Carmel, Libra, and Andromeda Are the Next Wave of Surface Devices

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to internal documents acquired by Thurnott, three new devices are joining the Microsoft Surface family. The first is the Surface Pro 6, internally known as Carmel. The other, all-new products are Libra, a low-cost Surface Tablet, and Andromeda, a pocketable computing device rumored to release this year.

Before anyone asks, there was no release date mentioned for a Surface Laptop or Studio update in the documentation. That being said, the Laptop is mentioned several times as being key to brand and I fully expect that it will be updated in the near future. As for the Studio, I can’t imagine Microsoft abandoning that product at this time and it’s likely that its future was detailed in the documentation that I have yet to see.

Has anybody had any success running Linux on a surface device? I have a gen 1 surface book that I like, except for the fact it runs windows. Yes, I know that running a flash disk would probably go a long way towards answering this question, but I want to know of peoples' experience with it.

Oh, I am sure they will beat that dead horse for years to come. They can never simply accept that people don't want their garbage hardware...or that Windows is a relic that absolutely no one needs or wants on a mobile device.

Has anybody had any success running Linux on a surface device? I have a gen 1 surface book that I like, except for the fact it runs windows. Yes, I know that running a flash disk would probably go a long way towards answering this question, but I want to know of peoples' experience with it.

I have Ubuntu 18.04 dual booting with the Windows 10 insider builds on my Surface Pro 3. All the drivers for everything installed automatically, touch and pen work along with the Type Cover and even the accelerometer. While everything does function there a lot of rough spots. High DPI support is very inconsistent, battery life is substantially less than under Windows 10 and the precision track pad doesn't work very well. I've not spent much time trying to tweak it so I'm sure a lot of it can be improved. But out of the box the device is useable.

Oh, I am sure they will beat that dead horse for years to come. They can never simply accept that people don't want their garbage hardware...or that Windows is a relic that absolutely no one needs or wants on a mobile device.

The Surface line for the last four years is well beyond garbage. As for Windows on a mobile device, I think there's definitely a market for a smartphone device that is Win32 compatible which Windows phones have never been. Not saying it would be a huge market, definitely more of a enterprise type of device.

Back