Cat5e vs Cat6 for my application...

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
My LAN is a gigabit network. There are a couple of devices on the LAN that are 10/100 that are multimedia devices (blu-ray, etc.). The rest are 10/100/1000 (PCs, swich, router, NAS). I would safely say that all but one of the cables are easily within' 10' long. So I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from Cat5e to Cat6.

Thanks....

5e is fine for gigabit...but...
Price difference is pretty nil these days though...so if you're purchasing, I'd spring the extra 3 cents and get 6. If you have 5e now and you're wondering if to replace with 6...I'd not bother, 5e is fine.
Nothing to lose sleep over.

Price difference is pretty nil these days though...so if you're purchasing, I'd spring the extra 3 cents and get 6. If you have 5e now and you're wondering if to replace with 6...I'd not bother, 5e is fine.

+1.

Yep, what they said. Cat 6 won't make things any faster.

Exactly. The only incentive to spring for Cat6 is knowing that it will support 10Gbit over copper, while Cat5e will not. Again, not really a concern for the vast majority of people.

Exactly. The only incentive to spring for Cat6 is knowing that it will support 10Gbit over copper, while Cat5e will not. Again, not really a concern for the vast majority of people.

Yea, but the [H] isn't the vast majority of people. We run Cat6 to our 10Mb DSL router. Fiber to the desktop. Our USB3 connectors are GOLD plated! That's right, fucking GOLD!

5e will work fine for Gb. Very small, if any, gains would come from upgrading to Cat6.

There you go. What he said.

+2.

cat5e will do gigabit fine and 97% of the time you don't need gigabit. Cat6 will get you to 10 gig. Chances are if you need 10 gig you're not doing it on long runs or copper.

Back