Cascade Lake-X Pricing and Model List

Well I mean can anyone honestly say they are surprised? This is pretty much exactly the product we all expected at the price they had to drop it to.
Only to get crushed by TR 3 next month lol. I can see AMD dropping a 24 core under 1k and 32core around $1400.

Oh, absolutely. TR 3 is going to be killer!

I'm going to be interested to see how it competes on a per-core basis. AMD has been catching up to Intel and I'm hoping they can bring their chips to near parity, or even exceed Intel then I might look at one for an upgrade. Sadly plenty of games, including my main game of choice (Elder Scrolls Online) get bottlenecked by one primary thread so having the fastest per-core performance is the key to getting them to run the best. I mean realistically that is the only reason (and a somewhat weak one at that) to upgrade my rig, nothing I do is actually CPU bound, 6 cores is more than enough for anything I do.

I'm going to be interested to see how it competes on a per-core basis. AMD has been catching up to Intel and I'm hoping they can bring their chips to near parity, or even exceed Intel then I might look at one for an upgrade. Sadly plenty of games, including my main game of choice (Elder Scrolls Online) get bottlenecked by one primary thread so having the fastest per-core performance is the key to getting them to run the best. I mean realistically that is the only reason (and a somewhat weak one at that) to upgrade my rig, nothing I do is actually CPU bound, 6 cores is more than enough for anything I do.

Sounds like the 3700x or especially the 9700KF is more your market. Almost certain they’ll have better gaming performance too.

HEDT is obviously not for you.
If I could afford it, I would get HEDT...

I'm curious to see a breakdown of which updated aspects will work with existing X299 boards. Given the low pricing, this might actually be worth an upgrade for me if a CPU-only swap will allow me to run 256GB.

This is how th y got 2x performance per $... Cut price in half, leave performance the same.
This just shows they were over charging tremendously if they can cut the price in half and still make comfortable margins.
Interested in seeing benchmarks though, hopefully there are some real world improvements.

Well I mean can anyone honestly say they are surprised? This is pretty much exactly the product we all expected at the price they had to drop it to.
I'm surprised, I thought they would be to stubborn and keep inflated prices honestly. Guess they are feeling the competition with this drastic of a move. Oh what actual competition does.

I'm curious to see a breakdown of which updated aspects will work with existing X299 boards. Given the low pricing, this might actually be worth an upgrade for me if a CPU-only swap will allow me to run 256GB.
I believe the loss is going to be minimal. Like 2.5G networking wont work on existing as they wont have the new Intel 2.5G chip. Only other thing im unsure of is the extra 4 lanes.
This is how th y got 2x performance per $... Cut price in half, leave performance the same.
This just shows they were over charging tremendously if they can cut the price in half and still make comfortable margins.
Interested in seeing benchmarks though, hopefully there are some real world improvements.
Its kind of funny to speak about performance because there is zero indication of how this is going to perform right now. This is technically a new architecture and not just a Skylake refresh. :facepalm:

in a very wide thinking way, greed just kills everything, lack of competition is inversely tied to such in this case as it becomes ever more $$$$$$$$$ to even try and make something to compete with an even faltering/flagging corporation such as Intel or AMD Nvidia et al

Not to mention I suppose, does one not have to also use those drastic price upcharged components to build their competative lower priced ones at some point, I know full well AMD did and does use their competitions stuff, i.e likely the $1200 card we wince at buying they really do so when they are buying likely many many more than that (to bust them down / reverse engineer I can only assume not to copy but to PREVENT themselves from copy what they should not.

-----------

Good to see Intel doing something proper now though instead of just throwing all odd excuse out the marketing door all bully fashion to incite sales $$$$$$$$

Bout time! Looks like I'll finally be firing up a new gaming rig early next year and finally retiring my 4790K which has had a very solid 5 year run.
Considering a HEDT CPU for gaming :ROFLMAO:.

The 9700KF is the best CPU for gaming and it's available now.

I believe the loss is going to be minimal. Like 2.5G networking wont work on existing as they wont have the new Intel 2.5G chip. Only other thing im unsure of is the extra 4 lanes.

Its kind of funny to speak about performance because there is zero indication of how this is going to perform right now. This is technically a new architecture and not just a Skylake refresh. :facepalm:
I would say we should wait on the [H] review before buying :whistle:

They said 2x performance for $.... If they cut the price in half, then same performance, 1/2 price makes this a true statement... Obviously I have no clue what the performance is which is why I stated am interested in actual performance numbers, just poking fun at their 2x perf/$ statement.

They said 2x performance for $.... If they cut the price in half, then same performance, 1/2 price makes this a true statement... Obviously I have no clue what the performance is which is why I stated am interested in actual performance numbers, just poking fun at their 2x perf/$ statement.
gotcha, sorry just been seeing so much shit talk from AMD people on the Intel subreddit so i mistook what you said. :)

What an amazing time for enthusiasts. I'm going to be going HEDT/Threadripper for the first time on my next upgrade. For no good reason. Just waiting on my current system to show a reason for replacement.

Sounds like the 3700x or especially the 9700KF is more your market. Almost certain they’ll have better gaming performance too.

I have been happily surviving on a 9600 i5 at 5 Ghz. I rarely use more than six threads myself. It's all up to what the use case is for your setup. For the price, at the time, an i5 was all I needed... (Though I run four rigs so... I have to kinda spread my cash around a little more to do so and that likely impacted my transitioning to an 8 core Intel as well) That being said, I do have a 3600 6 Core/12 Thread processor in another rig and the performance is damn near identical save for in single thread and some games. However, that AMD processor just beats my i5 9600 to death in desktop productivity and desktop publishing. I think I will complete my transition back to AMD's secret sauce next year, if I don't find the time to heavily load and test my spare (AMD) rig this year. I am in the process of moving between houses. Sold the old one, living in temp space and then have to buy and move into a new one. I think I will just be using the Intel system for the time being.

I am just going to stay aligned with the consoles because all I do is game and so many games are ports. 8 core supposedly for Xbox Anaconda, so I'll just wait for the 9700K to drop in price again if they go 8C/8T or 9900KF if they are 8/16.

Only as good as motherboard support. Usually high end intel motherboards that have two star ratings on Newegg.

I am just going to stay aligned with the consoles because all I do is game and so many games are ports. 8 core supposedly for Xbox Anaconda, so I'll just wait for the 9700K to drop in price again if they go 8C/8T or 9900KF if they are 8/16.

you are so wise beyond your years my son. i bless you with 60fps and humble 1080p.

This is what you call too little too late.

Only as good as motherboard support. Usually high end intel motherboards that have two star ratings on Newegg.
X299 Shopping Guide:
EVGA X299 Dark and Asrock X299 OC Formula are the best two existing X299 boards. Avoid Gigabyte altogether. Make sure VRM has active Cooling or a heatpipe. The EVGA X299 Dark is the undisputed king still and probably will remain. If you do get one replace the battery before you install it. EVGA got a bad batch of batteries.

Well Zen2 Epyc destroys Intel in a way perhaps no chip before has ever so thoroughly smacked down the competition. I'm not sure price cuts to AMDs pricing is going to save Intels HDET business when the new TRs drop.

Well Zen2 Epyc destroys Intel in a way perhaps no chip before has ever so thoroughly smacked down the competition. I'm not sure price cuts to AMDs pricing is going to save Intels HDET business when the new TRs drop.

I think that's going to depend on the quantity and availability of TR. If TR is plagued with availability issues like the 3900x has seen it could be a bit of a different story and the price slashing by Intel could be good enough.

I'm more interested at the moment behind Intel's reasons for the price slashing. My personal guess is this is proof that Intel isn't going to have anything in the HEDT and probably server space for a couple of years yet to properly compete with AMD on the performance front. It's likely an indication that as we already know 10nm is dead in the water and Intel is pinning the future on its 7nm node and architectures using that. It's simply not normal for Intel to slash prices like this unless it's considered absolutely necessary.

It's simply not normal for Intel to slash prices like this unless it's considered absolutely necessary.
Clearly Intel has been ahead for so long, that was "normal", but now AMD is back in the game in a serious way. Intel is smart to respond.

you are so wise beyond your years my son. i bless you with 60fps and humble 1080p.

I'm cool with that. My 1080Ti and Sony X900E have sat unused for months. Yesterday I was playing Heavy Gear II in Win98 SE on a Pentium E6600 and 7900GS. Today maybe I'll play through Xcom Apocalypse again.

Back