Caution: Do NOT buy "Star Ruler" from Greenmangaming!

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Just a word of caution for those who think about buying the game "Star Ruler" from GMG:

The game is horribly out of date, can't be patched via Greenman Gaming, nor can it be patched manually. GMG is aware of this issue, has not reacted to it yet. Support can't help with the issue either, except refund your purchase. The game is not playable in the version that GMG offers.

Just a word of warning not to throw your money away.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, GMG have impressed me enough that they're pretty much my go-to DDL retailer now. Their CS usually seems pretty switched-on, surprised you mention that they're aware of it and doing nothing, are you sure?

Yeah GreenmanGaming sucks. I thought id found an excellent download service that didn't require a client to be running only to find that they mess about with game files so that they wont accept normal patches and fixes. Stay away from Dark Sector from them as well. I bought that game from them and it doesn't run on widescreens and the only fix doesn't apply to the greenman gaming version. They just leave you with a game that doesn't work. If you look through the forums you'll see their support is pretty shoddy.

I've bought a few games from GMG, but I tend to stick to steamworks ones so I don't have to deal with their "capsule" downloader.

Hey all,

The Star Ruler patch is something that myself, in particular, and a couple of others have mentioned (ever more) frequently.

I'm going to be raising this specific title with my Director this afternoon, as it's gone on long enough and doesn't put us in a great light. We'll be able to pin down the problem and ideally come up with a solution (whether this involves a patch or not I'd be unable to say) that helps restore faith to everyone affected.

I apologise for any inconvenience or grievances caused, and hope this has helped to keep you guys in the loop.

-James

I've bought a few games from GMG, but I tend to stick to steamworks ones so I don't have to deal with their "capsule" downloader.

I like GMG, but I also try to stick to Steamworks enabled titles to avoid capsule. The same goes for all of the other sites as well (gamefly, gamersgate, etc).

I like GMG, but I also try to stick to Steamworks enabled titles to avoid capsule. The same goes for all of the other sites as well (gamefly, gamersgate, etc).

Same here. Steam and Origin are plenty DDL services for me.

I prefer it, if anything. It's just a download manager, instead of something I have to keep running like Steam. It's definitely not pretty, but I can't see what complaints besides that there are about it. But I guess I don't have many games in my library so I might be getting lucky.

A download manager ads no value. Stream / origin actually offer you things like a community / chat, and all the other features along with their "download manager"/

A download manager ads no value. Stream / origin actually offer you things like a community / chat, and all the other features along with their "download manager"/

Subjective. I find it intrusive and unnecessary; Xfire, ventrilo, TS, mumble and so on did all the things steam/origin offered years before they did. It's not an "offer" as much as it is a company trying to add incentive/justification to their DRM. I'd say that there's less value in some bloatware running in the background when I want to access my games. But then I'm not one of these gaben-fellating fanturds, so I'm in the minority.

I can understand your point but my point is that a download manager adds no value at all, other than filling your machine with a useless program that does nothing a universal download manager couldnt do, and with how stable the internet is it isnt even needed anymore. At least steam / origin have features to justify their existance. Where as the download manager has is a whole prorgam whos only purpose is to download specific things from a single web site?

I prefer it, if anything. It's just a download manager, instead of something I have to keep running like Steam. It's definitely not pretty, but I can't see what complaints besides that there are about it. But I guess I don't have many games in my library so I might be getting lucky.

Yeah I certainly don't want another Steam or Origin and appreciate a download manager which doesn't need to be running, but I didn't like capsule when I used it. For one it needs many times more the disk space than the actual game you're downloading needs, as it downloads compressed files, needs to uncompress them (which creates temporary files) and then install them. Not a huge issue, but when I got Batman AC it was a pain in the arse because my 60GB SSD drive wasn't big enough to hold the gigantic download AND the gigantic temporary files (despite the fact I told capsule to install to a separate drive).

Also I'm getting increasingly sick of my games being tied to different services, accounts and programs. It was fine when each game was individual and I could look at my shelf and see all my boxes of games, but when things are digital it's nice to have them wrapped up within 1 or 2 programs and 1 or 2 accounts.

I can understand your point but my point is that a download manager adds no value at all, other than filling your machine with a useless program that does nothing a universal download manager couldnt do, and with how stable the internet is it isnt even needed anymore. At least steam / origin have features to justify their existance. Where as the download manager has is a whole prorgam whos only purpose is to download specific things from a single web site?

True, but they're barely intrusive and don't need to remain installed, I guess. The GoG downloader and capsule are always uninstalled the moment my game finishes downloading, since I like keeping a tidy house.

JamesGMG, while i appreciate the effort, it should've been a longer time ago, without the need for people to complain this much.

On a side note, this isn't the only issue with "your" version of games. Take for example "Patricians IV". You can buy the standard game, and now soon the gold version with the expansion included. However, once you own the standard game and only want to buy the expansion, it's impossible. You don't offer the expansion, other means of buying the expansion are not compatible with your "Capsule" version of the game.

Basically, customers are out of luck. Could you comment on those things? Or remedy the situation by offering the expansion seperately? There should be big giant signs on your website that those "Capsule" versions of your games are NOT compatible with any other expansions. Basically, I, as an owner of Patrician IV, am screwed. And since i did not know you won't ever offer the expansion nor that it's incompatible with any other version, i kind of blame Greenmangaming for this. I could not have possibly made any research in that direction because it isn't mentioned anywhere on your page.

Care to elaborate JamesGMG?

Last edited:
I only buy games I can register on Steam from them. If I want a non-drm copy of a game I buy it from Amazon typically.

Back