CBS Makes Star Trek: Picard Pilot Free On YouTube 'For a Limited Time'

Holy shit the writing is bad in episode 9. An evil twin? really?

I really liked the part about how they needed to warn them asap of the attack yet stay in a group, go in the opposite direction to check out the borg cube:ROFLMAO:

So Dr. Soong magically had a son nobody knew about and Soji has an evil twin that hates/fears everyone and is homicidal. Hmm where have I seen a story like this? That's right on Enterprise where Brent Spiner essentially played the same character except he was nursing sociopathic genetically altered super humans.

And what's up with these magical orchids that can EMP any ship including a borg cube? And how is an Android pulling off a mind meld? So dumb.

Last edited:
picard just doesnt "feel" like picard in this. ive been rewatching tng next to this and he's just off.

Holy shit the writing is bad in episode 9. An evil twin? really?

Not just the writing. The direction is terrible - acting tone from scene to scene is inconsistent - near high school drama class level. Over the top music to push the drama stone up the hill because the writing was so weak. Editing can't save it either.

Maybe they should have stayed in France. In the vineyards - make the series about sci-fi wine connoisseurs of the 24th century.

So Dr. Soon magically had a son nobody knew about and Soji has an evil twin that hates/fears everyone and is homicidal. Hmm where have I seen a story like this? That's right on Enterprise where Brent Spiner essentially played the same character except he was nursing sociopathic genetically altered super humans.

And what's up with these magical orchids that can EMP any ship including a borg cube? And how is an Android pulling off a mind meld? So dumb.

I've enjoyed a few episodes (1,4,6,7, and 8) but the writing in this last episode was so bad. Dr. Soong having a son was awful, especially the fact that he appears more talented than his father ever was if he created more androids. Also, I don't get the yellow faced ones? Those ones should be closer to Data, and not die from something going through their eye. Why make them yellow? I was also predicting the plot as the episode went along. Just disappointing. I'm really only watching it at this point because it's a sequel to TNG, and that was my favorite show as a kid...

I've enjoyed a few episodes (1,4,6,7, and 8) but the writing in this last episode was so bad. Dr. Soong having a son was awful, especially the fact that he appears more talented than his father ever was if he created more androids. Also, I don't get the yellow faced ones? Those ones should be closer to Data, and not die from something going through their eye. Why make them yellow? I was also predicting the plot as the episode went along. Just disappointing. I'm really only watching it at this point because it's a sequel to TNG, and that was my favorite show as a kid...

I agree,the whole thing was awful. The "I love you JL" bit from Raffi seemed so forced and unnecessary as well. This show is just awful but I'll keep watching because there is no other Trek on right now.

I think the show runners need to watch "The Mandalorian". It's so much better to tell simple tale well, than to have have a convoluted dumpster fire going on.

With Picard I am often rolling my eyes in disbelief, for fast forwarding past garbage filler. It's not as bad as Discovery, but it's not good.

Ultimately I getting tired of both franchises, and prefer something with a more grounded take on SciFi, like The Expanse, where they don't have Magic Swords, Magical Mind powers, Magical Transporters, Magical replicators, etc... It's just people trying to survive the harshness of space with an extrapolation of technology that is believable.

The worst thing about this is a better writer could've actually told a good version of this story!

I think they should have created an entirely different arc. This story of evil robots is old and tired and bsg already did a great job with it. I hope the next arc isn't about zombies.

I'm a couple episodes behind but if you mean Soji and not someone else, she's organic, remember? Insert handwaving here.

It's sojis evil twin who is clearly an androidish type of synthetic being, closer to a machine than human.

Giving Dr. Soong a human son is the dumbest thing this show has done so far. The entire fucking point of Data's creation (and Lore's... and B4's) was that they were like the children he didn't (or couldn't?) have. But no, he did have a son, he just never talked about him.

Fuck you Alex Kurtzman.

yeah episode 9 was pretty bad. I kept asking myself "wtf am I watching?" it was almost as bad as Wesley Crusher falling in a flowerbed and being sentenced to death or something lol

I really had high hopes for this series, but I'm left disappointed so far. I agree with the others here about the weak plot and unimaginative characters. But another thing that really stands out to me is Picard just seems to be along for the ride, he's contributed next to nothing except being chosen as a safe haven by those original two android chicks.

I really had high hopes for this series, but I'm left disappointed so far. I agree with the others here about the weak plot and unimaginative characters. But another thing that really stands out to me is Picard just seems to be along for the ride, he's contributed next to nothing except being chosen as a safe haven by those original two android chicks.

Yeah, I just couldn't get into this show because it's just "Old man goes for ride in space and does nothing except listen to everyone complain about him." I watched through episode 3 with a friend, and had no desire to watch more.

I kinda understand why Picard didn't keep in touch with these assholes. It's the only part of this story arc that makes sense. :D

They already tackled Data's child in The Offspring, so this is just more of that. Nothing new to see here.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just couldn't get into this show because it's just "Old man goes for ride in space and does nothing except listen to everyone complain about him." I watched through episode 3 with a friend, and had no desire to watch more.

I kinda understand why Picard didn't keep in touch with these assholes. It's the only part of this story arc that makes sense. :D

I've also only seen the first three eps and just kind of stopped. Reading what people are saying here, seems like the right decision. Though, I suppose if MN goes on lockdown or my work shuts down (which will happen if more states keep closing down) I'll get around to catching up on it.

It would appear that most people on this forum hate the show .... but for those who are interested the entire season just became free to non-subscribers (well you still have to sign up .. you just don’t have to pay): Picard Free

I dunno. I like it. It feels more like TOS than TNG, and that's nothing but good as far as I am concerned.

It would appear that most people on this forum hate the show .... but for those who are interested the entire season just became free to non-subscribers (well you still have to sign up .. you just don’t have to pay): Picard Free

So the show is now completely a marketing scheme to get people to sign up for CBS and maybe hopefully pay or forget they signed up and auto-charge keeps going through.

It would appear that most people on this forum hate the show
I only hate because I care. If it was some random netflix sci-fi you wouldn't give a shit. That being said if you have fond memories of the old show I recommend you just watch episode seven. It's a break from the main plot consisting of pure fan service to catch up with old friends.

So the show is now completely a marketing scheme to get people to sign up for CBS and maybe hopefully pay or forget they signed up and auto-charge keeps going through.
lol worked on me with amazon. thankfully my little sis watches crap on it all the time, i dont.

I only hate because I care. If it was some random netflix sci-fi you wouldn't give a shit. That being said if you have fond memories of the old show I recommend you just watch episode seven. It's a break from the main plot consisting of pure fan service to catch up with old friends.
I actually enjoy both Picard and Discovery ... its the numerous other posters who always criticize both and toss around the SJW card.

So Dr. Soong magically had a son nobody knew about and Soji has an evil twin that hates/fears everyone and is homicidal. Hmm where have I seen a story like this? That's right on Enterprise where Brent Spiner essentially played the same character except he was nursing sociopathic genetically altered super humans.

But his genetically engineered children were believable. These androids looked like complete idiots.
The very first thing they showed about them was their happy zen moves haha. And 90% of them seem incapable of thought since all they do is blindly obey the evil twin.

Almost nothing in Picard makes any sense. And I haven't even started talking about the elf boy and the romulan witches. High school drama but in space.

Guess I am old :/

CBS all Access is free for 30 days right now.

It's probably one of those where you have to give them your credit card and you automatically get billed on day 31 though....

It's probably one of those where you have to give them your credit card and you automatically get billed on day 31 though....

Yes and you better believe a lot of people are mad about that--just scroll down and read a few comments.

CBS all Access is free for 30 days right now.

how long is this offer good for?...meaning can I sign up next week using that promo code and still get the free month?

I used a free one month trial of CBS AA back in February and watched both seasons of ST: Discovery...perfect timing as they recently added Dolby Vision support for half of the Season 2 episodes via Apple TV 4K...Picard also has Dolby Vision

how long is this offer good for?...meaning can I sign up next week using that promo code and still get the free month?

I used a free one month trial of CBS AA back in February and watched both seasons of ST: Discovery...perfect timing as they recently added Dolby Vision support for half of the Season 2 episodes via Apple TV 4K...Picard also has Dolby Vision

What is Dolby Vision?

Edit: Looked it up. It's a form of HDR. I'v e never bothered with HDR on anything. Not worth upgrading my TV over before it dies.

Is Dolby Vision only through the AppleTV app?
What is Dolby Vision?

Edit: Looked it up. It's a form of HDR. I'v e never bothered with HDR on anything. Not worth upgrading my TV over before it dies.

HDR is amazing, but probably worth waiting for as TVs with it are only getting better and better as the years go.

Yes...when I used the CBS-AA free trial in February HDR/DV support was limited to Apple TV 4K devices...don't know if that's changed now but I'm guessing it's still only available via Apple...it was 1080p HDR...no 4K DV but it definitely looked better then the standard 1080p SDR version...CBS-AA and Hulu are very slow to support 4K HDR...Netflix and Amazon have had it for years now...even the newer Disney+ and Apple TV+ support it

HDR is amazing, but probably worth waiting for as TVs with it are only getting better and better as the years go.

There is always something new on the horizon. I've found it is rarely worth waiting for the next great thing, because as soon as it is here, there is a next next great thing on the horizon.

That said, I am perfectly happy with the visual quality of my 1080p 65" Panny Plasma. No need to upgrade yet. I'll likely keep this thing until it dies, and only then upgrade. I thought that time had come 6 months to a year ago, but it turns out i was just the power board, and it was easy enough to replace.

I've been thinking what exactly does "Picard" add to this series? They have basically painted him as some mostly clueless avg-joe that needs everything explained to him. If they replaced him with some random person with a different name, the show would be the same. His character doesn't really contribute much, and It just adds a small nostalgic factor based off his name, but that is about it. The writing though... they took a character that was in command of a star ship and now have to spoon feed him what is going on. I think he should have been written better.

I've been thinking what exactly does "Picard" add to this series? They have basically painted him as some mostly clueless avg-joe that needs everything explained to him. If they replaced him with some random person with a different name, the show would be the same. His character doesn't really contribute much, and It just adds a small nostalgic factor based off his name, but that is about it. The writing though... they took a character that was in command of a star ship and now have to spoon feed him what is going on. I think he should have been written better.

It's interesting to me that you see it this way, because that's not how I perceive it at all. MY perception is that Picard is the glue that holds this crew together. None of these people would particularly work well together without the unifying presence and command that he provides. In my opinion, it really shows him off with his skills as a commanding officer. I will admit that there have been several scenes (particularly early on) that poke a hole in the "Picard the Legend" persona, but I like that. Picard is much more relatable as an albeit charismatic man as opposed to being some unapproachable legendary figure. It very much grounds the series and contributes to the more "TOS" feel I get from it.

Like I've said before - I love TOS Star Trek, but I've never really enjoyed TNG. This takes the trappings from TNG and dresses them with a more TOS feel, and I am loving it. But if you were a big fan of TNG, I could see where it might not tickle your fancy. Tonally, they were very different shows.

Yes...when I used the CBS-AA free trial in February HDR/DV support was limited to Apple TV 4K devices...don't know if that's changed now but I'm guessing it's still only available via Apple...it was 1080p HDR...no 4K DV but it definitely looked better then the standard 1080p SDR version...CBS-AA and Hulu are very slow to support 4K HDR...Netflix and Amazon have had it for years now...even the newer Disney+ and Apple TV+ support it
I suspect it's on the latest Shield, but I haven't tried the CBS app since I got it. Kinda want to wait till Discovery and the Good fight are done airing (or within 4 weeks of ending) so I can just binge it all in a single month.

The enjoyed the last episode and the entire season. All the haters can again fuck off. Can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:
Back