CAT6 cable speed issues

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
I purchased a cat6 cable to replace my 15 year old cat5e cable.
Its my first time terminating a cable and i think i might have done something wrong.
The cable i got is cat6 Logilink PrimeLine CAT6 Patch Cable S/FTP.
I terminated my cable pairs in the following order: white-yellow / white-blue / white-green / white-brown.
When i do a speed test,my speeds are 3,4 times lower than on my cat5e cable.
The internet works,but its slower than it should be.
Any ideeas what could be my issue?
Thanks!

What was wrong with your old cable?

Do you have a specific need for a shielded cable? if those aren't correctly terminated AND grounded at both ends, then you end up with bad performance.

I terminated my cable pairs in the following order: white-yellow / white-blue / white-green / white-brown.
What do you mean by this? Did you only use the 4 white striped conductors? Is that the order you put them into the plug? For gigabit ethernet, all eight conductors have to be used, and there's a certain order they have to be in. Otherwise you end up with signals that are meant to be paired crossing the wrong conductors and creating all sorts of transmission errors. Look up TIA 568A or TIA-568B to see the correct ordering.

Better yet, buy a premade cable.

What was wrong with your old cable?

Do you have a specific need for a shielded cable? if those aren't correctly terminated AND grounded at both ends, then you end up with bad performance.

What do you mean by this? Did you only use the 4 white striped conductors? Is that the order you put them into the plug? For gigabit ethernet, all eight conductors have to be used, and there's a certain order they have to be in. Otherwise you end up with signals that are meant to be paired crossing the wrong conductors and creating all sorts of transmission errors. Look up TIA 568A or TIA-568B to see the correct ordering.

Better yet, buy a premade cable.
That was the color in wich a terminated them,i used all 8 conductors of course: white-yellow-white-blue-white-green-white-brow.
I am worried that the color order might be wrong,every tutorial out there shows this order,not sure whats wrong..

TIA-568B is the professional standard in the US.

This is the proper sequence.
OrangeWhite/Orange/GreenWhite/Blue/BlueWhite/Green/BrownWhite/Brown

Also ryan_975 is correct about shielding. He pretty much covered everything.

My pairs are like this:
White and Orange
White and Blue
White and Green
White and Brown
My wires are only one solid color,no 2 colors on 1 wire like i see in every tutorial.

I terminated them White-Orange / White-Blue / White-Green / White-Brown

Attachments

• 20190112_153529.jpg
    20190112_153529.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
Should be wired like this (note that the green pair is split across the blue pair).

1) Orange pair -white
2l Orange pair - orange
3) Green pair -white
4) Blue pair - blue
5) Blue pair - white
6l Green pair - green
7) Brown pair - white
8) Brown pair - brown

If you're punching down to a patch panel, make sure you're using the same 568B standard. Sounds like some wires might have gotten crossed, or didn't properly terminate when you punched down. That's typically what will cause lower speeds

IIRC - 100mb uses 4 wires while Gig and higher use all 8. If you messed up on one or more of the Gig only wires, possible your switch/adapter defaulted to 100mb. Could be why it still works but is slower.

For short runs, 5e cable will work for higher speeds.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself. Might be a good excuse to pickup a cable tester.

Should be wired like this (note that the green pair is split across the blue pair).

1) Orange pair -white
2l Orange pair - orange
3) Green pair -white
4) Blue pair - blue
5) Blue pair - white
6l Green pair - green
7) Brown pair - white
8) Brown pair - brown
Thanks! ryan_975
This was it!Just needed the right wire combination.
Thanks to everybody!
Topic closed i guess :)

IIRC - 100mb uses 4 wires while Gig and higher use all 8. If you messed up on one or more of the Gig only wires, possible your switch/adapter defaulted to 100mb. Could be why it still works but is slower.

For short runs, 5e cable will work for higher speeds.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself. Might be a good excuse to pickup a cable tester.

Even 100mb can fall to its knees if it's trying to send a data on mis-paired conductors.

My pairs are like this:
White and Orange
White and Blue
White and Green
White and Brown
My wires are only one solid color,no 2 colors on 1 wire like i see in every tutorial.

I terminated them White-Orange / White-Blue / White-Green / White-Brown

The issue is that your cable is junk. Their should be no plain white conductors at all, and your cable has 4 of them! :eek:

At least in your pic it shows them paired so you can kinda figure stuff out. But either way the cable is wrong, and how you said you wired *may* be incorrect as well. We just cant really know from the information you provided and how crappy your cable is.

Right now you say you have it like this:
1 - white
2 - orange
3 - white
4 - blue
5 - white
6 - green
7 - white
8 - brown

And you need to have it like this:
1 - white from the conductor in the orange shield
2 - orange
3 - white from the conductor in the green shield
4 - blue
5 - white from the conductor in the blue shield
6 - green
7 - white from the conductor in the brown shield
8 - brown

Next time you should look up quality brands of wire, it does make a difference. I really cant even believe there are companies out there that don't even use spec standard wire colors... If they skimped on those, what else did they skimp on? Does it even meet the proper impedance spec? Does it even have the proper twist spec for noise rejection? Doesnt look like it from your pic.

Last edited:
Your cable is junk. Their should be no plain white conductors at all, and your cable has 4 of them!

At least in your pic it shows them paired so you can kinda figure stuff out. But either way it is wrong, and how you said you wired *may* be wrong. We just cant really know from the information your provided and how crappy your cable is.

Right now you say you have it like this:
1 - white
2 - orange
3 - white
4 - blue
5 - white
6 - green
7 - white
8 - brown

And you need to have it like this:
1 - white from the conductor in the orange shield
2 - orange
3 - white from the conductor in the green shield
4 - blue
5 - white from the conductor in the blue shield
6 - green
7 - white from the conductor in the brown shield
8 - brown

Next time look up quality brands of wire, it does make a difference.
He already said it was resolved. You came here just to scold OP?

Back