Case fan question (Thermaltake A1214 80mm smart case fan)

Swede88

Lurker
I've noticed this fan has a regular 3 pin power connector, but it also has another single cord connector. I've heard that it might be a tachometer?

I'm just curious of two things with this fan. One, does the tachometer need to be plugged in for the temperature regulation to work? And if so, where does it get plugged into?

(I'm asking this because my buddy says the fans are blowing full speed when he boots up, but that little connector, supposedly the tachometer, is unconnected in his comp)

Bedpan Commando said:
I've noticed this fan has a regular 3 pin power connector, but it also has another single cord connector. I've heard that it might be a tachometer?

I'm just curious of two things with this fan. One, does the tachometer need to be plugged in for the temperature regulation to work? And if so, where does it get plugged into?

(I'm asking this because my buddy says the fans are blowing full speed when he boots up, but that little connector, supposedly the tachometer, is unconnected in his comp)

Single cord connector?

I'm thinking that the 3pin connector you are thinking about has a red and black wire running into it, and the other connector has a single yellow wire running to it? If so... the 3pin connector with the black and red wires is for your power, and the one with the yellow is for fan speed monitoring... thats the only thing that makes sense. I've seen it on a 120mm thermaltake fan that I have. But the power lead was a 4pin molex instead of a 3pin.

Back