case for i7 system and 8800 gtx.

maverick0817

Limp Gawd
Im building an i7 system with an evga x58 le, i7 920, and a 8800 gtx. Im looking for a case that is going to have room for the video card. I was looking at the antec sonata III because it was around $110 with a power supply. I have heard mixed things whether or not the video card will fit in the case. Any recommendations would be great help.
Thanks

Well if you are gonna run an i7 I would recommend not skimping on the PSU by using one that comes with the case, I have had nothing but problems with the antec PSUs that come with their cases. I would suggest getting something to the tune of a P193 and buying a PSU seperate. I have a P180 and it fit my 8800GT just fine, except there is 1 HDD bay that was unusable due to the connectors butting up against the end of the card. If you want a case that will actually fit all of it and not be super snug I would say go with a full tower. But, the Antec Super Mid Tower series is nice and unless you absolutely have to run all 6 HDD bays it's a good buy, I promise.

Well if you are gonna run an i7 I would recommend not skimping on the PSU by using one that comes with the case...

Agree with M0rph3us. There are a ton of cases out there... so if you're looking for a "buget" steel case then the Cooler Master RC 690 is fantastic as it has room for full length video cards and it looks nice. Are you gonna be water cooling down the road? If not then a newer mid tower is probably the form factor that will have the options it sounds like you're looking for. Also, the Lancool PC-K56 looks like it has some good cable management holes. Do you have a budget in mind?

im definitely interested in that cooler master case. Looks great. Any recommendations on power supply, I will be running the i7 920, 8800 gtx, 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, 3x2gb's of ram. Im trying to stay in the $150 dollar range with case and power supply.

Would definitely give the Storm Scout / Silent Master 600W combo a serious consideration. If you don't, then I would recommend a modular power supply. Since it doesn't sound like you will have a ton of hardware it will help in tidying up a fangled mess of unused cables. I really like the Corsair HX 520 and right now its $109 / $69 after MIR. The Corsair brand is excellent for power supplies and carry a great warranty.

I really like my Antec 902. Its roomy, and attractive. Has really good air flow too. Fits my large 260gtx just fine, so a 8800 would be no prob. I got it for $110 at Microcenter...so prolly a lil more then you want to spend. There's always the Antec 900. About 20 cheaper lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im more than likely going to pick up a coolermaster case and power supply of some kind.

Back