Case mod services (the opposite of DIY)

cyberkost

[H]F Junkie
I think I'm not the only one in this situation: want to do a fairly straightforward case mod, e.g., a blowhole or a window, but don't have the tools that may be needed to do it properly*. Getting the tools, e.g., a CNC machine, a laser cutter or even something much-much cheaper, is just not justified given the scope of the mod. I'd imagine that for some lack of skill or confidence may also be at play.

* by properly I mean that it looks as if it was done at the factory. Not to offend those who make case windows with dremel in their hands, but I fail to see how this approach leads to a really straight cut that does not need to be hidden with rubber molding of some kind.

Thinking specifically of
  • side panel window
  • top/bottom blowhole
  • anodizing
what are the best places one can send one's case (or parts of) for a mod? Are there such places (mnpctech.com has "mod services" but there isn't much info) at all? What are the typical prices for these services?

I'd appreciate if anyone with actual experience could provide info. It would also be great, if someone who has made case modding his profession (I believe we have a few folks like that here) and is willing to take an occasional order would reply to advertise his services.

Omerta, can you describe the mods cyberdruid did on your case? Do you have pics? I checked the link you posted, but was not able to find a list of services or work samples. .. or should I just get in touch with cyberdruid on the specific mods I'm thinking of?

i would suggest investing in one of these....... good for quick fixes around the home/appt...ect.... shop around though and find a good deal....

as for cutting out the aforementioned blow hole...... well thats up to you......

cheers...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I'm not the only one in this situation: want to do a fairly straightforward case mod, e.g., a blowhole or a window, but don't have the tools that may be needed to do it properly*. Getting the tools, e.g., a CNC machine, a laser cutter or even something much-much cheaper, is just not justified given the scope of the mod. I'd imagine that for some lack of skill or confidence may also be at play.

* by properly I mean that it looks as if it was done at the factory. Not to offend those who make case windows with dremel in their hands, but I fail to see how this approach leads to a really straight cut that does not need to be hidden with rubber molding of some kind.

Thinking specifically of
  • side panel window
  • top/bottom blowhole
  • anodizing

what are the best places one can send one's case (or parts of) for a mod? Are there such places (mnpctech.com has "mod services" but there isn't much info) at all? What are the typical prices for these services?

I'd appreciate if anyone with actual experience could provide info. It would also be great, if someone who has made case modding his profession (I believe we have a few folks like that here) and is willing to take an occasional order would reply to advertise his services.

well if u want to do something as simple as a side window and not use any kind of edging.....good luck. you will be paying alot of money to have someone lasercut a window. add to that you will have to repaint the door, which you wont ever colormatch, which means youll have to redo the whole case so it matches. youre talking at least $30-45/hr plus the stuff. and good luck getting any kind of guarantees in the work if youre super fussy and dont like something 100%, which im guessing may be an issue. btw edging on the window isnt only there to cover up small screwups, although it does hide some imperfections, its also there for aesthetics and to ensure the edge is clean. as for the blowholes.....it really depends on what u mean by a blowhole size and shape wise, but again, some sort of edging will be necessary unless your covering it up with something else.

you do not need $1000 in tools to do the mods you're wanting. im sure between the network of friends you have someone must have some tools and experience using them. if youre nervous about cutting the side window, get a junked old case and practise cutting the side panel out, you have 2 chances to get it right. thers plenty of vids online that show you how to do mods like this.

If you desire very straight, clean cuts. The easiest way to get them is to use a guide. Clamp your panel to a workbench, then clamp down a 2x4 or other straight edge along the line you want to cut so that your cutting tool can just slide along the guide as it cuts. Works quite well.

As for dremeling.. the secret to dremeling properly is to sketch out the final lines onto your material, and then KNOW WHEN TO STOP. you get much better results if you do the last half a millimeter with emery cloth or a file, rather than try to get exactly what you want with the dremel.

To Thaltek:
Perhaps there are folks out there who can do a perfect job with dremel ... I have to say though that most of the dremel cuts I've seen at [H] and elsewhere do not have "factory" look and need to be covered with rubber, hidden by grills, etc. While I am rather handy with equipment, I don't think I'll be able to achieve the "factory" look I'm after, hence "the opposite of DIY" in the title of this thread.

To Rogue71:
I have to admit I am somewhat a perfectionist, but the thread is not about me or my concrete modding needs (though that's what I chose as an example). The thread is about how one gets access to equipment and, in some cases, skills that will give the mods more "factory" look. My situation is such that equipment and setup costs plus time requirements (not just the work itself, but practice too) most likely justifies paying somebody to do the mods. Please delete one of your two identical posts.

To Yuritau:
I thought of getting a dremel set and doing the cuts myself for a while, but I was not able to convince myself that I'd be able to achieve what I want with hand-held tools even with the aid of guides, etc. Plus, along the lines above, it seems that between time and equipment needed I can be better off paying a pro do it.

Last edited:
vjcsmoke, thanks. I see that CrazyPC has a bunch of pre-made panels for Lian-Li PC-6X ... the question is -- will they custom made a window on a Lian-Li that is not PC-6X? I guess I'll have to e-mail them ...

I was listening to The Mod Brother's podcast and they mentioned eMachineShop. Their prices seem to be really low and they offer all the CNC services.

Modding voids your warranty. Who would want to do such a thing?

there is no such thing as a perfect case. thus every single case has reasons for mods.

i took my brand new antec 1200 and cut a big hole in the side panel. it now looks alot better than the factory panel. thats why.

To Rogue71:
I have to admit I am somewhat a perfectionist, but the thread is not about me or my concrete modding needs (though that's what I chose as an example). The thread is about how one gets access to equipment and, in some cases, skills that will give the mods more "factory" look. My situation is such that equipment and setup costs plus time requirements (not just the work itself, but practice too) most likely justifies paying somebody to do the mods. Please delete one of your two identical posts.

in the end when u pay for what you want id be interested in seeing a total cost and the end result pictures.

the 2nd post was a board glitch..

one thing people seem to look for a lot is powdercoating. if you end up there, this guy does it for a good price. still expensive though. :)

Still want a professionally made window (at least a cut for one) on the side panel of my Lian-Li A05 ... any recommendations / pointers?

Back