's feelings.

I didn't enjoy the first season that much, but that's because I felt like it lurched along under its own weight. I like looking for forced messaging and social undercurrents as a way to measure the quality of the writers; the writing on the Orville is much more overt in its advancement of progressive ideology.

I think some people just enjoy finding things to be sour about. Look at the news channels they likely watch - have you ever seen any of the talking heads happy about something besides someone else's misery?

I agree, many of the ideas here claiming the show is SJW simply don't pan out. I went ahead and purchased CBS all access to support the show.

Reactions: AshG
like this
Sorry if I don't give a flying flip about the "professional opinions" of the same groups that tried to convince us that Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't a feminist dumpsterfire. Sorry I'll pass on anything the "Woke" media has to say. You can keep your agenda pushing nonsense to yourself. Quality of the series aside, Janeway was and will always be a better written captain than STD's captain ever will and for the very simple reasons outlined by Dan_D. The writing of that character is the problem with the series as a whole as it is more interested in being "woke" than it is in being star trek. Sorry but you can keep that preachy shit to yourself.

At least I can actually get independent support for my POV. But I'll et you get back to your ministry Father.

Seriously, in the middle of the battle, they take time to show the gay engineer tell his husband that he loves him. Why?? It's the middle of a battle sequence. Again, because they want to emphasize their SJW lesson, actively interrupting the action and the story to do so. This is PREACHY.

As I recall, it was expected he would not live through those jumps (or his brain damaged in some way), It's been a year since I saw it, so I don't recall, but if that was a guy saying that to his wife standing right there, nobody would say a thing.

As I recall, it was expected he would not live through those jumps (or his brain damaged in some way), It's been a year since I saw it, so I don't recall, but if that was a guy saying that to his wife standing right there, nobody would say a thing.

True, but there would probably be tons of eyes rolling. Same basic effect. At least with that version, it wouldn't be making a political statement.

At least I can actually get independent support for my POV. But I'll et you get back to your ministry Father.

I can quote plenty of sources as well. I'm just not bothering as you clearly wouldn't listen anyhow. Because of you would, you already would have read non biased sources and wouldn't be trying to quote known biased garbage to begin with.

Back