Case for mini-itx build, been away for a long time

jag88

n00b
So, for a bit of background, I used to be a super active member on here from like 2001-2009 or so but I fell out of the hobby for a long time and can't seem to locate my login deets, so I started a new account... anyway.

My last build was a Core 2 quad with dual HD 4850s... and I sold it ages ago, shows how long I have been away. Since then I have only built servers for work related tasks, and I more or less became a console gamer so I just had no need for a big, hard core gaming machine anymore.

However! Now with 4k TV's so cheap and VR right around the corner, I am super stoked to get back into the fold! So time to start planning a new system...

I will be building a mini-itx system for my living room. I intend to go full water cooling (cpu and video card), this is for overclocking and noise reduction, and because I am a perfectionist when I build anything, this will be a work of art... water cooling is clutch to that as far as I am concerned (don't judge me).

TL;DR

Right now I haven't even decided on a case (I plan to build this one slowly)... I have been scouring the web for a few days but there are just so many on the market that theres no way I could find them all.

The closest thing I have found to what I am looking for is the NZXT Manta case. I like almost everything about this case, it comes in white (love white), it has room for dual 280mm rads (that's just cray for mini-itx), and it has a window to show the nifty bits.

My only complaint with this case, and it is *almost a deal breaker is the aesthetics. It looks like someone threw a cherry bomb in it and blew out the sides... it is kinda hideous (no offense to anyone who has one). If it had the same minimalist style as the NZXT S340 white I would be 110% sold on it.

So my question is, I am looking for something similar to the NZXT Manta but with a more boxy shape... any thoughts or suggestions? :D

looks like this needs to be moved actually, I didn't realize there were specific sub-forums under case modding. If a mod sees this please move to the build logs forum. Thanks in advance!

Are the case dimensions good? If you are looking at something that large, why not go m-atx and give your self some room on the board for sli/xfire and/or 4dimm slots to name a few perks over itx.

Are you looking to have room for 2x 280mm rads as a must or is that a plus? How much modding are you willing/wanting to do?

The below are just cases that looked to have room to fit multiple rads with little modification.

What about a Phanteks PH-ES215P_WT?

Or

APEVIA X-QPACK3-WHT (not sure about blue window (easily changed) or honeycomb front though)

And to the modding comment. This leaves you with a lot more options if your will to do some modding. I have a Node 304 (in white if you can find one) with a 980 and 4770K cooled by a 280mm rad.

I'm probably going to build a new gaming rig later this year, and so far the black/red Manta is in the lead for me. It's a bit big for mITX, but you have plenty of room for all-in-one watercooling solutions. Plus the case is sexy as hell.

The Phanteks is a nice-looking case, but research suggests it has subpar cooling. My other possible cases are the AeroCool DS-Cube and Corsair 250D. I'm still leaning toward the Manta though.

I love my 250D. I have a H100i and a full size video card in it and I still have plenty of room for cable management.

I love the new NXT case ... i recently saw a kickstarter tho .. its called Dune Case and looks AWSOME .. what do you guys think as mini ITX build

i recently saw a kickstarter tho .. its called Dune Case and looks AWSOME .. what do you guys think as mini ITX build
Elegant in its own way (like anything Apple), but probably not appealing to most computer enthusiasts. The front panel has a power plug in it. I don't like that at all.

CaseLabs Nova X2M

I would recommend the S3, but they discontinued it. I own two CL cases, and I love them. Build quality trumps them all; aluminum, no rivets, and a ton of configurable options.

My only complaint is the 5-6 weeks lead time., but your patience is rewarded.

Elegant in its own way (like anything Apple), but probably not appealing to most computer enthusiasts. The front panel has a power plug in it. I don't like that at all.

That what got me interesting in the case .. it looks elegant and I really cant find anything like it on the market that is similar or even the same quality build. Is there anything else on the market that looks similar im interested if there is....

CaseLabs Nova X2M

I would recommend the S3, but they discontinued it. I own two CL cases, and I love them. Build quality trumps them all; aluminum, no rivets, and a ton of configurable options.

My only complaint is the 5-6 weeks lead time., but your patience is rewarded.

I saw the S3 case by caselabs but its not appealing to me .. but yes the build quality of aluminum and no rivets is a plus .. but i was looking for a small form factor pc that was stylish and didnt look like every other case on the market .. thats what drawed my attention to the case

I was actually recommending the X2M, as it is currently available, but I can understand the CL aesthetic is not for everyone. You might check out Enthoo Evolo iTX or the IN WIN 901, both have fared pretty well under review and have a nice aesthetic. Plus, the cost is significantly lower than a CL case.

yeah i really like the IN WIN 901 ... its some how simple in design but the materials used doesnt look appealing ... besides the CL do you think there is something with the quality materials with simplistic design???

I snagged corsair 380t off CL for $25 two days ago. the room is pretty spacious for mini itx.

I had my rig in the Corsair 250D, Nice because it fits full size everything, two 3.5" HDD's, two SSD slots, space for water cooling, etc. I recently transferred my rig into an EVGA Hadron Hydro case and I love it. Can fit an H100 water cooler in it no problem too.

Back