Catylist 5.8 stabilty issues?

StoneNewt

Limp Gawd
I'm having stability issues with the Cat 5.8 drivers in GTR, Juiced, FEAR demo & UT2003, CS:Condition Zero (the only games installed on that rig) at some random time, anywhere from when the game play starts to 30 min into a game, I've never had a crash after about 30 min if gaming (just luck?), the screen goes blank, the display still detects a VGA signal, it's just black, and the last ~1/2 second of sound gets in a loop. I've been using 5.4 for a long time & 5.6 seem to be fine, only 5.8 (I've installed them 3 times now, each time a fresh download) seems to give this problem. No matter how many times I've run 3DMark05 & 03 and the demos I've never had a crash, though the CPU temp alarm does go mad when running 05 for the GPU tests (though not for the CPU only test & the machine never shuts down, set at 75C)

System specs are
Cheiftec Dragon midi-tower (old 5x 80mm fan style)
Antec NeoPower
Abit AN8 (latest BIOS from Abit)
Athlon64 3800+ (NewCastle)
HIS X800XL (with noisy but work Arctic Cooling)
1GB PC3200 (normal Crucial)
LGE GSA4381B (I think)
74GB Raptor
200GB (SpinPoint or Maxtor)
The chassis has a full compliment of fans but all are running off the mobo headers (via current booster/amp circuit) temps are always warm but never hot (50C tops for CPU & GPU as set up now).

EDIT: I'm not using Cool n' Quiet & the nForce drivers a 6.66

Do you use CCC or the regular control panel? I never liked CCC, primarily because the software was slow and not entirely stable :/

Jesus_Faction; yes but this is specific to one driver & it doesn't seem to be cooling considering that I've taken about 15C off the GPU temp & 10C off the CPU temp. As for the power supply I'll drop in a 550w TrueControl & change drivers again.

Tytanium; I've tried driver only, CCC & Control Panel

Well it's still happening with 5.8s & an Antec TrueControl :(. If it is cooling it's gonna be fun cause temps are rather low.

I have also been having a lot of stability trouble with the latest 5.8 drivers (usually the game would be "tabbed" and there would be this VPU recovery message, than I could tab back and keep playing normally). This happened with both the CCC and CP versions, and I always use driver cleaner when changing drivers.

Still the only game I play extensively is Warcraft 3 so it was no problem to go back to the omega 5.7, and now everything works perfectly. Heck, I was even happy with the 5.1 until they somehow implemented this huge performance boost in 5.7... :)

hum, I thought the performance boost came in between 5.4 and 5.6 (4659 to 5063 in 3DMark05) ;) 5.8 came in a 5026 but with CPU mark in at a shade over 4900 opposed to the 5.6s 4525 & 5.4s 5099... strange stuff indeed ;)

Well when I tried all of them (back when 5.7 weren't released), the omega 5.1 gave me the best results... but I have a 9600pro. When I talk about 5.7's performance boost, I'm only refering to ATI's change log when they give the approximative performance gains in different applicationd due to an optimization in the memory allocation (or something like that).

Back