Castle Story (upcoming game)

P!rate

Move Like a MoFo
Okay, website is this http://www.sauropodstudio.com/ , clicking through their slideshow does a pretty good overview, as the video is 12 minutes long..

From what I've read, mostly through reddit and the like, it's two canadian guys that are creating this game part time, and after a little exposure from reddit they seem to be getting pretty popular. I haven't seen a thread in hardforum yet, so thought I would start one here.

Essentially its a voxel (read block) based game, kind of like mine craft in terms of engine I guess, where you build a castle through little yellow guys. The object of the game is both to build and to protect from invasions. It seems to be really well thought out, and I'm very excited to start playing it.

They have a twitter and facebook, both able to be found on their site.

Notch (creater of minecraft) tweeted about how excited he was to start playing this game.

Ever try Dwarf Fortress with a voxel tileset?

Yeah many people were talking about dwarf fortress and mine craft being the main influences for this game, haven't seen anything about the voxel tile set, but saw DF and didn't really look good to me.

Yeah many people were talking about dwarf fortress and mine craft being the main influences for this game, haven't seen anything about the voxel tile set, but saw DF and didn't really look good to me.

Well, looks aren't the draw, but I'd admit some of the tilesets for the game fit it quite well. Not sure how familiar you are with it, but each tileset is basically a complete graphics overhaul.

It isn't for everyone. It can be extremely hard or push you to OCD levels of micromangement, but I like it. You will have to build and defend mines and fortresses while dealing with any range of madness from within your own territory. I personally like Stonesense for tileset.

Not to derail you, as this could be a fun game to mess around with. If the ui also has keyboard shortcuts, much of my hesitation could be squashed. I like the idea, and the AI + animations look decent.

I guess my question would be how dynamic and reactive is the world? What kind of issues does one face when building and defending a castle in what might not be that friendly of territory?

A hybrid of Minecraft and DF would signal the death of my social life.

I'll have to follow this game, thanks for the heads-up OP.

No problem, I've always wanted to have zombies in mine craft tear down my shit, and finally got my wish. As for dwarf fortress I'll have to check it out, I'm guessing it's a huge time sink and I don't have any time :/

No release date, the fans ATM are asking the developers to release an alpha in the same fashion as minecraft

Yeah, looks like this is gonna make it. Not sure if I want to kick in yet but the concept is intriguing.

Basically looks like a Minecraft RTS. If they do add multiplayer it would be a must-buy for me, but it sounds like that's still a "maybe".

I'm feeling the T-Shirt.

I did ask them if they are going to have multi-player at release but we'll see.

Back