Cat5e cable.. has ...stuff in it?

xtox

Limp Gawd
Ok, i'm going to come off really bad at explaining this but..

I baught 300ft of cat5e a while back, when untwisting the wires, I notice tonnes of these strands. Kind of fabric looking bits. They get in the way and annoy me to hell. I end up cutting them off.

But what is the technical name for these bits? The wire I use at college doesnt have anything like that inside.

It doesnt look like insulation of any type because its not spread around oll of the wires.. there is just one big clump of it.

I'm sure someone wil have a clue!

Thanks

they are stress relief things. its so when your tuggin and pullin on the cable, the "fibers" take the stress not the wires..

They're also great for when you slice the jacket open to get to the wires, you grab as much of that stuff as you can then pull it away from the wires to expose more wire. When you slice it, there's always a chance that you'll nick one of the wires...

feigned said:
They're also great for when you slice the jacket open to get to the wires, you grab as much of that stuff as you can then pull it away from the wires to expose more wire. When you slice it, there's always a chance that you'll nick one of the wires...

Good tip. I paid for a special wire stripper because I kept cutting too deep. Yet another $20 leason learned :D

Back