Castle Building Games?

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I was watching some history channel last night, and I was struck with the urge to craft some castles.

Any suggestions for games that let you create castles/villages/kingdoms on different types of terrain?

Something new and sexy looking preferably.

Ideas?

Stronghold from 2001 got a sexy-patch with high resolution support recently. Don't know much about the later installments of the series.

Yeah, there's really nothing new that's worth a crap. Stronghold 2 and 3 were both abysmal, 3 being the worst of the two.

Like tuaarita said, Stronghold HD or Stronghold Crusaders HD (it's sequel) is your best bet, and it still plays well in 2013. Pick it up from GOG for on the cheap!

If you will remember, Age of Empires II almost simulates castle buildings with it's wall system. The newly released HD version of it is worth some time as well. I had forgotten how much I loved that game until giving it another go. Pick it up from Steam.

Enough with the minecraft.

Why "enough"? Minecraft is an excellent game for building purposes, and considering the amount of cobblestone you'll inevitably acquire, you can pretty much build a castle of any shape or size you like.

Anno 1404 (entire medieval villages/cities including castles and keeps and such) is your best bet if you want it modern and sexy looking. Use SMAA injector as well, works good with Anno games.

Why "enough"? Minecraft is an excellent game for building purposes, and considering the amount of cobblestone you'll inevitably acquire, you can pretty much build a castle of any shape or size you like.

It will look like deep fried wookie dicks and take forever, but you can certainly build a castle in Minecraft.

Minecraft just doesn't do it for me, visually or otherwise. I'd rather load up Dwarf Fortress any day of the week. With a good tileset, of course.

Stronghold does indeed kick ass, though.

Problem with MC is that it's just not scale appropriate. In order to get good looking structures you need to severely oversize them so that they at least from a distance appear to look awesome. Once you get close enough you then notice that your castle gate is 957249859272 times taller than your character is. That experience makes it meh.

Stonghold is going to be the best for creating a castle. The third one kinda sucks though, mildly fun if you just load up freeplay and start building though.

Anno 1404, you can build a castle/fortress in it, but I don't think that you will like it as much as Stronghold.

So strong hold 3 has a mode where you can just build.... No story or anything?

I havent played Stronghold 3. Too many bad reviews. Most consider Stronghold 2 and Crusaders to be the best of the series. I think they are both fun. Its a shame # 3 had so many problems. Last I heard Firefly was going to keep fixing it but I'm not sure if they still are or gave up. My understanding is that they should start over again.

Just picked up Stronghold HD. Used to play this a decade ago. Castle building time!

People want to spend their free time building castles? Da fuq/

Its like building a sand castle on the beech...only in your mom's basement where you won't have to worry about that nasty bright thing in the sky ;):D

Yeah, its better than doing criminal things. Criminals probably won't agree with that though. ;)

They made it too cutsey with those little yellow characters IMO but thats just me. :)

I've been waiting for a successor to DF for a while now. Towns didn't strike me, Timber and Stone has serious problems with combat making it pretty unplayable, and Gnomoria has gamebreaking pathing problems. All are still in development though (I think Towns is) so there's hope. T&S isn't, supposedly, going to have a peaceful mode though so here's hoping Castle Story does.

Already hating Castle Story for selling pre-orders at $20. I wouldn't pay $20 for that game if it were on sale for that price. WTF are some of those indie devs thinking is just beyond me, seriously.

Already hating Castle Story for selling pre-orders at $20. I wouldn't pay $20 for that game if it were on sale for that price. WTF are some of those indie devs thinking is just beyond me, seriously.

Those bastards! Selling a preorder for $20! Game looks pretty good to me, since when did indie mean you have to practically give your shit away?!

[L]imey;1039869705 said:
So strong hold 3 has a mode where you can just build.... No story or anything?

Sure does. No invasions unless you specifically go into the menu and set someone to attack or send an invasion. You literally can do that mid game. Want to test your castle that you spent 4 hours building? Send in some bandits.

Those bastards! Selling a preorder for $20! Game looks pretty good to me, since when did indie mean you have to practically give your shit away?!

In marketing there's something called an anchor point. The way it works is that the industry sets a common price for something consumers then get used to, like $60 for an AAA game, so that when the same AAA game sells for $30 everything thinks it's an awesome deal, even though $29 are pure profit (exaggerated for dramatic effect).

In the indie world $20 for a game is imho above the anchor point of $12-$15, so I personally don't perceive $20 for a pre-order as a good deal since I fully expect this game to end up in a $1.29 Steam Sale before too long.

In marketing there's something called an anchor point. The way it works is that the industry sets a common price for something consumers then get used to, like $60 for an AAA game, so that when the same AAA game sells for $30 everything thinks it's an awesome deal, even though $29 are pure profit (exaggerated for dramatic effect).

In the indie world $20 for a game is imho above the anchor point of $12-$15, so I personally don't perceive $20 for a pre-order as a good deal since I fully expect this game to end up in a $1.29 Steam Sale before too long.

Agreed. I think some indie developers saw the boom in indie popularity and are starting to get a little greedy. Part of the reason they've been so successful was the low price points, because let's be real, these are not AAA-quality titles we're talking about here.

$20 is high for an indie title when I generally will pay $25-30 for a AAA-title on release, either through online sales, FS/FT, etc.

That said, Castle Story does look like fun and I'd be happy to pay $10 or so for it if it ends up being good.

Such nonsense. If you think $20 for an indie game is too expensive you are part of the larger problem in the gaming industry. Idiots willing to pay $60 for generic rehashed crap like Call of duty and madden games but $20 for a quality looking indie game is too much?

Seriously? Plus i would say your anchor point theory dont hold shit for water when the most popular indie game in the last decade is $27.

Such nonsense. If you think $20 for an indie game is too expensive you are part of the larger problem in the gaming industry. Idiots willing to pay $60 for generic rehashed crap like Call of duty and madden games but $20 for a quality looking indie game is too much?

Seriously? Plus i would say your anchor point theory dont hold shit for water when the most popular indie game in the last decade is $27.

Yes, but the most popular game also sold a fuckton at the $10 point long before the price increase... It wasn't always $27 - Matter of fact, as much as I like the game, I could never see myself paying that much for it. I got it at $10 or so, perfect price for me.

Yes, but the most popular game also sold a fuckton at the $10 point long before the price increase... It wasn't always $27 - Matter of fact, as much as I like the game, I could never see myself paying that much for it. I got it at $10 or so, perfect price for me.

Thats all very true but it still sells strong at its current price point. They just hit 10 million total sales on PC alone last month.

It was $27 for 2012 and during 2012 they still made $240 million.

So yeah, it sold a lot while in alpha and beta (My copy was about $5) but this whole notion that indie = $15 or less is nonsense. If people are willing to pay $27 for a piece of shit java game with graphics that make quake 1 look good and performance issues up the wazoo for what it is $20 for a quality indie game is not unrealistic.

Thats all very true but it still sells strong at its current price point. They just hit 10 million total sales on PC alone last month.

It was $27 for 2012 and during 2012 they still made $240 million.

That's because:

1) There is a TON more content in Minecraft since Alpha

2) There is a TON of user-created content, including mods, maps, adventure levels, etc. etc.

I don't think many people (myself included) would have been paying $20+ for Minecraft during Alpha.

That's because:

1) There is a TON more content in Minecraft since Alpha

2) There is a TON of user-created content, including mods, maps, adventure levels, etc. etc.

I don't think many people (myself included) would have been paying $20+ for Minecraft during Alpha.

All that has what to do with anything? Its still an indie game and according to these guys its still overpriced. The point is saying "Well its indie so its not worth $20" is really stupid. You can make arguments all day long but if you dont think a quality game is worth $20 because its not published by EA or Activision then you are a large part of whats wrong in the gaming industry.

The game looks good, too little games in this genre. 20$ seems fair. If it doesn't for you, don't buy it.

Or, skip your next quad frappicino, whale sperm latte and decide what to do with all your new disposable income.

All that has what to do with anything? Its still an indie game and according to these guys its still overpriced. The point is saying "Well its indie so its not worth $20" is really stupid. You can make arguments all day long but if you dont think a quality game is worth $20 because its not published by EA or Activision then you are a large part of whats wrong in the gaming industry.

It has everything to do with this. Content = value. So far I see very little content in this game, certainly not enough to warrant a $20 purchase IMO. Yet they are charging that for a pre-order.

Of course it is your opinion that it's worth $20 but you can go and look at dozens of other examples of games, indie and otherwise, that have released at a lower price point and appear to have much more content than this game.

Lol @ your EA/Activision quip...talk about having nothing to do with anything.

It has everything to do with this. Content = value. So far I see very little content in this game, certainly not enough to warrant a $20 purchase IMO. Yet they are charging that for a pre-order.

Of course it is your opinion that it's worth $20 but you can go and look at dozens of other examples of games, indie and otherwise, that have released at a lower price point and appear to have much more content than this game.

Lol @ your EA/Activision quip...talk about having nothing to do with anything.

You're not even on the same fucking page here. You quoted my response to someone else who said nothing about content value simply that it's not worth $20 for an indie game... Also why are people getting hung up on pre-order price? Since when is the pre-order price and the release price different?

Also, content in this case is a misnomer. The object of the game is for you to create your own content. Claiming it does not have the content to justify the cost is pretty silly.

And last off all why on earth would you judge the value of a game based on perceived content amounts or who published it? It's really simple, ask yourself will I get $20 worth of entertainment out if it? That's what matters, not a list of so called content, not who made it.

I don't get people anymore. With so much garbage being churned out left and right for $60 with inevitable dlc and Bullshit how can you look at this game and say "not worth $20".

But hey I guess a small castle building game with endless possibilities for building, pve battles and PVP multiplayer is just not enough content for $20.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
When it came to the stronghold games, I never really built a castle. I built funnel that the enemies had to go through to get to my base. that funnel was lined with archers and then I sold the stairs so they couldnt be reached. It made it more of a tower defense than castle building.

I wonder if the AI will be any smarter in castle story. OH HEY THERE"S A HOLE IN THEIR DEFENSES ALREADY, LET ME WEAVE THROUGH 7 WALLS LINED WITH ARCHERS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TO BREAK DOWN A WALL TO GET THERE. Fun times

Back