Cat6 over Cat5e for a New Home?

I hate things on the ceiling. I wish they made more wall mount AP's.
we wall mount and dome aruba aps in the school gyms but it can make the signal screwy. but you can get these to get proper positioning:
1630545642232.png

I hate things on the ceiling. I wish they made more wall mount AP's.

Put in wall drops then and use APs that support wall mounting. But they're typically better performing up on the ceiling and people can't mess with them as easily. My kids would probably find a way to rip them off the wall but when they're 10 feet up on the ceiling, they aren't getting to them.

I just went straight YOLO I did the cheap and ugly install of Cat6 throughout my house by designating a closet near a coaxial connection my "networking closet", punched a damn hole in the ceiling, ran cables from a switch in that closet to every major room of my house through the attic terminating in a Cat6 connector plate that's just hanging out on the ceiling of every room in the house. Usually in a corner.

1630552615274.png
1630552558063.png
1630552588563.png

(Wow, I need to clear out the spiders in that closet...)

It absolutely works for me.
Aesthetically pleasing? Not a bit. Convenient? Fuck yes. I have 1GB ethernet (the switch is the limiting situation here, but i can upgrade that easily later because I'm already running Cat6 for everything else) to every room of the house so every TV/Computer/game console/AImesh node is hardwired. If you don't look up, you won't ever notice the ports being there.
If you do look up and care? Fuck off. It's my house.

Total cost was maybe $300? Total labor was like... 2 hours? Friend was in the attic with a drill and the Cat6, I was in the room with a broom, I banged on the ceiling where I wanted the port installed, we talked via cellphone, he moved to the spot, drilled a hole, we put the plate on afterwards.

Last edited:
I just went straight YOLO I did the cheap and ugly install of Cat6 throughout my house by designating a closet near a coaxial connection my "networking closet", punched a damn whole in the ceiling, ran cables from a switch in that closet to every major room of my house through the attic terminating in a Cat6 connector plate that's just kinda hanging out on the ceiling of every room in the house. Usually in a corner.

View attachment 391072View attachment 391060View attachment 391066

Aesthetically pleasing? Not a bit. Convenient? Fuck yes. I have 1GB ethernet (the switch is the limiting situation here, but i can upgrade that easily later because I'm already running Cat6 for everything else) to every room of the house so every TV/Computer/game console/AImesh node is hardwired. If you don't look up, you won't ever notice the ports being there.

Total cost was maybe $300?
gangsta fo sho

Edit: also, spiders are dicks, but other bugs are assholes. Best to let them fuck them assholes all day long.

Last edited:
Depends on the builder. Some are cool with it others less so. Years ago I helped a friend do this very thing ... after he bought the general contractor a couple cases of beer. :) The underlying issue in non construction loan houses is that until you close you don't actually own the house the builder does.
Gotcha, so worse case you ran a bunch of wire for him for free. Hmmm...seems a fair tradeoff since you'll lose with the builder running it. :D

Once they break ground, I will be breathing down their necks everyday. If he can't run cat6 I'll say something. haha
You have to be careful or they'll do stuff to mess up your house though, like damage things that will take years to cause an issue, but eventually will. Better to not even get into that situation.

^^^ this. if you going to have them do it for that much money, insist on testing.
edit: if you were paying that much to an actual installer, itd be tested.
Really good to know that you can get a real installer for the same price. :) Maybe that's all the contractor is doing?

You're not going to be able to fit modern septic requirements on bay area lots. My former 1907 house near San Jose had septic at one point, but I don't think you could fit an appropriate sized tank and drain field since the house was expanded, a garage was added, and people figured out it's good to build more drain lines than the minimum, in case some get blocked over time. Municipal sewers are much nicer, as long as you're not at the bottom of a hill.
That won't stop them from making retarded regulations that people with massive mortgages and property taxes will have to kow tow too. (n)

I just went straight YOLO I did the cheap and ugly install of Cat6 throughout my house by designating a closet near a coaxial connection my "networking closet", punched a damn hole in the ceiling, ran cables from a switch in that closet to every major room of my house through the attic terminating in a Cat6 connector plate that's just hanging out on the ceiling of every room in the house. Usually in a corner.

View attachment 391072View attachment 391060View attachment 391066

Total cost was maybe $300? Total labor was like... 2 hours? Friend was in the attic with a drill and the Cat6, I was in the room with a broom, I banged on the ceiling where I wanted the port installed, we talked via cellphone, he moved to the spot, drilled a hole, we put the plate on afterwards.
Unfortunately that wire you ran is that flat cable that usually is not compliant with specs when you push it. Otherwise, really clean imo. You can find 90deg patch cables too that would tidy it up even more if you wanted:
https://www.tripplite.com/cat6-giga...5-right-angle-down-male-blue-3-ft~n204003bldn

We just moved into our new build. Upgraded cables wasn't a listed option but when I asked they offered CAT6a for $50cdn extra per drop. The bulk cable is double the cost, plus the different hardware, so it was delightfully cheap to upgrade. Best time to get cables run!

Might be late, but I've known people who wait till the framing is up and electrical is in and they run in with a spool of cable and run the data themselves. Drywallers do their thing and then they'll come back to put the ends on or face plates. I know that's what I'd do if I was building a house.

Cat 5e can only do 1Gbps. Cat 6 can do 10-40 Gbps depending on application, length, and other factors. The catch is, edit:Cat6 10G equipment is considerably more expensive and not as widespread. There is also little use for 10G at the moment for most. The only place I use Cat6 bandwidth is in my 4k HDMI over Cat extenders, as those supposedly need 18Gbps.
However, it will be more expensive to upgrade to Cat6 once all your walls are closed up and finished. $268 is really steep if you just do 4 cables. The difference in price b/w 1000ft of Cat 5e and Cat6 is $40 or so, and I doubt they'll use more than half the box. You're paying $268 for $20 worth of material (labor is practically same), plus a few cents on upgraded receptacles. But such is life I guess. If you do just 4 cables, I would try to negotiate and have then upgrade it for free if that's at all possible.
If you were doing 16 runs, then $268 starts to make more sense.
Finally, $160 per drop is kind of a standard price, unfortunately. Similar to how each electrical outlet is $200 or so. It's spendy if you consider that it takes no more than 30m to install each, but that's the building industry for ya.
I beg to differ. I have cat 5 and do 10 gb easily...

Might be late, but I've known people who wait till the framing is up and electrical is in and they run in with a spool of cable and run the data themselves. Drywallers do their thing and then they'll come back to put the ends on or face plates. I know that's what I'd do if I was building a house.
This is what we would do on commercial even. (y) A lot times we would even just run the wire and leave it somewhere we could find later.

Hello.

Just need some help from someone experienced here.

To make a long story short, I bought a new home which I get to pick everything for. One of the wiring options is deciding what rooms to put Ethernet cable in and whether or not to upgrade the whole house to Cat6. They are charging $266 to upgrade cables to cat6. I just want to know if this is worth it to do? Halp!

I am considering installing POE Security cameras which would use power over ethernet as well, so that is part of my thoughts. Past that I dont see myself really "needing" the features of cat6 but maybe better for future proofing to do it now?
Not sure if I am too late in replying, but the Cat 6 may be shielded cable which would be worth using to keep interference to a minimum.

Not sure if I am too late in replying, but the Cat 6 may be shielded cable which would be worth using to keep interference to a minimum.
It is better, but a huge pain to work with. The short distances in a house don't generally benefit shielded cable (if they are twisted pairs) unless you are in a very noisy(EM spectrum noise). Plus it is quite hard to work with.

Cat 5e can only do 1Gbps. Cat 6 can do 10-40 Gbps depending on application, length, and other factors. The catch is, edit:Cat6 10G equipment is considerably more expensive and not as widespread. There is also little use for 10G at the moment for most. The only place I use Cat6 bandwidth is in my 4k HDMI over Cat extenders, as those supposedly need 18Gbps.
However, it will be more expensive to upgrade to Cat6 once all your walls are closed up and finished. $268 is really steep if you just do 4 cables. The difference in price b/w 1000ft of Cat 5e and Cat6 is $40 or so, and I doubt they'll use more than half the box. You're paying $268 for $20 worth of material (labor is practically same), plus a few cents on upgraded receptacles. But such is life I guess. If you do just 4 cables, I would try to negotiate and have then upgrade it for free if that's at all possible.
If you were doing 16 runs, then $268 starts to make more sense.
Finally, $160 per drop is kind of a standard price, unfortunately. Similar to how each electrical outlet is $200 or so. It's spendy if you consider that it takes no more than 30m to install each, but that's the building industry for ya.
Cat 5 with more efficient protocol to transfer data can do 10 Gbps. Using old, less efficient protocols, it would not be able to do 10 Gbps. Cat 6 was only originally designed for 1 Gbps, now it is capable of more with more efficient protocol.

Yeah thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The builders pretty much gave me zero options aside from choosing cat6 or cat5e so.... I went with the cat6 just to help "future proof". It was only like $266 to upgrade and I did quite a few drops in the house so....

I made all my choices and signed all finalized docs so, everything is set in stone now. No going back at this point. :)

It is better, but a huge pain to work with. The short distances in a house don't generally benefit shielded cable (if they are twisted pairs) unless you are in a very noisy(EM spectrum noise). Plus it is quite hard to work with.
Other RF emitting devices can cause interference, copper wire acts as an antenna and can collect RF. It could be an issue if your hosue is located near to an FM radio tower. For the most part shielding won't be necessary.

Other RF emitting devices can cause interference, copper wire acts as an antenna and can collect RF. It could be an issue if your hosue is located near to an FM radio tower. For the most part shielding won't be necessary.
true,
There is no doubt that shielded wire is better. But its harder to bend, and harder to terminate. Twisted pair wires are quite resistant to interference all on their own, unless extremely high powered (FM radio tower is a good example). Or if you have a Ham radio set in your attic, etc. Otherwise unshielded wire would be recommended, just because its easier to install.

The bigger problem is when STP is used and not terminated correctly. This means your punch down blocks and jacks must be rated for STP. If not the shielding is left ungrounded and can become an antenna it can also pick up a charge causing random equipment failure and potentially fire. In general STP should only be installed by those actually trained and certified to install it.

Beware of this:
My Dad had a lot of work on his house and HDMI cables/sockets were fitted throughout the house for TV.
One of them proved dodgy and he now has to use another cable routed along wall corners.

Make absolutely sure everything works at full bandwidth before its too late to replace!

Beware of this:
My Dad had a lot of work on his house and HDMI cables/sockets were fitted throughout the house for TV.
One of them proved dodgy and he now has to use another cable routed along wall corners.

Make absolutely sure everything works at full bandwidth before its too late to replace!
And even if it works on day one, there's always the possibility that over time a cable will stop working when installed badly. I've seen wired cat5 stop working like that.

Back