Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 now available for pre-order on Steam!

20% with this 3MCRLE-CG7AF1-G7T08U code at gmg. 30% if you include the 10% preorder discount. Cant wait :)

I tried the mirror of fate demo on PS3 last weekend and didn't enjoy it. The combat felt like a more restricted version of God of War and the art was all so bland I had a difficult time making out what things were.

Does this game change things up much or is it more of the same?

I tried the mirror of fate demo on PS3 last weekend and didn't enjoy it. The combat felt like a more restricted version of God of War and the art was all so bland I had a difficult time making out what things were.

Does this game change things up much or is it more of the same?

Mirror of Fate is a port of the Nintendo 3DS game. I haven't played C: MoF but I imagine it to be quite different.

Mirror of Fate is a port of the Nintendo 3DS game. I haven't played C: MoF but I imagine it to be quite different.

MOF is pretty good.

MOF is a throw back to the older 2d style games. The graphics are still done in 3d (they should have just gone with HD 2d assets, side scrolling anything in 3d is an abortion) but it plays out as a cross between Chi No Rondo (Dracula X) with some Symphony of The Night style exploration elements thrown in. It's not bad at all.

However MOF is party of the trilogy in the current Lords of Shadow universe, which ends with LOS2.

:eek:

You sir just sold me!

I'd give it a look or two on youtube first. It's a 2d scroller that requires you go around and collect various power-ups so you can back track to other areas and get to places you couldn't get to in the first place.

Due to them using 3d instead of 2d sprites, the controls aren't as tight as the 2d games, the plot is a bit of a mess. But it's solid.

Keep in mind that the best Castlevania games post SOTN have all been portable games, the 3d consoles games have largely been disasters.

Keep in mind that the best Castlevania games post SOTN have all been portable games, the 3d consoles games have largely been disasters.

Totally agree with this; they just can't seem to get the formula right on 3d going all the way back to Castlevania 64.

What I would love to see in a 3d Castlevania is SotN styled exploration, leveling, and loot systems paired with Dark Souls combat (enhanced for whip and CV throwables of course).

The graphics are still done in 3d (they should have just gone with HD 2d assets, side scrolling anything in 3d is an abortion) but it plays out as a cross between Chi No Rondo (Dracula X) with some Symphony of The Night style exploration elements thrown in. It's not bad at all.

I would say this isn't true at all. Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite games ever, and it is the purest mix of tight platforming with combat I've ever played.

Mirror of Fate haphazardly combines the God of War style combat from the 3d "castlevanias" (hint: they're not really castlevanias) with a 2d castle to explore. I don't think it even comes close to the classic or Symphony of the Night era castlevanias. The music and graphics are bland, the platforming is loose, and the combat is completely different.

Tried the LoS 2 demo...seems pretty fun. Is this basically what the first LoS was like? I never picked that one up.

Mirror of Fate haphazardly combines the God of War style combat from the 3d "castlevanias" (hint: they're not really castlevanias) with a 2d castle to explore. I don't think it even comes close to the classic or Symphony of the Night era castlevanias. The music and graphics are bland, the platforming is loose, and the combat is completely different.

That's basically how I felt from the demo. Any of the GBA or DS games all felt much better.

20% with this 3MCRLE-CG7AF1-G7T08U code at gmg. 30% if you include the 10% preorder discount. Cant wait :)

Thanks for this. I was going to order it after playing the demo, but Steam charges sales tax for WA state. No taxes on GMG and a bigger discount, no-brainer really.

There is also a disclaimer that keeps insisting I play the game on a gamepad - bitches don't know I beat Dark Souls on keyboard/mouse :eek:

I'd give it a look or two on youtube first. It's a 2d scroller that requires you go around and collect various power-ups so you can back track to other areas and get to places you couldn't get to in the first place.

Due to them using 3d instead of 2d sprites, the controls aren't as tight as the 2d games, the plot is a bit of a mess. But it's solid.

Thoroughly enjoyed Lament of Innocence just as much as SotN. Curse of Darkness isn't as good but does well enough. It's the current "timeline" of Castlevania that I'm not fond of. *shrug* I guess I'm one of the oddballs.

Lament of Innocence was fun but the sense of exploration wasn't really there considering most rooms were just empty boxes.

That's true. SotN has awesome exploration built-in. I haven't played too much of the DS-era games, but they're pretty fun. I'm not the best at playing them though... not after totally rocking SotN oddly enough.

The thing I find frustrating is that the argument that it's hard to translate the Metroidvania style to 3D is no longer valid (and hasn't been ever since Metroid Prime debuted). Even the Batman games, Darksiders or even Dark Souls do a pretty decent job at being exploration-heavy action games. So I'm not sure why Konami is having so much trouble.

I mean, we'll see how Lords of Shadow 2 does it, but I'm getting the impression from interviews and whatnot that it won't be true exploration, instead something more like God of War 3 where you eventually loop back to the starting point and go a different way.

The fact that Konami is no longer developing the LoS series says a lot. They've handed it off & didn't really inject the strong exploration that's so well known with the 2D titles. IMHO Konami fails hard & I don't expect LoS 2 to be all that great. LoS 1 can be fun but it's not the same as the older Castlevanias. I still prefer the older timeline & not this "seperate" canon BS.

The fact that Konami is no longer developing the LoS series says a lot. They've handed it off & didn't really inject the strong exploration that's so well known with the 2D titles. IMHO Konami fails hard & I don't expect LoS 2 to be all that great. LoS 1 can be fun but it's not the same as the older Castlevanias. I still prefer the older timeline & not this "seperate" canon BS.

Couldn't agree more.

Sooooo...

I know everybody has been busy with the Goat Simulator and all, but anyone play this yet? Any real reviews?

There's only been two reviews so far, Game Informer - 6/10 and Edge 4/10. Both complained about the same stuff: horrible forced stealth segments, too much filler content, no hit-stun in combat.

It's not encouraging, especially when both of them scored the first game 9/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Oh that's not good. I am definitely holding off on this game. It was originally on my preorder list but since they are releasing it the same time as thief, it's $60 MSRP and you know they'll DLC it just like the first, I'll wait for a ultimate/complete version. The demo was nice, but I hated certain parts of it like the jumping maze thing with the thing shooting arrows at you. *sigh*

Those initial reviews are really not helping them at all. Makes me want it even less since I also really liked the first LoS.

I actually believe the poor reviews. Based on the demo, something feels completely off about the game. It actually feels like a completely different team tried to replicate the work from the original developers and failed or something. Even the music was nothing special.

One thing that really pissed me off about the combat was how your enemies could hit you while you were hitting them in the middle of a combo. The fuck?

So the first LOS was good? I played the demo and it didn't do anything for me. I'll try it again.

This is what Konami gets for throwing the Castlevania name on another hack-n-slash adventure designed by comittee. Let's hope it doesn't permanently sully the brand, so it can hopefully return to its 2D roots and build on the formula it was laying down on the GBA and DS.

Paging IGA....

Oh, he's locked up in the basement making Kinect games.
Damn you, Konami...

Everytime someone mentions Curse of Darkness, I gag a little...

^What about Curse of Darkness?

Cuz I liked it.

The first LOS was.... decent enough. If you like QTE, it might be better than not. It really isn't that great imo. QTEs are plentiful enough for me to just go "ugh" and they typically copy lots of other games.Climbing titans via shimmying, qte boss fights, just general feeling of meh. But I'm partial for the older CVs, so I'm probably biased.

Back