Catalyst 10.12 Leaked via Guru

release notes page has bad link :mad:

Not wasting my time tell i get the facts and official release

Preview of the new CCC will be released later today according to the twitter feed from AMD...

Arma 2 Crossfire still busted, to be expected.

3D Mark 11 score about the same. Not much else to say about so far.

Release Notes link no worky...

hm

For reals. I NEED to know if these new drivers fix the terrible issues in Windows Media Center 7 64 bit. The 10.10e driver is the worst amd/ati driver I have ever seen. I upgraded from a perfectly working 4890 with older drivers to a 6850 with the new drivers and haven't been able to use WMC7 since then. Thank God for using the 360 as a streamer.

Edit, the release notes are now up:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ReleaseNotes.aspx

Last edited:
Powerplay isn't working correctly with overdrive settings... oh well.

edit: finally, though, haha:

Random mouse cursor corruption is no longer seen

Oh, is this finally fixed for Starcraft 2 ??? These are in the release notes:

Random mouse cursor corruption is no longer seen

"Crossfire no longer gets randomly disabled in some games after task switching."

I will be downloading them just for this.

"The screen may flicker and objects may be duplicated when running Medal of Honor DX11 with Crossfire enabled."

I hate that game, I never play it but the one time I did it was black screen of death a lot.

Ok I just tried these but I can't find the MLAA option anywhere. I'm running the 10.12 preview with the new interface. I'm still using 5000 series but I've been using the 10.4 drivers for months. What driver(s) will give me the MLAA option?

When Overdrive is enabled, 2D memory clock speeds are no longer affected by custom memory clock speeds. Finally, my 4850 can idle 10C lower, haha.

But as with all of their drivers, they manage to break other things. DXVA doesn't work without restarting.

When Overdrive is enabled, 2D memory clock speeds are no longer affected by custom memory clock speeds. Finally, my 4850 can idle 10C lower, haha.

Exactly, finally i can use my 300/500MHz setting for my 5870 again. I was still on 10.4 because those were the latest drivers supporting this (10.5-10.11 force me to 300/1200).

Just installed the 10.12 drivers from AMD's website. Where's the Morphological AA toggle? I can't seem to find it.

Just installed the 10.12 drivers from AMD's website. Where's the Morphological AA toggle? I can't seem to find it.

Hmm, seems they will have to be hacked for MLAA on my 5870 AGAIN... sigh...

The new interface is... i dunno... .. hmm... White, I guess. Really white.

*shrug*

Y.

Hmm, seems they will have to be hacked for MLAA on my 5870 AGAIN... sigh...

The new interface is... i dunno... .. hmm... White, I guess. Really white.

*shrug*

Y.

What do you mean by hacked? Let me know because I'd really like to have that toggle for MLAA. Oddly enough, MLAA is still running for some reason. I left MLAA on when I updated the drivers, but I thought it would reset since it wasn't an option anymore.

Exactly, finally i can use my 300/500MHz setting for my 5870 again. I was still on 10.4 because those were the latest drivers supporting this (10.5-10.11 force me to 300/1200).
They forced your memory to run at full 3D clockspeeds in order to fix screen flickering while changing PowerPlay modes. If the memory clock is changed, the image on all but the primary display flickers for a moment while the RAM stabilizes at the new clockspeed. The only solution was to never change memory clocks, which meant keeping them in the highest performance mode at all times.

Since the old PowerPlay setup scaled clockspeeds up and down all the time, this lead to a LOT of random flickering. If they've stopped locking memory clockspeed at 3D clocks again, then they've reintroduced that old bug again...

Downloading the drivers now to verify this.

Last edited:
As I suspected, these are compleatly broken out-of-the-box. Do not install unless you want headaches.

1. They've brought back the old PowerPlay issues. My HD5850 dropped to 157MHz core and 300MHz RAM. My secondary monitors are flickering like crazy because of this. Only solution is to compleatly disable overclocking, the drivers will then idle at the correct clockspeeds (400MHz core / 1000MHz RAM in my case).
2. The PowerPlay issues with Flash video and other forms of DXVA accelerated video are also still present. The video card gets stuck at 400MHz core, 900MHz RAM, and will not enter 3D clocks unless the video is closed compleatly.
3. They've enabled some hidiously bad video "enhancements" in CCC. Turn them all off and set Dynamic Range to "0-255" to drastically improve video quality...
4. OpenGL issues persist. You still have to use atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 to play older OpenGL titles.

Will we ever get a driver that works right? These are even more broken than 10.10 and 10.11, and they're brining back bugs from EVEN OLDER drivers...

Last edited:
I downloaded the 8.80 drivers from the forum that hosted it, and I think the new interface is really slick. Good riddance to the drop-down boxes!

On another note, I wish AMD drivers weren't so buggy. My 4870 hasn't given me any problems, but it seems like every other 5000 and 6000 owner has some sort of issue.

The GUI/Interface is TERRIBLE IMO. Worse than before, which is quite an achievement.

Haven't had enough time to play with all the things I am sure these broke for the X2

Still runs Phoenix RC Simulator "ok", which is pretty sad, but it has never run great on ATI anyway.

btw, anyone who installs over top of the 10.11 betas, make sure you reset to factory defaults in CCC.

I was having the 2d clock issues on my 5870 with dual monitors until I did that

btw, anyone who installs over top of the 10.11 betas, make sure you reset to factory defaults in CCC.

I was having the 2d clock issues on my 5870 with dual monitors until I did that

This did the trick, thanks.

As I suspected, these are compleatly broken out-of-the-box. Do not install unless you want headaches.

1. They've brought back the old PowerPlay issues. My HD5850 dropped to 157MHz core and 300MHz RAM. My secondary monitors are flickering like crazy because of this. Only solution is to compleatly disable overclocking, the drivers will then idle at the correct clockspeeds (400MHz core / 1000MHz RAM in my case).
2. The PowerPlay issues with Flash video and other forms of DXVA accelerated video are also still present. The video card gets stuck at 400MHz core, 900MHz RAM, and will not enter 3D clocks unless the video is closed compleatly.
3. They've enabled some hidiously bad video "enhancements" in CCC. Turn them all off and set Dynamic Range to "0-255" to drastically improve video quality...
4. OpenGL issues persist. You still have to use atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 to play older OpenGL titles.

Will we ever get a driver that works right? These are even more broken than 10.10 and 10.11, and they're brining back bugs from EVEN OLDER drivers...

The dynamic range setting disappeared for me. Anyone else? Built in search function is a plus at least.

oops edit: didn't notice the official note that these are just preview cut down version.

Last edited:
Powerplay isn't working correctly with overdrive settings... oh well.

edit: finally, though, haha:
+1

I just moved to the new drivers today. At this point, I'm willing to trade off the extra performance from Overdrive to fix the ****ing mouse corruption, lol. Hopefully they will have both issues fixed in an upcoming driver release.

I am not running any high end card really or dx11 but I can tell you this I moved from the 10.11 version to the 10.12 and I can feel & see the difference in drivers on my 4890. My games run smoother and before with the 10.11 i was having metro 2033 loading issues and I no longer have the problem

The 10.12s are working great on my 6850. SC2 pylons are fixed, alot faster now too. I have no problems at all.

They forced your memory to run at full 3D clockspeeds in order to fix screen flickering while changing PowerPlay modes. If the memory clock is changed, the image on all but the primary display flickers for a moment while the RAM stabilizes at the new clockspeed. The only solution was to never change memory clocks, which meant keeping them in the highest performance mode at all times.

Since the old PowerPlay setup scaled clockspeeds up and down all the time, this lead to a LOT of random flickering. If they've stopped locking memory clockspeed at 3D clocks again, then they've reintroduced that old bug again...

Downloading the drivers now to verify this.

Well, sorry to say, but i don't care :). My secondary display is via GT240, so i was affected only by high memory clock, i had no flickers. I was only bothered by green dots because of 157/300 clocks, which were solved only by using OC profiles - which in case of pre-10.12 drivers ended up by forcing 1200MHz RAM clock, which could be solved only by using other tools to do the OC, which of course had it's own problems (ATITool vs Steam overlay bug).

So i'm glad they "reintroduced" this bug, as it's finally working for me again as it should.

So you're using a second video card for your second display to avoid the flickering caused on secondary display heads by changing memory clockspeeds? That sounds more broken than simply keeping your video RAM at 1200MHz at all times (which is the behavior AMD intends).

Clicking the "Defaults" button will fix it again, and your card will idle at the correct clockspeed (400MHz / 1200MHz). Expect that to be the norm for all drivers.

Had two screen freezes since installing these drivers. Definately GPU related, can still hear iTunes in the background playing.

Back to 10.10e.

Not happy.

Second freeze was just changing 3D settings.

So you're using a second video card for your second display to avoid the flickering caused on secondary display heads by changing memory clockspeeds? That sounds more broken than simply keeping your video RAM at 1200MHz at all times (which is the behavior AMD intends).

Not really :). The secondary card is for Folding@home & PhysX.

Oh and my problem wasn't the fact that it idled at 400/1200MHz - i would keep that setting. My problem was that :
1) if i didn't had a profile, it idled at 157/300 no matter what i did, resulting in green dots issue
2) if i had a profile, it idled at 1200MHz memory clock. The question is - why having a profile setting for memory clock when it doesn't work ? And that's where 10.12 got fixed, setting memory clock works again. If you need 1200MHz, you can set 1200MHz.

EDIT: Also installed new Intel RST drivers yesterday, so going to wait and see if they were the culprit first. If not, i'm selling my two 6870s and going over to the green team.

Back