Case Stumped on New Build

trixdout

n00b
After a 7yr hiatus, I'm baaaaaaaaack!!! :whistle:

My old build was simple and first ever: CM 690 Classic, P5K, Q6600, 8800GT, 4gb DDR2 circa 2006 :love:

Now I'm on to building a new system. Parts are getting expensive comparatively to my first build. considering inflation and all, still seems high. :unsure:

Already got a Aorus Master Z390, i9-9900K. :cool:

Next parts to get are 2080 XC Hybrid (w/ water cooling block/fan), 32gb ram, Corsair H150i, in the long run go with an added 320mm res plus another res with a d5 pump. (getting these parts slowly, as fast as I can put some money aside);)

SO the point of this thread is to figure out what case I should get to utilize all this with expansion to more gpu's and more water cooling.

The following is what I'm interested in: Corsair 680x, Raijintek Paean, Thermaltake P5, Corsair Obsidian.

Can anyone recommend one of these or something else with what I need? Looking for some direction.

Not a fan of any of those, so I'm guessing I can't help. That said, welcome back to building. lol
I've been a fan of nzxt cases. I had a few good experiences with their CS/RMA dept. I tried to look up something made by them that matches the style of the ones you listed and nothing really seemed to fit.

The p5 is too much glass for me, but if you're going for a show build. It'll be pretty.
The 680x looks like an indecisive case between glass and not glass.
I know nothing about the Raij brand, but like the p5, too much glass for me, but not enough (open sides) so it reminds me of Tt wall mounted case.

The obsidian is an outlier here. I like it, but it seems to be pulling away from the others you picked so it feels "too safe" if you are planning something decorative.

I think we would need to know the ultimate goal here. What are you wanting once you are "done" aka have bought all the GPUs and water cooling. Total number of GPUs is going to determine the number/size of radiators, so it really goes hand in hand. There are plenty of cases out there that would fit your current build, but may not expand well for what you will eventually have.

It would also be handy to know what you are looking for aesthetically. Tempered glass or no? Open case or mid tower? Your current list of cases has both.

With that being said, take a look at Phanteks, something like the Evolv X. I have never built in it, but I dig the looks and you can get a decent water cooling setup in there.

I have built in the Corsair 500D and really enjoyed it. Can easily fit a 360 + a 280 or 240 radiator in there. I simply put a 360 AIO in there, but room wise there was plenty.

I think we would need to know the ultimate goal here. What are you wanting once you are "done" aka have bought all the GPUs and water cooling. Total number of GPUs is going to determine the number/size of radiators, so it really goes hand in hand. There are plenty of cases out there that would fit your current build, but may not expand well for what you will eventually have.

It would also be handy to know what you are looking for aesthetically. Tempered glass or no? Open case or mid tower? Your current list of cases has both.

With that being said, take a look at Phanteks, something like the Evolv X. I have never built in it, but I dig the looks and you can get a decent water cooling setup in there. Best part is its not really expensive and falls within budget I set for the case.

I have built in the Corsair 500D and really enjoyed it. Can easily fit a 360 + a 280 or 240 radiator in there. I simply put a 360 AIO in there, but room wise there was plenty.
I started looking for cases and coincidently found the Phanteks Evolv X and fell in love with it.

I want to be able to expand to an additional gpu and water cool both gpu's and cpu. Currently thinking of going with the corsair H150i for my aoi cooler for the 9900k. Don't think I'll be doing much of any overclocking of it for now (been reading a bunch on these i9-9900k and they aren't the most popular oc'ed cpu's).

Bitfenix Shogun is nice it's what I'm using used to have a Coolermaster Enforcer before that I like the Shogun because I can place my speaker and alarm clock and cell phone on top of it. It has room for like 6 HDD drives or 10 SSDs I think if you put two in the back. IF I had to do it over I probably would of gone with one of the newer coolermaster cases because of the better air flow.

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/eatx/shogun/

Last edited:
Back