Cat6/Ethernet Wiring Questions....

We're building a new home, and I'm working with the low voltage guys our builder uses on Cat6/RG6 in the house.

I'm debating on how many Cat6 drops to have in the house. My question surrounds the number of lines ran to where I'm putting RG6. All of it is going to terminate back to my network area, where I'll have a rack/patch panel/switch/router/etc.

Let's say I just run a single Cat6 to all of my RG6 locations. Can I then slap a little 5 port switch/hub on that single Cat6 to divide up the signal to all the devices (TV/Game/Computer) in that room?

Or should I legitimately run multiple lines of Cat6 to each location?

It, of course, comes down to cost. I am totally going to budget for multiple lines, but it would save me money in the long run to have only a single line ran, and then have a 5 port switch/hub divide up the signal on that single run.

What sort of problems could that cause, though? Having 5 or 6 switch/hubs down stream from my main switch back at the network room?

I have single CAT6 runs to my rooms to save on cost. I think single runs will be good enough because CAT6 can support 10Gbe so in the future you can get 10Gbe switches to split out the one connect. For now, a gigabit switch is good enough unless you are copying buttloads of data between different devices on your network?

When running lines, is running 2-4 lines really that much more expensive than 1?
It's about a $100 a line, when using the vendor my builder contracts with.

I don't have an option of doing it myself or using someone else either. So, it CAN add up quickly.

You want to eliminate as many remote switches as possible. Those down-line switches can oftentimes become bottlenecks and headaches. That being said, since this is a residential environment, I doubt that you will have very many issues. I still would run 2 cables instead of one to each location. When, not if, you have a cable go bad, you will be glad that you spent the $100 extra up front (and financed into your mortgage) than having to spend $500+ getting a new line run to that location.

I'd also have the builder leave a string left with the cable run so that additionals cable could be pulled through. Unless they are stappling the wires in.....

A few hundred dollars added to the mortgage isn't going to make any noticeable difference. Better to do it now before the drywall goes up. Add as many lines of Cat 6/6a to as many locations as possible. Any place that might need to support network devices. Entertainment centers and offices are the biggest concern. Also consider ceiling locations for wireless access points.

Also, see if the builder can put in conduit. And do see if you can negotiate for lower per-line rates.

Unless they are stappling the wires in

If they do this, fire them. Aside from making possible future replacement near-impossible, any attachment method that can distort/deform the cable is against spec as it can affect its ability to transfer data.

And a conduit/chase from basement to attic, wtth pull string.

When running lines, is running 2-4 lines really that much more expensive than 1?

These companies dont care about stuff like that. yes it is far easier and much mroe cost effective, but they will still cahrge you $100 per drop/line no matter if you have 1 in each place or 4 together in the same spot. Just a way for them to make buckets more money.

I too am of the opinion that since this cost is being spread over 30 years most likely, an extra $1000 in the grand scheme is nothing. Add a bunch now or you will regret it later. In the living room, loft if you havge one, master bedroom, and maybe another room you should do 2 Cat6 lines to each location where you have RG6 coax. You also should put 1-2 extra lines in different locations in the master bedroom, one of the other bedrooms, and the loft if you have one. Also any computer room/home office room should have 2-3 locations with Ethernet (not 2-3 lines in 1 location). This will let you have multiple options for where to place your computers in a room, as where you can put it will most likely be up to the wife/gf and more options is always better.

Back