CBS Makes Star Trek: Picard Pilot Free On YouTube 'For a Limited Time'

With any luck they can get James Bond to stop with the womanizing and spycraft. We all need to put aside our boomer tendencies and "Embrace the future".

Well, at least we still have Space Battleship Yamato and that remains unchanged. :) Even the redo of the original show to update the anime did not change the show or the story line and any appreciable way. Seems to me the Japanese folks are far smarter than us Americans when it comes to making a show that lasts and not to mess with a good thing. :)

You're certainly 'allowed' to dislike Picard and remain a fan of the overall franchise (not that you need my approval by any means). I'm more concerned about the people who say you can't be a real fan if you enjoy it in any way.
I'm a big fan of football. I would still enjoy it if it was played without a ball, in water, and not by more than two players, 1 vs 1. I'm a real football fan, though.

Heh. Uh, don't go looking for the live-action remake they did a couple years ago. They went kind of grimdark.

Nah, I have the live action one and although the story line was somewhat adjusted, the premise and foundation remained the same. :) They really did not change anything appreciably and it was a movie and no way there were going to fit 26 episodes into a 1.5 or so hour film. :) The only thing is, Yamato was destroyed but, I got over it, since the Live Action part was incredible. :)

The version I saw on YT was pretty blurry and the audio cut out near the end, but it seemed like the stuff on Earth was grimmer, and a lot of introspective "is Humanity even worth saving" internal monologue, but maybe I am remembering it wrong. I'll admit I only ever saw Star Blazers as a kid and never saw the original.

The version I saw on YT was pretty blurry and the audio cut out near the end, but it seemed like the stuff on Earth was grimmer, and a lot of introspective "is Humanity even worth saving" internal monologue, but maybe I am remembering it wrong. I'll admit I only ever saw Star Blazers as a kid and never saw the original.

Oh, it was grim but, not in the is humanity worth saving part. After all, for those who were left, there was no hope and the humans were going to be extinct in about one earth year.

Eh, I'm hesitant to rush to call it the worst ever. It might be, but I also can't help but think that Enterprise was 'worse' in that it was ultimately forgettable for many. At least Picard is getting people to sit up and react.

You're certainly 'allowed' to dislike Picard and remain a fan of the overall franchise (not that you need my approval by any means). I'm more concerned about the people who say you can't be a real fan if you enjoy it in any way.

The Enterprise intro song was definitely the worst of them all haha
I think they cancelled it before it had a chance to really find it's identity, but I can't remember any memorable moments from it.

For me I could not stand Voyager it just didn't click with me. To this day I still believe they introduced 7 of 9 as nothing but eye candy to reel in depraved nerds to boost viewership.

STD is... has some good and bad. I don't like how this is suppose to take place before the original Star Trek, but they have technology far beyond arguably even the Voyager series. The writing was weak, but I thoguht Lorca was a strong character (or at least a good actor). I think they should have made all of s1 about Lorca, cut out the lame bad guy from another dimension plot twist, and just focused on him trying to do whatever it took to with against the Klingons while maybe doing things that starfleet didn't necessarily agree with. That to me would have made things more interesting vs the second half with the mirror universe stuff.

STD is... has some good and bad. I don't like how this is suppose to take place before the original Star Trek, but they have technology far beyond arguably even the Voyager series. The writing was weak, but I thoguht Lorca was a strong character (or at least a good actor). I think they should have made all of s1 about Lorca, cut out the lame bad guy from another dimension plot twist, and just focused on him trying to do whatever it took to with against the Klingons while maybe doing things that starfleet didn't necessarily agree with. That to me would have made things more interesting vs the second half with the mirror universe stuff.

One of the things that annoyed me most about S1 was how they handled Lorca--the first 2/3 of the season or so had a lot of just what you described...and then the instant it was revealed he was actually the mirror Lorca, his character turned on a dime into the worst bad movie villain obnoxious bigot and I think his IQ dropped twenty points so they could beat us over the head with HOW HORRIBLE THE MIRROR UNIVERSE IS. It just felt juvenile to me, and not particularly believeable, as if he said "phew! I can finally stop using my brain!"

I recently watched the DS9 documentary, "what we left behind" and it was remarkable how similar to the complaints about current Trek shows are to those written about DS9. The more things change....

I recently watched the DS9 documentary, "what we left behind" and it was remarkable how similar to the complaints about current Trek shows are to those written about DS9. The more things change....

DS9 did not change the way things were done, however, nor did it make the Federation into some Klingon Empire wannabes.

DS9 did not change the way things were done, however, nor did it make the Federation into some Klingon Empire wannabes.
Watch the documentary. It's the same kind of whining that I see on this board every time Trek comes up. It's the best trek and Trek fans fucking hated it.

You also don't understand anything at all about Star Trek because the Federation was the point of Star Trek.

That's not the point of Star Trek. Star Trek is about the human connections and bringing people together. The federation at times represented that, and at other times it didn't (look at all the times Picard had to argue for doing good against an Admiral in TNG). Star Trek can do connections pieces without the Federation. Picard wasn't the best work for this, but I digress.

That's not the point of Star Trek. Star Trek is about the human connections and bringing people together. The federation at times represented that, and at other times it didn't (look at all the times Picard had to argue for doing good against an Admiral in TNG). Star Trek can do connections pieces without the Federation. Picard wasn't the best work for this, but I digress.

You're missing the point. The Federation isn't perfect and was never intended to be perfect. It was a vehicle to show how the human race could become more than it is and to keep pushing to continue that despite flaws and problems. In fact, you've illustrated the point perfectly. Picard was part of the Federation. In many ways he was often very close to the ideal of the Federation. He would fight those in the Federation who would demean and cheapen it by simply fighting for the ideals the Federation strives for. Simply put it was the Federation policing itself through Picard and others like him to make sure the Federation and humanity didn't backslide.

The problem with no Federation in Star Trek is to ignore what Star Trek was designed from the beginning to be. The Federation is the vehicle for Star Trek and the reason Star Trek is around. To ignore this is to say you don't want Star Trek but something else completely. I absolutely can't stand Voyager. I watched it all the way through once and that was more than enough for me. Yet even that horrid show with all of its problems and being located half a galaxy away from the Federation still continued the traditions of the Federation. They were an example (sometimes a horrible one) of the Federation even though there was no Federation around. The problems with that show were legion but the Federation and Federation ideals were never part of the problem.

Even more telling is Enterprise. Despite predating the Federation, the show still followed the spirit of the Federation to be. That was never a failing of the show.

STD and Picard are a completely different story. They don't have any of the feel of previous Star Trek shows or movies and treat the Federation as more of a guideline to be ignored or in the case of Picard, completely change the Federation so it's no longer recognizable in the first place. Even the reboot action movies have more of a Star Trek feel than STD and Picard and that's saying something.

You're missing the point. The Federation isn't perfect and was never intended to be perfect. It was a vehicle to show how the human race could become more than it is and to keep pushing to continue that despite flaws and problems. In fact, you've illustrated the point perfectly. Picard was part of the Federation. In many ways he was often very close to the ideal of the Federation. He would fight those in the Federation who would demean and cheapen it by simply fighting for the ideals the Federation strives for. Simply put it was the Federation policing itself through Picard and others like him to make sure the Federation and humanity didn't backslide.

The problem with no Federation in Star Trek is to ignore what Star Trek was designed from the beginning to be. The Federation is the vehicle for Star Trek and the reason Star Trek is around. To ignore this is to say you don't want Star Trek but something else completely. I absolutely can't stand Voyager. I watched it all the way through once and that was more than enough for me. Yet even that horrid show with all of its problems and being located half a galaxy away from the Federation still continued the traditions of the Federation. They were an example (sometimes a horrible one) of the Federation even though there was no Federation around. The problems with that show were legion but the Federation and Federation ideals were never part of the problem.

Even more telling is Enterprise. Despite predating the Federation, the show still followed the spirit of the Federation to be. That was never a failing of the show.

STD and Picard are a completely different story. They don't have any of the feel of previous Star Trek shows or movies and treat the Federation as more of a guideline to be ignored or in the case of Picard, completely change the Federation so it's no longer recognizable in the first place. Even the reboot action movies have more of a Star Trek feel than STD and Picard and that's saying something.
Enterprise was set up to revolve around that, so it makes sense why.

Just an FYI, but the Federation wasn't mentioned until the 21st episode of the first season of TOS. You can have Star Trek stories without the Federation. As long as they are telling about the human spirit, and moving forward towards a better society, THAT'S Star Trek.

Picard kind of misses most of that, but it does a much better job off fitting into what Star Trek is than DISCO. The freedom of a people (the Synths), and the recovery of Borg had a very Star Trek feel.

I quite liked the first season of Picard. It had some weak plot at the end of the season and some cheese in the middle, but it felt way more like Star Trek than Discovery.

Back