Caseking to Sell Core i7-8700K with 99% Silver Heatspreader

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some retailers are already offering pre-binned i7-8700K CPUs, some of which even come delidded, but German etailer Caseking is going even further: their supply will not only be pre-binned up to 5.2 GHz but also come delidded with new heat spreader made of 99.9% silver. This guarantees the best overclocking potential.

At Facebook, Der8auer already published a picture of the first batch of new heat spreaders. These will replace stock IHS and also stock TIM with liquid metal. He also confirmed that they are working on LGA2066 heat spreader as well (that may actually be even a more important news story than LGA1151). There is no availability date yet, but Roman seems very responsive to the comments, so keep your eyes at the thread on Facebook.

I would guess it’s because this is not for people looking for value for money, it’s for people who want to overclock to the highest clock speeds for bragging rights.

Didn't someone make sterling silver heatsinks back in the Athlon XP days?

I think it's for people who overclock as a hobby. Not for the increased performance.
Right, but doesn't oc'ing as a hobby include delidding, etc.?

If you just buy someone else's project might as well just buy a chip, imo

With that in mind, I wonder if they'll sell silver heatspreaders? The cost far outweighs the benefits, but would be cool.

There's a very good reason why copper is the gold standard. The cooling benefit of silver over copper is small but the cost increase is huge.

It wouldn't really matter for me. I'd rather buy a pre-delidded chip that's pre binned than do it and fuck it up.

Please tick the box that most represents your jimmies at the time of posting:
[ ] Rustled
[ ] Un-rustled

Rustled. Always.

How about a value edition that is a copper heatspreader plated with silver?

mmm

I just don't think it is a lot more than marketing speak

CaseKing claims 8 to 12 degrees better temps than using a normal IHS

running a 7600K without an IHS gave Kyle at best 5 degrees, and having direct contact would be obviously superior to anything in between, no matter out of what material

that said
if one wants a prebinned CPU I prefer CaseKing, or rather der8auer, CPU's over Silicon Lottery

CaseKing ist testing with Prime (albeit without AVX), Silicon Lottery "only" with Asus RealBench which is just easier to pass

if you get one from CaseKing chances are that you might eek out even more frequency by using Silicon Lottery standards

How about a value edition that is a copper heatspreader plated with silver?
if you are for real, what would that do?

also doesn't silver need to be treated in a way to make it not oxidize?
maybe plated again with Nickel, like the original IHS?

the most value edition for 5.2 is "only" 300€ more

I would say its the rarity of those chips reliably hitting 5.2, with the work of binning them + profit that is making the price go up

usually the water cooling blocks that are made out of silver are "only" a 100 bucks more than the copper counterparts

I'd rather they keep the stock IHS, but put Indium solder under it, like in the olden days.

I can see someone who wants to throw away a college loan or house refinance into a incredibly over priced system to get a few mor megahertz, but for myself.... Opening a fresh box and testing the limits of my chip(s) is the fun in the game.

I think pre-binned (custom IHS) chips are for (might banned) achievement nuts.

I have won a few placement cups in my time from stock card and chip racing but .... Dang.

Someone selling a chip that has its limits already known seems like the adventure has been removed.

I have a very diffrent take on the effort being the reward. Not a popular viewpoint I imagine.

I'd prefer a Platinum spreader (or if I must cheap out, then Gold), but silver just screams broke ass nerd.
Member when overclocking wasn't the privilege of the rich, but a means for the not so wealthy to still get decent performance?
Yup. I honestly don't get the appeal anymore. It made total sense in the Celeron days. That said, I always end up getting the unlocked processor, just in case I get the urge (which I realize is dumb).

Perhaps to you.
maxresdefault.jpg

You just can't put a value on e-peen!

Why would it be EPEEN if it is the best for gaming? I am not going to buy one but, then again, I prefer AMD anyways, at least for my personal machines.

mmm

I just don't think it is a lot more than marketing speak

CaseKing claims 8 to 12 degrees better temps than using a normal IHS

running a 7600K without an IHS gave Kyle at best 5 degrees, and having direct contact would be obviously superior to anything in between, no matter out of what material

That isn't exactly accurate. The die is still relatively small and would likely not contact all the heatpipes (in the case of air) and would only use a small contact area of a water block. I don't think silver's thermal conductivity is high enough to solve this problem, but there is a better way that would be better than direct contact...
How about instead of using silver, replace the IHS with an appropriate sized vapor chamber. The thermal properties would far exceed any non-superconductor metal, and might even cost less.

Silver is about $203/lb and Cu is about $2.93 equating to a cost 60 times higher for a thermal conductivity of roughly 6% better, and the cost of mass produced vapor chambers shouldn't be that out of line.

With that in mind, I wonder if they'll sell silver heatspreaders? The cost far outweighs the benefits, but would be cool.

There's a very good reason why copper is the gold standard. The cooling benefit of silver over copper is small but the cost increase is huge.
429 w/m.k vs 401 w/m.k if they used diamond it would be 900-2300 w/m.k

Now, now... silver is for the middle class.

Gold! Now, gold.... 24k gold. That's for the rich!
Gold is worse than copper...
top 10 literally goes
1. Diamond
2. Diamond
3. Diamond
4. Diamond
5. Diamond
6. Silver
7. Copper
8. Gold
9. Beryllium
10. Aluminium

Last edited:
Prices don't seem that out of line, especially when you consider the stock tray i7-8700k is selling for €399.90. You can get the 5.0 GHz Ultra edition for €689.90, looks like they charge an extra €110 for the silver heat spreader versus getting the Pro edition with the honed and polished stock heat spreader which is €60 more than the Advanced Edition with the stock heat spreader.

When you just look at their advanced edition binned chips with the heat spreader removed and new TIM applied and reassembled, then prime tested with the voltages specified, it's only an extra €40 for a 4.8 GHz chip. That's a lot of work for an extra €40 which includes a 2 year warranty and phone support.

429 w/m.k vs 401 w/m.k if they used diamond it would be 900-2300 w/m.k

Gold is worse than copper...
top 10 literally goes
1. Diamond
2. Diamond
3. Diamond
4. Diamond
5. Diamond
6. Silver
7. Copper
8. Gold
9. Beryllium
10. Aluminium

Whoa... I didn't know diamond was that good a heat conductor.
And I really believed goldwas a better heat conductor. The things you learn the [H]ard way!!!
I'll go to bed a lesser jackass tonight.

One thing about gold though, if it works for toilets it should work for a headspreader, if it beats your TIM thermal conductivity.

You have to be kidding me. $1k for that cpu? Wonder how much the 7980xe is going to cost. $5k? Lol

There's a very good reason why copper is the gold standard.

If Copper is the Gold Standard, I'd guess that Aluminum is the Silver standard, and Silver is the Platinum standard.

And Diamond is the...Diamond Standard.

Gotta level up our IHS ELO :wideyed:

If Copper is the Gold Standard, I'd guess that Aluminum is the Silver standard, and Silver is the Platinum standard.

And Diamond is the...Diamond Standard.

Gotta level up our IHS ELO :wideyed:
The problem is alloys are not accounted for the silver rating of 429 is for 99.99% silver. As is the copper of 99% for 401

Sterling silver is only ~90% silver typically copper is added.

It is hard to say how this affects the thermal properties. Silver copper and gold are commonly alloyed in varying percentages to make white yellow or rose gold. Copper and gold mixed is rose gold such alloy might work better. Or worse gold is used to coat contacts due to how readily it alloys with copper and resists corrosion. Gold does not readily oxidize or corrode.

There are three factors that matter.
Thermal conductivity = how well heat soaks into the metal
Electrical conductivity = how well electrcity moves through the material
Emissive factor = how well thermal energy leaves the material.

Diamond - extremely high thermal conductivity
Low to almost no electrical conductvity
I dont know how well diamond radiates heat

Copper - high thermal and electrical ok emissive quality.

Aluminum - decent thermal and electrical high emissive.

The ideal for an air heatsink is copper into aluminum. Vapor chambers and heatpipes are supposed to be higher than copper it is made from. Water is best served by copper or silver.

Diamond very hard to do anything with it can barely be cut and it is hard and brittle.

Last edited:
So apparently the new get rich quick scheme is going to be buying a bunch of new cpu's delis them throw a guess at what oc you can get and charge 3x the normal price... the business of milking sheep is incredible lol

Back