casting netflix from cell

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a product that will let you cast your youtube/netflix streams to the tv without having to have a home wifi/broadband connection? Looks like google cast needs a wifi router to work. What we are aiming for is to be able to stream youtube and netflix off of the cellular data (not via hotspot on cell phone) I'm guessing it would prefer to communicate with the device with wifi for the bandwidth as i'm pretty sure bluetooth is slow as hell. Which would pose as a problem I think as the phone won't let you turn on wifi and use cellular data as well ....

Any ideas? I'm trying to help my parents. They qualify for dsl, but only 1.5mbps and it would run over old lines that aren't even data friendly and att doesnt' seem interested in adding a few poles so they could run said newer lines and for some reason the question of burying the line just doesn't seem to appeal the deathstar either... So.. They are caught inbetween a rock and a hard place, but they do have att unlimited (22gig high speed then 128k) and would be very interested in utilizing that if possible as the 10gigs of hotspot data is desperately reserved for schooling needs.

Help?

Sounds like what you're asking for isnt possible as it needs to be on wifi. You might be able to try tethering to a laptop (or raspberry pi) and use the laptop wifi as an access point and run both phone and chromecast off that wifi connection, but I think tethering is considered a hotspot in the eyes of the cell company, but im not sure. That might be something to look into.

Buy a Firestick and use your phones hotspot feature is about all I can think of.

I am not positive, but I believe you can airdrop (that may not be the right feature) via iOS device to an apple TV without wifi..

Sorry for the late reply (busy as hell for some reason, and sickness). What i'm pondering is, Netflix will let us download a show/movie to view offline.. If chromecast needs wifi to communicate to the phone for the casting, couldn't the downloaded show on the netflix app be casted then without needing internet? I wish I had one in my possession to play with, it just seems like it should work. But maybe there's a variable i'm not thinking of.. Even if she took said cell phone to a wifi hotspot somewhere, downloaded a show through netflix, I wonder how it could be viewed on the tv, it should all be legal as you are paying the netflix sub and all...

Sorry for the late reply (busy as hell for some reason, and sickness). What i'm pondering is, Netflix will let us download a show/movie to view offline.. If chromecast needs wifi to communicate to the phone for the casting, couldn't the downloaded show on the netflix app be casted then without needing internet? I wish I had one in my possession to play with, it just seems like it should work. But maybe there's a variable i'm not thinking of.. Even if she took said cell phone to a wifi hotspot somewhere, downloaded a show through netflix, I wonder how it could be viewed on the tv, it should all be legal as you are paying the netflix sub and all...

That's not how Netflix works on Chromecast. The downloaded piece would not be sent from the device to the Chromecast. Chromecast would launch Netflix app and try to reach Netflix through the Internet and stream that way. Things like YouTube and Hulu work the same way.

What you can do is load up videos on the phone and use an app like AllCast to stream from the device to the Chromecast via a WiFi connection.

That's not how Netflix works on Chromecast. The downloaded piece would not be sent from the device to the Chromecast. Chromecast would launch Netflix app and try to reach Netflix through the Internet and stream that way. Things like YouTube and Hulu work the same way.

What you can do is load up videos on the phone and use an app like AllCast to stream from the device to the Chromecast via a WiFi connection.

Yeah, its looking like the whole concept of "mirror" what is on your phone to the tv is just a bunch of crap... :-/ I was excited for technology, but oh well

Yeah, its looking like the whole concept of "mirror" what is on your phone to the tv is just a bunch of crap... :-/ I was excited for technology, but oh well

My phone can do that. I can share my screen to the TV via Chromecast. Screen Sharing is built in by LG on their devices. But screen sharing like that has it's own problems when it comes to video playback. Lag, battery drain is insane, sound out of sync sometimes. I don't like doing it that for video. It's easier to use Allcast or something similar.

My phone can do that. I can share my screen to the TV via Chromecast. Screen Sharing is built in by LG on their devices. But screen sharing like that has it's own problems when it comes to video playback. Lag, battery drain is insane, sound out of sync sometimes. I don't like doing it that for video. It's easier to use Allcast or something similar.

Alrighty, guess that pretty much puts that one in the coffin then.. Least for now anyways.. Thanks for your input man

Back