Cascading an hdmi 2.0a splitter to a selector switch without dropouts?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by markm75, Mar 15, 2017.

1. markm75

markm75 Gawd

I have a Smartooo Splitter.. splitting a ps4 pro (all of these cables are short 6-9 footers and rated 18gbps and 4k etc).. (this model splitter so far was the only one that seemed to even work)

From that splitter i send the output to a 3 or 5 port version hdmi selector switch (tried both same issue) as an input.

The output of that selector then goes to my Vizio M70-c3 tv's hdmi 5 port.

In doing this, randomly over the course of minutes the screen goes black, audio continues but the screen goes black (i use ARC for the audio).

I asked the vendor of the selector switch if there is a fix and they say there isnt, their engineers dont advise cascading.

I have used splitters in the past when going directly to my 1030 receiver as the video switcher.. but it seems in using one of these 3rd party switchers there is an issue..

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with a combo like this and particularly for HDR/hdmi 2.0a and higher and which combo of splitter/hdmi selector works.

I'm thinking of trying this selector switch.. one of the few i can find that is at least hdmi 2.0a and may have a shot at working

Thanks in advance

2. markm75

markm75 Gawd

I may also try this other selector switch the wolfpack 5x1.. any experiences on that brand?

3. linuxdude9

linuxdude9 Limp Gawd

I use the Sewell SwitchDeck HDMI 2.0 version.

4. markm75

markm75 Gawd

I dont know how i missed this one.. will give it a shot. Found here on amazon for $79

Are you also sending a splitters output to it, without any blackouts?

It appears it supports the full 18gbps too.. i just hope that you can select a port that is offline/off (for harmony remote switching).

There was another sewell that i read had an issue with it blowing up hardwares hdmi ports.. so i was trying to avoid them, but i'm not seeing any indication of that here.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. geok1ng

geok1ng [H]ard|Gawd

that amazon link has the most comprehensive title possible:

SwitchDeck, 4K HDMI 2.0 Switch by Sewell, 5x1 Distribution Amplifier, 4K at 60Hz, 3D, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 Chroma

I loved how they made sure that even a hdmi illiterate like me can understand the switch capabilities :)

6. markm75

markm75 Gawd

I finally have a list of several of these that work..

By work i mean either they split and dont drop the signal, or they split and can output hdr to one set and regular to a regular set (not at same time) .. this was VERY hard to find.

Of course in no case can you split the signal and plug in the elgata and still have 4k on the 4k tv, it will naturally default to 1080 when capturing (so i use a switch to flip back and forth so the capture is either disabled or not).

This is the only splitter i found that does the job:

***Smartooo Splitter, ( other brands just drop signal randomly aka this one failed the test or require you to cycle power on the selector switch when you are trying to view content on the second tv thats not on the selector switch )

Of the selector switches these were the ONLY two that worked in conjunction with the splitter i found that actually works and doesnt randomly drop signal...

Smartooo Premium 26041C 4 port selector switch
    -issues.. you cant split the ps4 pro signal and expect hdr on the hdr tv, unless you first unplug the output to the tv from this selector switch, or you pull the output from the splitter that sends the ps4 signal to the selector switch.. the edid will assume its a non hdr tv even if hdr, so long as the other non hdr tv is plugged into the selector switch, even if the input selection is NOT the ps4 pro.

Even better and the one I went with.. is this:

***Sewell SwitchDeck HDMI 5 port selector switch
    -no known issues with my testing.. if you switch to a non ps4 selection, you CAN get HDR on the other HDR set that splits off the splitter, unlike any other solution
    -POSSIBLE issue.. another model sewell was reported as "blowing" out the hdmi port on tvs.. this model has no reports, but i am a bit concerned in the long run

Side note> This 5 port Huierva wouldnt take a signal from the splitter without constant drops.

7. markm75

markm75 Gawd

update: spoke too soon.. once i put that smartooo premium back in play (splitter) and used it for more than 20 minutes, the blackouts and hdmi handshakes started occuring again.. happened with both the sewell and the smartooo premium 4 port switch..

back to the drawing board i guess.. or i might just give up on using a splitter from the ps4 pro.. and make a switch for the other output to the tv in my other room, so when its switched it goes there.. as far as the splitter for the elgato, i guess the only choice there is to just put it in line with the connection if recording game play at 1080p60 is desired..

I'm not convinced its the fault of the splitter.. its just some sort of edid issue passing the hdcp 2.2 signal along i think

edit:

Someone posted a link to this elsewhere:

https://www.conferenceroomav.com/AVProConnect-/AC-DA12-AUHD.cfm

Seems a distribution amplifier that supports cascading is probably the only way this could ever work then perhaps?

Looks like the 2 port is $249 while the 4 is $349.

A bit too much for my needs really.. no elegant cheap solution for the part time splitting that i technically do i guess.