Carriers REMOVE S5 download "booster"...

Another example of corporate greed at its finest. FU Verizon.

wat? How so? :confused:

It sounds to me like they don't want customers blowing through their 500MB monthly data caps in 1.5 mins because they didn't understand that it's using LTE bandwidth, as well as WiFi, to transfer data.

It seems like a pretty neat feature, but I can completely see why a service provider wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. It's a class action law suit waiting to happen.

It sounds to me like they don't want customers blowing through their 500MB monthly data caps in 1.5 mins because they didn't understand that it's using LTE bandwidth, as well as WiFi, to transfer data.

It seems like a pretty neat feature, but I can completely see why a service provider wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. It's a class action law suit waiting to happen.

A pop up explaining what will happen isn't sufficient? Maybe with a check box that you need to "tick" off??

A pop up explaining what will happen isn't sufficient? Maybe with a check box that you need to "tick" off??

I would have rathered them left it on the phone, but just disabled by default. Then when you go to enable it, have a pop-up explaining that the phone will can your carrier data plan even while on WiFi (which probably happens anyway).

Another example of carriers overstepping their bounds. I'm amazed at how much control they have over OEMs. With as big as Samsung has gotten, I hoped that they would grow some balls like Apple and refuse to let them add bloat and remove features from the phone. At this point, Carriers needs Samsung more than Samsung needs carriers (unless all carriers unanimously decide to say FU and not carry them).

People let their kids rack up thousands in charges in apps, rack up thousands in roaming charges even with text notifications...and you have faith that people will understand this? :p

Like someone said, they probably just want to avoid lawsuits, since EULA's and the likes never seem to hold up in court.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that didn't remove this feature.

good for them

I would have rathered them left it on the phone, but just disabled by default. Then when you go to enable it, have a pop-up explaining that the phone will can your carrier data plan even while on WiFi (which probably happens anyway).

Another example of carriers overstepping their bounds. I'm amazed at how much control they have over OEMs. With as big as Samsung has gotten, I hoped that they would grow some balls like Apple and refuse to let them add bloat and remove features from the phone. At this point, Carriers needs Samsung more than Samsung needs carriers (unless all carriers unanimously decide to say FU and not carry them).

It is pretty surprising that, to date, Apple has really been the only manufacturer to be able to hold the carriers by the balls in that regard. Ultimately I think that it was AT&T's fault for giving Apple complete control of the original iPhone (and likely Steve jobs persuasive nature)... And the rest of the carriers wanted the handset so bad, because of customer demand, they were willing to do the same thing.

I think they learned their lesson from that unfortunately and it's unlikely that we'll ever see a repeat unless there is another ground breaking mobile device that service provides consider a 'must have'

T-Mobile is the only carrier that didn't remove this feature.

good for them

T-Mobile is the only carrier that actually attempts to do what the customers want. I'm surprised by how unfriendly Sprint is even though they are probably the worst of the bunch in terms of coverage/service.

If people don't understand what's going on with their phones, they all need a jitterbug , not a flagship phone.

Also, you'd think that the carriers would be all for them unintentionally blowing through their caps. More money for them.

If people don't understand what's going on with their phones, they all need a jitterbug , not a flagship phone.

Also, you'd think that the carriers would be all for them unintentionally blowing through their caps. More money for them.
But the reality is that the vast majority of people DON'T understand what's going on with their phone and as far as they're concerned, it's a little box that does black magic that allows you to make calls, text, and facebook messages.

This saves the carriers a lot of headache and prevents the headlines of GALAXY S5 OWNERS BLOW THROUGH DATA CAP AND CHARGED $50,000 IN OVERAGE FEES DUE TO VAGUE FEATURE

Sucks but as far as these big monopoly companies are concerned, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - you're in the latter.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that actually attempts to do what the customers want. I'm surprised by how unfriendly Sprint is even though they are probably the worst of the bunch in terms of coverage/service.

I' m not sure i agree with your coverage comment. I've used all four major ones and tmobile has the worst coverage by far. They also provide the best service in an urban area so its a trade off. But spring coverage is pretty good, you can get service on the highways. ATT is pretty good, Verizons is by far the best but they want your first born, a thousand dollars and rights to the likeness of your image to get service and they are the most restrictive when it comes to what phones you use. ATT is almost as bad as far as that goes, but just almost :p

I am in 2 minds.

I see it as possibly illegal to sell a S5 as a S5 when its features are removed.

On the other hand that is a dumb feature, people like my dad have been caught out by 3G in the past. Although I think the feature would be ok as long as there is a big ass disclaimer warning about fees etc.

crap like this makes me even happier I just switched to Straight Talk and a Nexus 5 :)

sure it's not a flahship phone, but it's fast, sexy, and I own it for 500 dollars less than I would otherwise pay :)

I' m not sure i agree with your coverage comment. I've used all four major ones and tmobile has the worst coverage by far.

You must have not used T-Mobile in the past 2 years, they've changed. I receive better service and better data speeds than I ever did when I was with Verizon. Sure they don't have 3G blanketing the earth but for city use it works well

I will still never understand why they didn't just leave activated. Its up to the user if they want to use it or not. Just put a huge warning that will warn them that this will use data. Maybe they are afraid of customer backlash if they happen to leave it on?

I don't see the point in the feature anyway.....

I won't defend the carriers actions though and them hiding it is stupid.

Back