Cat cable sold in bulk?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I was looking in to making my own cat5 or cat6 cable for my new home.

I went to staples and saw this...

Cat 5 250ft = $70.00
RJ-45 clips = $13.00
Crimping tool = $25.00

That is a lot of money - is this average or just a total rip?
Can someone tell me where the best place to buy cat6 online is?

pointdexterish said:
This is consistently the BEST deal out there for a complete package (comes with 1000ft of Cat5e, crimpers, ends and a tester):

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CT-CAT5E-1000-30U&cat=CBL

All that.. for under $45. Good luck!

Yeah, that's a pretty good deal, but I'd reccomend a set of ratcheting crimpers over something like those. THat way, you have to fully crimp the end before the tool will release vs those crimpers that you can let go at any time and not necessarily get a good crimp. If you're careful though, they'll be fine... just not what I'd use. Personal preference I suppose.

That does look like a good deal, but why does it say
CM or CMG (general purpose): Cables may be used only
within a single floor,....
....i.e. in the horizontal run. May not be used to
penetrate floors or.....
.....ceilings, nor used in air handling spaces.

I can understand why they dont want it in vents, because of the way it burns, I have heard about toxic gas or something, But why not thru walls and ceilings ?

For the same reason - fire travels upwards through walls and across ceilings. I am guessing that they have to put that disclaimer on the page to cover themselves from a liability standpoint.

I'll second Home Depot or Lowes for cable. It's like 11 cents a foot or so for Cat5e. I did 3 rooms in my old house for ~$20 or so. You can get a good crimp tool online for $15 also.

I did my whole house with cat6 and bought some high-quality cable on eBay. I also bought crimpers and line testers for much cheaper. I also bought the stuff from CompGeeks and I didn't like the quality of it.

I dont like the quality of the stuff in the CompGeeks kits either. I get all my networking parts/cable from distributors like Graybar. That way you can be assured of quality products.

Back