CAT6 House wiring, solid or stranded

theTIK

Gawd
I am going to be wiring a house with CAT6 cable soon.... The place I am buying bulk from the solid and stranded are the same price, what should I use in the walls?

Oh, and a word from the wise - get a decent crimper\IDC (impact) tool with a good wire stripper built in or seperate. They really are invaluble if you're dealing with keystones\modular plugs. :)

I kinda fucked up on this
I used stranded at my parents house when they were building it.
It was my idea to prewire the house completely before they put the walls up. My stepdad wanted it real cheap, so I found a good deal on wire. Never checked it but ended up doing the whole house in stranded. I don't think it will be a big problem though, short runs.... we also ended up doing phones with it too since we had so much wire left. I tried to talk him out of it, but he felt it would be fine... so I did

project turned out great though. I ran all phone, network, and cable to a central location in the house (closet). I then patched the phone and cable as needed (network isn't in use yet). Now we can direct stuff anywhere and between rooms in the house. I also ran additional wires to select locations for future growth. Additionally I also ran connections on opposite walls in some rooms. This way you can always have a tv/comptuer/phone/etc hooked up on any walll without having to cross a doorjam.

genesis[OFT];1030507558 said:
Oh, and a word from the wise - get a decent crimper\IDC (impact) tool with a good wire stripper built in or seperate. They really are invaluble if you're dealing with keystones\modular plugs. :)

I just bought a cheap impact tool and a cheap tester on ebay. Hopefully they work alright. Keystones a are little easier then rj-45's. I might just wire the house with wallplates and keystones and then just buy premade stranded cables with rj-45's rather then make them.

I kinda fucked up on this
I used stranded at my parents house when they were building it.
It was my idea to prewire the house completely before they put the walls up. My stepdad wanted it real cheap, so I found a good deal on wire. Never checked it but ended up doing the whole house in stranded. I don't think it will be a big problem though, short runs.... we also ended up doing phones with it too since we had so much wire left. I tried to talk him out of it, but he felt it would be fine... so I did

project turned out great though. I ran all phone, network, and cable to a central location in the house (closet). I then patched the phone and cable as needed (network isn't in use yet). Now we can direct stuff anywhere and between rooms in the house. I also ran additional wires to select locations for future growth. Additionally I also ran connections on opposite walls in some rooms. This way you can always have a tv/comptuer/phone/etc hooked up on any walll without having to cross a doorjam.

So how is this NOT a success story? I was expecting something bad to happen yet you say it turned out great, wtf was the point of this then?

Back