Casual Co-Op Game

Alyosha

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife is looking for a game to play together once the kids are in bed. Something laid back and not too hard. Anyone here have some suggestions for something on the chick friendly side?

ibb & obb sounds like just what you're looking for. I don't own it personally, but it is on my wishlist. Reading through the user reviews and a very common review says, "play it with your girlfriend."

ibb & obb on Steam

Portal 2 is a good one. My wife likes to watch/play Telltale games. The Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands. Since they are kind of like interactive movies they are entertaining even if you’re not playing.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

GRAV. So freakin' addictive. I am currently 160 hours into that game and still completely hooked.

It's an open-world survival sandbox in space - build stargates to travel between several different planets. Very pretty graphics. Nice shooter mechanics, RPG-style leveling system. Mine materials and craft weapons, tools, vehicles, and buildings.

Little like a cross between Minecraft and Borderlands game-play-wise. But you don't dig into the ground, just mine items off the planet surface.

It's a blast to play with friends. Guessing the wife may like it too. If you hurry it's in a humble bundle currently for ~$6.50.

Can you give me info on what you and your wife like to play, as well as your setup? Ie. Are you playing on the same PC locally, does she have her own PC etc.. ? Do you have controllers as well as KB/M setups?

***Warning, I know all of these are co-op or playable together, but as I don't play LOCAL co op very often, not all of these have single-PC local co-op. IMPORTANT- sometimes Steam titles flagged with "co-op" will have Local even if it is not noted. However, many games flagged alone Local Co-Op are ONLY local viable without online support***

Okay, a few ideas... Most of the following can be found on Steam or Humble (some on GOG), save for the Blizzard titles which use their own launcher.

Castle Crashers - A great little beat-em-up on Steam. Tons of fun co-op. The characters are gender ambiguous and the whole thing has a cute aesthetic

Fist Puncher - another great little beat-em-up, with NES-style art. Local Co-Op only!

Love in a Dangerous Spacetime - A perfect co-op title, for LOCAL co-op only. Look for it on Steam. The
two of you need to pilot a cute spaceship and ward off attacks working together.

Portal 2 - Co-op puzzle solving at its best!

Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Killing Floor 2, Warhammer Vermintide - All of these are 3D, first person co-op titles against hordes of enemies. Killing Floor and Vermintide have some RPG elements like class progression . Shoot some zombies or rats together!

Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre Sequel - Excellent, bright and enjoyable FPS best played Co-op. Tons and tons of content, story, and female characters abound.

Rocket League - Imagine playing football/soccer with tricked out cars, a giant ball, and an enclosed arena allow you to boost, flip, and shoot off the sides and roof if you wish! Play together against an enemy team online or off!

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. A fantastic co-op Metroidvania with a unique, Latin American art style. Do NOT get the "Gold Edition". That is the older version of the game that lacks content.

Never Alone - An accessible,co-op platformer with a cute aesthetic. Alaskan Native developed, it is fable from their culture about a girl and an arctic fox working together. Very unique, the Foxtales expansion gives you more content too!

Don't Starve Together - a cute, 2D survival title! Honestly not sure if it local co-op on the same PC compliant or not though. Female characters available.

Trine Enhanced Edition, Trine 2 Complete Story, Trine 3 - All three of the titles are fantastic co-op platforming fun. Each character has special abilities and there is a female character too.

BattleBlock Theater - Unique, cute platforming with a lot of items to collect and customize

Nuclear Throne - A cute roguelike, local co-op shooter that is well received by many.

Terraria - 2D "minecraft + adventure mode" title, very well developed. Build a house or take on dungeon stogether!

Starbound - Like Terraria, but more in depth. Still in development but very playable.

Risk of Rain - A fantastic roguelike platformer with pixel graphics. It may be little difficult, if she doesn't play platformers but still enjoyable.

Mercenary Kings - Platforming with progression/upgrades and a unique "Metal Slug" like aesthetic

Nom Nom Galaxy - A great PixelJunk (Japanese studio with a unique aesthetic)game, 2D sort in the vein of Terraria or Starbound, but instead the two of you are building a Soup Factory on every planet, gathering ingredients, defending against rivals and much more. Really fun and definitely has local co-op; I hear its actually better local, because of some lag issues until the next patch.

PixeJunk Shooter Ultimate, PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate - Both of these have co-op and local co-op. Shooter Ultimate is a twin-stick topdown exploration/shooter, and Monsters Ultimate is a classic tower defense!

ARK: Survival Evolved, GRAV, Planet Explorers, 7 Days To Die - These are 3D survival sandboxes with their own twists (Dinosaurs, Alien Planet, Zombies), if she likes that sort of thing. GRAV is probably the most "easily playable", but still has great depth.

Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, VanHelsing - These are isometric 3D diablo-type slash-and-loot types. Torchlight 2 is the most "bright and shiny" and plays very well.

Dungeon Defenders 2, Sanctum 2, Orcs Must Die 2 : All of these are co-op, 3rd person tower defense hybrid titles. You both shoot/attack and lay traps. Fun and as easy or hard as you make it.

Defense Grid 2 - A fantastic, polished traditional tower defense (overhead view) that is playable co-op and local for sure! If she likes TDs, this is a great one.

Tabletop Simulator - Want to play board games without the setup of the board? Tabletop Simulator has a ton of built in content for everything from checkers and chess to Dungeons and Dragons,, plus has DLC by officially partnering with certain board games to make a digital version! Huge Steam Workshop for free, too!

TRISTOY - A really unique story based platformer that can ONLY be played co-op (local and otherwise)! Both players have to make dialog choices, fight together and more. Some claim it to be buggy, but at least when I played it with my girlfriend we didn't have any problems.

*Blizzard Titles* Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and its expansions, Heroes of the Storm - All of these have fantastic, polished cooperative elements if your wife enjoys their gameplay. Of course, they all require multiple PCs but if you are set up that way, they're good co op offerings.

That will give you some to start depending on your situation and what she likes. I have other suggestions if you both like MMOS and whatnot.

P.S.

Oh and a NON co-op but you may both like taking turns - Crypt of the NecroDancer! Its rather deep, roguelike dungeon crawler that is played as a rhythm game! If she likes rhythm games than she may really like this one.

Finally, an unusual co-op experience - Don't Stop Talking And Nobody Explodes! If you don't have a strong relationship, you may want to avoid this one hehe. Basically one player is on the computer trying to disarm a bomb that is different every play! Everyone else (one person or many) have to talk them through it while reading the bomb-disarming manual, while NOT looking at the screen/bomb themselves. Its fun as a group or one on one depending on your audience.

Last edited:
Can you give me info on what you and your wife like to play, as well as your setup? Ie. Are you playing on the same PC locally, does she have her own PC etc.. ? Do you have controllers as well as KB/M setups?

***Warning, I know all of these are co-op or playable together, but as I don't play LOCAL co op very often, not all of these have single-PC local co-op. IMPORTANT- sometimes Steam titles flagged with "co-op" will have Local even if it is not noted. However, many games flagged alone Local Co-Op are ONLY local viable without online support***

Mother of gumballs, thanks for all the ideas!!

brutal fucking doom!!!! if she doesnt like it shes not metal enough!!!!

My wife also try to take a night every week/every other week to just game together. (shes in full blown nursing school/works full time/we have kids and I work all day 10h a day so its hard) Terraria and Heros of the storm are alot of fun. I actually took a old junk computer and set it up as a server so other friends+her brother can pop on via Hamachi when ever and keep things going. Its alot of fun

My wife is looking for a game to play together once the kids are in bed. Something laid back and not too hard. Anyone here have some suggestions for something on the chick friendly side?
hehe, kids are in bed, game to play with wife... how bout a little game of "find/catch the trouser snake"...

anything mentioned above. not sure if anyone mentioned the Trine series. its cool looking, shiny, to keep her attention. theres also "streets of fury" if shes into kickin some ass.

hehe, kids are in bed, game to play with wife... how bout a little game of "find/catch the trouser snake"...

anything mentioned above. not sure if anyone mentioned the Trine series. its cool looking, shiny, to keep her attention. theres also "streets of fury" if shes into kickin some ass.

I can't believe it took 16 posts to get this....

Thanks everyone for the ideas, we're looking through and figuring out what to give a try.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime! Excellent casual co-op. Can get a bit challenging, but my 8 year old daughter and I play it together a lot and enjoy the hell out of it. You can develop some really cool strategies. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

Back